Ride report to Death Valley, well almost

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
A Triumph, a Honda, and a Kawasaki went on a three day ride.
Photo Mar 25, 6 11 25 PM.jpg
Guess which one returned alive? The Triumph, of course.
Photo Mar 25, 6 11 25 PM.jpg

Day One was great! Temps were cool, but not bad. Rode one of our favorite road on the way out of town - Geiger Grade to Virginia City. We did a roundabout way South because we were expecting snowy/icy roads over the Southern passes (Mammoth Lakes area).

Day Two was when it got interesting. My hubby's Honda's battery was dead when we went to leave in the morning. I pushed started him (our friend was conveniently unavailable). We gassed up and stopped at the turn off for Death Valley for our friend. When we went to leave, I got to push start him again. His voltage meter on the bike was reading 10 or dropping quickly. We turned around and parked the bike at our hotel from the night before. I found a battery in Bishop - 58 miles away. Hubby and I went 2up for the ride to Bishop. I emptied out a pannier to carry the battery back to his bike. Meanwhile, our friend on the Kawasaki was having problems with his fuel pump. It just started turning off and the bike would stall out every 10 miles or so. He would stop and then the bike would restart and was good for another 10 miles. So much fun. We got back to Hubby's bike and installed the battery. It started and we started for Death Valley again. As we rode, his voltage was dropping slowly and within a mile our friends bike stalled twice. We decided something didn't want us to go to Death Valley so we turned around about 100 miles outside the park and headed North on 395 towards home. The volatge kept dropping. Got to 9.3 and Hubby thought to unplug headlights to reduce power needs. We stopped in BIg Pine for lunch. Called our son and had him head South with our truck and cargo trailer. When we left lunch, Hubby unplugged his headlights and I got to push start him again. We met about halfway between Bishop and Reno. Loaded up and headed home.

So, Death Valley will have to wait for us. We will be back....

Attachments

• Photo Mar 25, 3 44 07 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 25, 3 44 07 PM.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 64

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Main thing is everyone is home safe and you can say this was a shake down ride. Interceptors used to be known for eating regulator/rectifiers.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
You should have left them both on the side of the road...that'll teach them Triumphs rock.

J/K Glad you got the boys home safe.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Clif, We thought it was a sign that we weren't suppose to go to Death Valley that day. The thing is this was our third attempt at getting there. The two previous Spring Breaks we tried to ride to Death Valley, but weather prevented us from going.

You are right about Interceptors. It was the stator. We took it apart on Monday. All but two and a half coils were fried. He ordered one online, but it is back ordered until mid-April. We went by our local Honda dealer to order a shim for his dirt bike (valve adjustment) and they matched the online price and it'll be here Friday.

During this crisis, I remembered some of the battery, R & R, and stator conversations on this forum. I gave Rich advice based on the information I remembered. I think that helped us get home safely. That and my hubby is pretty good at this sort of stuff.

We are going to give it ago again in a few weeks. We will make sure his Interceptor is in good working order first, of course. I'm thinking I'll be sick on a Friday or Monday in a few weeks. lol I am off for Spring Break these past two weeks so this time was more convenient, but we will make it, eventually.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
You should have left them both on the side of the road...that'll teach them Triumphs rock.

J/K Glad you got the boys home safe.

HeeHee. The owner of our local Triumph dealer loved my story. He laughed.

We had a MotoGP race watching BBQ at a fellow rider's house last night. I told the story there. Our friend with the Kawi with the fuel pump issue warned me that when my bike breaks down he is going to give me a lot of sh*t. lol But wait, it's a Triumph. I have nothing to worry about. That and my hubby keeps a close eye on my bike making sure it runs good. He takes good care of me. :cheer:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn sorry you didn't make Death Valley.....I've heard that this year was an exceptional one for the desert flowers.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn sorry you didn't make Death Valley.....I've heard that this year was an exceptional one for the desert flowers.

Brenda it was incredible in Anza Borrego Desert. One Saturday the police and rangers were turnining people around and sending them back up the mountain because there were too many people coming into town, leaving there cars and walking off into the desert. Lisa and I turned around before that and decided to try going in the middle of the week. That worked but it was still very crowded. We went off road on a trail and I took a few photos. Lisa walked into a Jumping Chollas cactus LOL! I spent some time plucking the tines out with tweezers.
We had lunch at Carmalitas (Where we eat when we group ride into Borrego Springs)which was so crowded. As usual the food was great!

https://goo.gl/photos/eiNbUY1VEEhYxBLp8

https://goo.gl/photos/qkbYKHxwUAt9D1Ly6

https://goo.gl/photos/KMWyHtxMo99ufSLT6

https://goo.gl/photos/fZ5wV4cdEonhxeKm6

https://goo.gl/photos/3nGcpNQxKANGhdHD6

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Brenda it was incredible in Anza Borrego Desert. One Saturday the police and rangers were turnining people around and sending them back up the mountain because there were too many people coming into town, leaving there cars and walking off into the desert. Lisa and I turned around before that and decided to try going in the middle of the week. That worked but it was still very crowded. We went off road on a trail and I took a few photos. Lisa walked into a Jumping Chollas cactus LOL! I spent some time plucking the tines out with tweezers.
We had lunch at Carmalitas (Where we eat when we group ride into Borrego Springs)which was so crowded. As usual the food was great!

w0btzdrpu4OrXt_isR1Pp5_deS3v5cn37_gCfgWwZviECGn9BsNyoOBTsriY52H0KkqH2hZcLRyI-NkJDGXXckYP267dVS9-CVBwUZ6YzTthDgScLIn77h16OKs-Ce4q1llCbLFSb9AHkRD-w89MCpA0A5P3gRyUN8JctftU5srOM9xsauiO7_vWCZbWpbEzZu15Q-3THL6Wdv6j-uAwfcHKCe00Q0vpx9VISxQPKXiFaSE0NTX1eKnyy3PHm3C_pGjI6Y_YK1b58MnhbGHm_Wvj886ewGod5LleRa0OSccd-oCkmqx5AaF2kJnSTHxTg-sAYQ8322bWfMwTMidGspe74eq3o8sw3yR6VlVw-9c-P_VUfzwXI5q8Pj3rAFdxlPTQelkRcIiiqLBpSUPGc6vZ7gd-OnJkWkGWB3AEGAlIVdtErSb7G1lyMxEdxABLGFcei4zt45NOVBX5Ng7I4O-66I_UKf5Xu2PduzMdTKbz_Cetx1l7uMUi49W7NEfiqGOw-v64kGDQo5ms0HvenV66VpvYij2FTBg6lGe1aZ_WsADzjqIMPhtsOJUGzKUdiuLUtLlt7F8jywtKLERmk8TuLWM92Uo8IyJVfETCulDe1kcYGzf-=w874-h581-no

nBsMt63SEMA4Ce7VSijDCpIa_qO_NoAlEQC8-lfCsYCZd1c3RWZ0YEmIZ4Ot5XdwxM2MNDfWdfGSu9QMZYc3gcXfepBKmhmg9eqzERKB9MjTTEu6Fl1udsL5Twd4wP_8nk4L1z9tgp1yJDN_imqj33Q8BI0rgSn_BoM-y6hSDWUL1ibaQyYWvuV4_Nl6ewqH5U1zJ9PHFGB46ZMUfd2_MHg-PgZOV1K8L8cUP9-PGICeuAoFV6JZj1MUQAgN9xLGGxaBqEehOVvlrX1URPjw_GLkOfYLcfscJSGvT3cV59TrCxovdcqiyEkKgJ3paQz2KKXacMjctzuzjSU9Q7SWdgMCm5zy3dFUypHIEnJXlcrYnoG8FTjm-90S-MCkqpQXHGdeV5oS0fOakC-o6Kq21Y6ofyJuElMjUtSx8Jiwto-7UX767AATbX2p3PIqLJ68y5MB_iUaX87rROd1GlI-YIkHZvbb7zUqk_Pt0GLMd_wZbWoOtEeljFPKjGDJtV4o5PTjois9nITqSB1_m1-5FGZSLtW7z-awsixwdVlEqlrOSB7UrU6vGW20NMtUjOlZ41Gh-QVYbTmTSByacxswUoEB392wiCqkNibxVtvHJxaGlyc3gRc_=w874-h581-no

crKV3UGJLQxsQdXnzQaO06UGOmnG6b9nSsa63KfYECmxYfp3VrApVHBe8rabJMUU6xdTGzZZy5YSzip9WDyMgyDoQXty24brmpHf64xr4VoQOBj7TYLnQdwo4qnXO_CAW7H3k3lSVXJDcARG7emEEt67VPEo7ETv341yTaccfoN3NCUNWijIH53J337Dl5dXVaNKJ_H2UvZGarUeBSUBSduCh0kTloNOaNHWrqN_I2UF6KPDMN1bly-QGoxo9Tm-9iX1QdpZGBEWm7s7X9Eg-PnpOpYImceA5xJdciJ80UAH1skVsxEnFxODsdMRkeDcU7HdeVKxNzTmSGk0WBr8WDtCO4bMqe_7Qm7xEdQzkzrCSbmGX5ABQVQLyDUUbXbRZlL_IH0AcgkM3KhCV9t936RceMXbUg3UVMiruTU-_77uVs6EEzHmgPkKiK3hfNO9tX4nmMsLD3H_XM5fxR-hoHgGrMhLOhfH05zDKe_2gammYF_BBdEysWk4mDZQb-pD7X2BHGhSMZZso3qMKd1qTnM4A3OI-1xVJUigngv0e0Ny5m1h22BJQvmkp4MpzAHB23HkWB2rK8zSyLn0yrb2A1H_JTDcYLl5lDfuVBy9UgjZgl3WHxNO=w874-h581-no

fXHbwOLQC3stlxBIVDqszxoIQplWsUUhS0YuLLyxq1VxxXAeOI4aqaW0RX2RgaoF4I6Lm56W4RawBItCawRAdbYixpeelMs2le3YIgE6i6I44EHWA6R2dbdFqwjOhzRLVUB-nALEo3JNtqkvxh_bt_OHeag763TVbI3mKOLwHcveN5MTSRNm3u8jQ1pokA3NHODLyj-gauHsv2If98huGuYz5OT9y2cqs-scWzSrV5ZdiErig1h3ktRy9IWEitMvpd_pfmLRNPSTOTo30BSpCiUsPhUYdZPs9sr5IvElDkyuPGVRtfmO4ijT-3Ycq-F9xupJ2fqD9wCOMp3X8G0mtPd7J5oWvzqeviLsXGYTIK3nL1mGFWHN-D3sruWuj1wvR2V5cuDZ9rMpyfMtbANLsy7vLe4UPm-e6LAfYLccccXj8mlZwxA6WpntfLAN3xomEgCyqh1bcJlO9ysJNUSKPOCFf-Pk24b1doqr0iQ_ZU8gb99QijSGyEW6K7IChuD19jjnjnhGSuZ7Q4-IwqfZoLsysDmesikPEZhMsnyh0yAEj_y4xhlzdcG8OytXhCKPxIwAEKh3sqiByq8TNRa-A_G3xoS18UTowdzncXBckb13I39uveV8=w874-h581-no

Thanks Cliff and I wish I could "see" your pictures :confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Cliff and I wish I could "see" your pictures :confused:

I posedt them in my last post but I guess your computer needs permission. They showed on this computer but I was logged into the account. I logged out of my account and now I see they don't show on this computer either. They're probably to large to upload here but I'll try ... sorry...

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I posedt them in my last post but I guess your computer needs permission. They showed on this computer but I was logged into the account. I logged out of my account and now I see they don't show on this computer either. They're probably to large to upload here but I'll try ... sorry...

I appreciate the fact that you tried for me :hug:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the fact that you tried for me :hug:

I added links. You should be able to click on the link, then click on the picture when the page opens and you should be able to also zoom and pan in the picture. Let me know if they work.. :)

Monica, The links in post #8 were the pics I took last Wednesday.

https://goo.gl/photos/3nGcpNQxKANGhdHD6

Last edited:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site

We're thinking about having another go at it this weekend. His stator is suppose to be in by Friday. He plans to install it & then we will head South. We just have to line up a dogsitter. I''m off school until Monday....

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I added links. You should be able to click on the link, then click on the picture when the page opens and you should be able to also zoom and pan in the picture. Let me know if they work.. :)

Monica, The links in post #8 were the pics I took last Wednesday.

I was able to see them. I'm logged into my Google account, so that might be why I could see them. The flowers were beautiful. Did you switch to car? We were thinking about doing that, but we really want to ride....

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
When your wife push starts you twice in a day you know the marriage is SOLID.

:D

We've been married 27 years - he's put up with me this long, the least I can do is give him and his 600 pound bike a push start. Besides, he fills up my bike with gas and maintains its. The least I can do is push start him a few times (ok, 5 in a day but who's counting).

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry that your spring break didn't turn out as well as you hoped, but it still was a very entertaining trip report. LOL... on GM conveniently not around whenever Rich needed a push start.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry that your spring break didn't turn out as well as you hoped, but it still was a very entertaining trip report. LOL... on GM conveniently not around whenever Rich needed a push start.

Yes, "conveniently' GM wasn't available. How did you know it was him? lol

SSA is still down. A Dragon has to do the registration for the site. He is the only one with the credentials. GM already paid the domain fee..... ugh!!!

Luckily, the admin on this site is on top of things :thumbup:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice Pics Cliff. Last year in Death Valley was a super bloom. We were there mid feb. ,just stunning.

So JEALOUS!!!! We've been trying to ride there for 3 years!!! Spring Break is perfect because temps aren't too warm in the valley yet. We planned a few hikes in the valley so we don't want to go when it's 120 degrees. Besides riding at that temp isn't fun either. Might have to switch to car. gggrrrr....