Saddle bags and exhaust heat.

Bassieh

Dark Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got some secondhand saddle bags to extend my luggage capacity. Strapped them under my seat and they stay in place without problems. I'm just not sure if they can withstand the exhaust heat because they are hanging against the heatshields. Till now I just rode with them to work so my exhaust won't get too warm. They have some thicker padding on the outside so it won't burn right through. Also the straps run over the metal brackets underneath the seat.

Will this get too hot during 2/3 hour drives? Don't want to lose them in the middle of the street. Anyone have issues with similar bags? And how about aftermarket exhausts? Do the outside of aftermarket exhausts get hotter then the standard heatshields?

1a1eca760492c087e6c8d35dc96ba6ed.jpg

bf7ccc58508f67536e6f30ffda4f6803.jpg

f28afa46af9693da6a2455e0e2a4e366.jpg

c7b4a8404f757ae1ce7234c14091bff0.jpg

Also the inner supports/liners weren't included with these. I also think that's why they're hanging a bit more. Anyone have an idea where I could get such support/liner to make the bottom a bit more sturdy? Or how it's called actually?

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
The exhaust pipe heat should not damage or affect the bags. Actually the contact is with a plastic shroud or cover not the muffler itself. I've had soft bags since my FZ was new.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
No problem, I took trip with mine. The heat shield covers it. The bag just feels warm.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bassieh

Dark Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's everyone.
It's good to know I don't have to worry about the heat then. Anyone have experience with aftermarket exhausts?