Rain Gear

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, first post here. I've been riding for a little over a year now, just got an FZ6 this week. I've been looking into rain gear since I have a 45 minute (at the speed limit) commute to work, and in NW PA it can rain any time it pleases. So my question is, what rain gear seems to work the best? I've seen a lot of options, one piece, two piece, slip ons, etc. Where should I start? The jacket I have now is water resistant, not proof, and I don't have riding pants or boots yet (yes of course I have a helmet).

Thanks in advance guys!

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to wear a Dry Rider two piece oversuit up until December when the pants ripped up the leg. I only wore it about 10 times. Kept me completly dry though! Never had any problem with water getting in my Scorpion EXO 1000 helmet or my A* GPS3 boots (the non waterproof version). I would stay away from the Dry Rider if your looking for something more sturdy, which it sounds like you are. I did like how easy it was to just throw it on when I needed it. Seems like a one piece would be somewhat difficult to put on over gear.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im in the same situation as the OP, but in South Jersey. Subscribed!

Keep an eye out for a NJ/PA ride, Erci usually gets one together when it warms up:rockon:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Look into frog toggs, also I have a 2 piece water resistant riding suit I wear everyday, it works great for about 30 min but after that the water gets through, but I just coated it in tent water proofing spray about 2 months back and now I can go about a hour in a good hard rain with out it soaking in.

So look into frog toggs and tent spray

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
My riding gear is all "waterproof" which, of course, means it leaks like a sieve. So I use lightweight packable hiking/outdoor rain pants and jacket to actually keep me dry. Galyans jacket and Red Ledge Pants. I wear them UNDER my riding gear and it works perfect.

If you get waterproof gloves put your jacket cuff OVER the glove's gauntlet. This may seem counter-intuitive, but trust me, its way better than doing it the other way around.

I've been using Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 gloves for several years now and they still keep the rain at bay. They are also insulated so I wear them all through the winter.

For an affordable, truly waterproof boot you can't beat the Tourmaster Solution WP. Again, years of service and these things have never let a single drop through. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/94/35780/ITEM/Tour-Master-Solution-WP-2-0-Road-Boots.aspx
2011-Tour-Master-Solution-WP-2-0-Road-Boots-Black.jpg

Oh, and throw a set of Michelin Pilot Road II tires on there. They are great in the rain!

Last edited:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting so much feedback so fast! I like the tent-waterproofing idea. To those of you that have luggage carriers, is it the two side by sides or one on the passenger seat?

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great screen name dude! :welcome:

I have no idea about rain gear, I am a fair weather rider! Good luck and ride safe/dry. :)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
invest in some decent quality goretex stuff

i made do for the first year with some "waterproof" textiles, and an oversuit, but it's much easier and convenient to have proper waterproof stuff.

remember at highway speeds it's like being hit with a pressure washer.

I have a set of dainese evo gator jacket and trousers which are awesome, though they may possibly be too warm if it's hot and wet (but we don't get weather like that here)

rukka do some good stuff too, and i'm sure there's a few other brands.

there's goretex alternatives, but tbh most of them are crap. My hipora gloves are completely permeable to water now.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, first post here. I've been riding for a little over a year now, just got an FZ6 this week. I've been looking into rain gear since I have a 45 minute (at the speed limit) commute to work, and in NW PA it can rain any time it pleases. So my question is, what rain gear seems to work the best? I've seen a lot of options, one piece, two piece, slip ons, etc. Where should I start? The jacket I have now is water resistant, not proof, and I don't have riding pants or boots yet (yes of course I have a helmet).

Thanks in advance guys!
I live in Ireland and only get to wear my summer gear about 12 days a year.
With that in mind I have switched to textile gear, kind of best of both worlds. When the temperature picks up I just remove the linings and its pretty cool (temp wise) to wear.
Have a look at these reviews. First one is about waterproof over suits.
The second is on textile gear.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/Ride Magazine/Product test pdfs/16 may09 OVERSUITS.pdf

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/uploa...ct test pdfs/3.5 SPR08 Textile suits test.pdf

Nelly