Replacing fork oil

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Want to replace the front fork oil around March or April 2018...

Of some strange reason I have never done this before (just let a local shop do it).

In the FZ6 service manual I can't seem to find the part where they explain how to drain the front fork oil without disassembling the whole thing... Or do I really need to do this to drain properly?

If yes... In the FZ6 service manual page 4-45 there are several parts that Yamaha recommends to be replaced. Are all these parts (in reality) necessary to replace?

I believe the springs are still good (they are not the original ones) + there is no leakage.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
The forks must be removed to change the oil. If the fork seals aren't leaking there is no need to replace them.

... So I there is no leakage don't have to replace anything (except fork oil)?

In the middle of ordering a bunch of other stuff (like new clutch parts) so might aswell get as much as possible on the same package.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
... So I there is no leakage don't have to replace anything (except fork oil)?

In the middle of ordering a bunch of other stuff (like new clutch parts) so might aswell get as much as possible on the same package.
Once they are off the bike and the springs are removed, just turn them upside down over a pail and pump them. You should consider getting additional fork oil so that you can go through a few 'fill, pump, drain' cycles to flush out as much of the fine particles that accumulate in the fork oil.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add, once the fluid is clean (flushing), re-fill and pump the forks several times to make sure the fluid level is UP to spec.

I measured mine with a long thin screwdriver marked wit the correct level..