Respect for the Sport

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I started riding in the mid 80s in Florida and at the time Florida had a helmet law so I wore a helmet but no other protective equipment (Also back then most people rode bicycles without a helmet.) I ended up losing the bike in the late 80s and haven't had a bike until a few months ago. Later, I think in the 90s Florida changed the law not requiring a helmet. So now I have the opportunity to ride all over Florida without a helmet but I would never do it. That is because I believe helmets prevent brain injuries that would other wise result from the head impacting the pavement or a vehicle.

So lately in the forum I see posts of injuries from riders not wearing their protective gear or others not wearing gloves that becoming defensive when it is pointed out.

We live in a world of social norms and what use to be a norm 20-30 years ago is now considered absurd like riding without protective gear. How does one justify riding a motorcycle without a helmet considering that it only takes a minor amount of force to create a sever head injury. The brain is cover by fluid and if any blood comes in contact with the brain that portion of the brain dies. The brain stem at the base of our head controls our motor functions. I know this as my sister was in a car accident and had her head jammed into the top of the car hood impacting the brain stem. Now she sits in a nursing home without the use of both legs and minimal use of one arm/hand.

The point I am trying to make is we need and have prominent motorcycle people standing up and saying what should be right about motorcycle riding. The more that do stand up and express their concerns the more others will start to take heed. We all have the free-will not to wear protective gear and to ride dangerously but in the long run mishaps that injure or kill devastate more than just the rider.

Many sport riders need to come to their senses and understand and respect the dangers before they are sitting in a nursing home for life from a motorcycle injury caused by high speed or some smart ass stunt.

I say "Thank you!!" to the ones in this forum, in riding books, and magazines that emphasis safety and teach techniques that can be used safely but still allow each rider the ability to enjoy the sport.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Tampa..
Really well said. Common sense these days isn't so common. I just returned from a week in Orlando and noticed probably a dozen motorcycle riders out there without helmets. I saw 2 guys on sport bikes wearing full face helmets but no other protective gear. When it comes to the amazingly hot weather I encountered there I wouldn't ride at all unless I could be in full gear. My limit up this way is 90 degrees and that is pretty uncomfortable all geared up.

Kudos to you for being smart about riding/gear. Agree that people on this forum make it impossible to forget about AGATT.