Review your helmet.

so far the KBC is ugly

god ugly

rediculously ugly
But, the nice thing about an ugly helmet is, once you put it on, you never see it again unless you stop behind a Ford F-750 with those 2'-tall chrome bumpers... :D

GMAX and Shoei

I ordered the GMAX GM68S as it was voted the helmet of the year by webBikeWorld.com. I can't complain about the helmet since the great reviews and lo- price were unheard of. :) I got the crusader design, but had to send it back, as I ordered a size too large. I'll review it more when I get the Large one.
gmax-helmet.gif

However, since the helmet did not arrive in time for my brand new bike, I bought a light silver Shoei RF-1000. I love everything about the helmet except for the price. Ventilation, weight, and noise filteration are above par.
rf1000_lightsilver.jpg

Last edited:
<<<-----As in my avi, I'm currently using an Arai TourX (think it's the DR stateside). It's basically an MX lid with a removable visor so it can be used with goggles; the peak can be removed also if ya want the 'streetfighter' look.

As always with Arai I am very happy with the quality and general construction and would recommend it to everyone.

I also have an X-Lite 8800(something like that). I've not really used anything other than Arai or Shoei so it feels slightly inferior. The little catch for the air duct on the chin broke after a couple of monthes and the cheek padding was not as supportive either as it deformed slightly.

I ordered the GMAX GM68S as it was voted the helmet of the year by webBikeWorld.com. I can't complain about the helmet since the great reviews and lo- price were unheard of. :) I got the crusader design, but had to send it back, as I ordered a size too large. I'll review it more when I get the Large one.
gmax-helmet.gif

However, since the helmet did not arrive in time for my brand new bike, I bought a light silver Shoei RF-1000. I love everything about the helmet except for the price. Ventilation, weight, and noise filteration are above par.
rf1000_lightsilver.jpg
Who did you order the Gmax helmet from and how much?

Ok with over a tank of fuel on the Suomy Spec 1R-extreme I am very pleased. It has a very cool feature for the chin strap snap. It is a extended red plastic piece that holds the loop down and away from your neck, and it centers it.
It is also easy to grab and hold onto. The liner is luxurious. Very soft and comfortable.
The fit takes some getting used to. It is designed to fit a little differently and holds tightly to your orbital socket rear, cheek bones and mandible attachment (temporal madibular area? is that right) The venting is good, and I do not find it to be noisy as described on webbikeworld. I think it has to do with my head shape. I have a long oval head, and it is discribe on WBW as a round shape, but again I do not agree. I have no areas of loose contact. The cheek pads are tight but are begining to form to my face.
The graphics are outstanding. The best in the helmet market in my opinion. It seems almost every girl that sees it, tells me she likes it. LOL Its a good coversation starter.
I got mine from KneeDraggers.com - Sportbike Parts, Accessories, and Apparel It came with a clear shield, a iridium rainbow shield, and a dark smoke/blue mirror shield.
I would buy it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
HJC CL-15 for $69 from Newenough in blue and white to fit the Yamaha. For the price, I am very happy. I had a CL-SP before and was happy with it too except it had too much space in the chin area for air/noise to come through. The CL-15 is less aggressive and fits slightly better.

I have 2 helmets, an HJC CL-15 in blue and a Nolan N100E Classic modular in titanium.

First, the HJC. This is absolutely the best helmet I've ever owned...period. It fits perfectly (I would say I have more of an "egg" shaped head). The venting is fantastic and the shield almost never has fogging issues. I have the clear shield for riding after dark and the dark smoke shield which is on it most of the time. The "quick-change" shield mechanism is what has really impressed me on this helmet. Raise the shield to it's fully open detent, slide a lever on either side, and pop, off comes the shield. Putting the other one on is just as easy. IMHO, the helmet isn't heavy and I've done all day rides without ever thinking it was weighing me down. All-in-all, I'd recommend this helmet without reservation.

Now, the Nolan. I've only had this helmet for a short while so I don't have a ton of time in the saddle with it. But, from first impressions, there's a reason it's called the "Classic". I'm very impressed with the build quality and sturdiness of the modular flip face. My first helmet ever was a modular (a Zeus 508) and I thought, a really good helmet. Now that I've got this Nolan, the Zeus is crap by comparison. I have the two shields for this helmet too, clear and dark smoke, and while the shield mechanism is a little more intricate than the HJC, and take a little more time to figure out, once you have the shield on the helmet, it's as smooth as butter to operate. The detents are strong and hold the shield in whichever of the 3 positions you put it in. I tend to ride with the shield just cracked open slightly on hot days and both these helmets offer that position (on other helmets, this wasn't the case). The venting on this helmet is even better than the HJC, as you can actually feel air moving in through the top vents on the top of your head. I really got this helmet to be my main helmet on hot summer days, since it's a lighter color and I thought it would be slightly cooler than the blue HJC. Another fantastic thing is the chin-strap mechanism. Every other helmet I've owned has had the D-ring type chin strap. This one has a buckle-type lock. On one side is a plastic or rubber serrated strap that simply slides into the lock on the other side with a reassuring snap. You can adjust the length of the strap to fit your head too. All-in-all, I'm completely impressed with the Nolan.

Gmax G68s:

Impressions:

Graphics: A
Optics: B+
Mechanicals (visor release, straps): C
Air Flow: A
Noise: D
Overall Quality: C

Its good for the price, but I am still considering returning it and getting something better.

I just got an icon airframe helmet. Venting is great keeps me nice and cool.
Pros: Looks great, fits very well, and can quickly change the visors.
Cons: Visor has a lock on it makes it harder to open, and two of the vents open from the inside only.
Ride Icon

Just picked up an HJC FS10 after using an AC10 for ages. Loads better fit, lighter, really good value for the money (£200). I've had an Arai before that was £400, and I don't rate that a lot higher (HJC 8/10, Arai, 8.5/10 max).

Plus, it has a cool integral sun visor that is easy to use, and so handy. I've used the sun visor nearly every day that I've had it, where a smoked visor would be OK, the inbuilt one allows you to go back to clear once the sun is out of your eyes.

A+++ Highly recommended!

I got an Airoh Warrior helmet on closeout for around £80. It fits OK but fogs like a bastard and you can't get any fog city inserts or anything because of the funny shaped visor :(

It's not bad, but I won't get another one. I'm getting a Shoei next.

Anyway, here it is.

Airoh_warrior.jpg

I have a Shoei XR1000 (Miju) with pinlock. My visor is progressively tinted. (Yes we do have sun overhere) Also a wisper strip is added reducing noise to a minimum. I still use ear plugs against the noise of the riding wind.

After almost 20000 km in 3 quarters of a year the inner patches have widened causing a little bit of lift of the helmet at high speed. (Over 140 km/h)

Overall I am very satisfied with my helmet alltough the price is pretty high, more than 450 euro's. But what is price when it comes to your own safety, no?

I have the HJC CL-SP Barbwire. I am satisfied with it. No complaints, I think it is a very good helmet for the price.

mc2f.jpg

I've got the Fulmer AFM Modus. Noisy at highway speeds, a little foggy in the cold.

However, it was $125, so I think it was a good value, it's DOT and SNELL approved.

Good value, but not a great helmet.

I use a Scorpion EXO-400. I tried a large on in the store, but ordered it online, no Tax and free shipping= 150USD. After a few around the house trials I decided to get the next size thinner cheekpads. So far I am very happy. I have yet to get the aero skirt in the mail yet. Hopefully this will help with noise a touch. Visor is no fog and works great. I rode around in mid-high 40's and had nothing but a clear mask.

AKUMA SHAOLIN DRAGON
Red Visor

attachment.php

Cost (US): $449 (Extra Visor Included) [$399 w discount]
Out of Print

Safety 10/10
Visor 10/10
Graphics and Paint 10/10
Weight 9/10
Comfort 9/10
Sound 7/10

Final: 9.1

SHOEI MULTITECH
Gold Visor

Shoei%20Multitec%20Modular%20Helmet%20Motorcycle.jpg

Cost (US): $550 (Extra Visor Included)

Safety 9/10
Visor 9/10
Graphics and Paint 10/10
Weight 6/10
Comfort 8/10
Sound 10/10

Final: 8.6

Z1R Stance. Don't bother. Safe helmet with excellent fit for round heads but non-removable liner, non-replaceable cheek pads, venting is horrible, chin protection is WAY too close to your lower jaw. Visor will not stay cracked open at all above 40 mph unless fully opened. I got a DEEP discount on it when I bought my '05 bike. Looking for a new helmet now but I'm being SUPER picky! :D

Back