Rubbing noise at slow speed

FZsixRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had new tires put on two days ago. at speeds below 10 mph when I'm dragging the rear brake or just coasting about to stop I'm hearing a rubbing noise from the front left of the bike. It's not constant and it doesn't pulse. Thought it might be chain so i relubed it. Still hearing noise. Wasn't there before tire change. Any ideas?

Check your tire hugger clearance. Just put it on the center stand have a friend sit on the back so you can rotate the front tire and figure out what it is ;). Or prop up the header with something. paint can??

Check for proper wheel alignment and chain slack. Dealers typically fudge both of these when they install tires. If the rear wheel is out of alignment the chain will enter and leave the sprockets at an angle and create noise and wear. Same for proper chain slack. The dealers seem to believe that the engineers that build and set the specs. on the bike don't understand that you can use a piston stretcher to make everything fit. They'll over tighten the chain and tell you it will stretch. They are telling you the truth. The chain will stretch but it will wear or crack a bearing race on the main output shaft in a very short time.

The chain slack and wheel alignment are related in that as you change wheel alignment the chain slack will change and visa versa.
Spend a little time learning the procedure and you'll be very satisfied knowing it's correct all the time. There are many ways to do the wheel alignment and here's one that I like and do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7f9y0MFIPY]Motion Pro: How-To Video: Chain Alignment Tool 08-0048 - YouTube[/ame]

I checked the clearance on the hugger, I have a finger width of space between tire and hugger. Ill have to order a wheel alignment tool (I liked the one in the video). Alignment being an issue makes sense, that's what I get for trusting the stealership to do a simple task I didn't have the tools to do.

When I got to work this a.m. I realized that the front of the seat wasn't locked in properly (dealership?). So I took the seat off and repositioned it the way it should be and locked the seat down. Didn't hear the rubbing noise on the way home. Could the problem really have been that simple and stupid?

Back