Said goodbye to my FZ6 today

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I said goodbye to my FZ6 today. It's been an AMAZING bike and works well for pretty much everything. I take a lot of long rides and I've been saving my pennies, so I decided to get something more suited to that task. I really wanted to keep the FZ6, but my wife had other ideas (and I'm out of space in my tiny garage anyway).

So I traded it in and got this.....a 2010 BMW R1200RT.
IMG_0144.jpg

With topcase.
IMG_0140.jpg

Other side.
IMG_0145.jpg

The beemer has abs, partially integrated brakes, heated grips, heated seats, electronic suspension adjustment, electric windscreen (which is super effective), cruise control, and lots of other doo dads (+720 watts of juice to plug in stuff). Hopefully the final drive won't blow up (damn - just jinxed myself!) It's light for a touring bike and it's a hoot to ride.

I stripped some of the extras off of the FZ6 and will be posting them for sale soon. Stay tuned....

Last edited:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow :rockon:
Congrats on the new bike/spaceship. I'm thinking on getting an F800ST. Same weight as the FZ6 not as good looking but has a belt drive, heated grips, ABS and I like that the side cases are designed especifically for the bike.
I notice on the BMW motorrad website the new 1600 cc 6 cilinder touring machine, I don't know if they will sell it in the USA.

BMW Motorrad International

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
man does it have a propeller too? you can sail to Greece anytime!! i wish i was that big to handle a bike like this...hehe
enjoy your new toy!!!

turbo311

Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?
Reaction score
Visit site
NIIIIIICE!!! Love that boxer engine! Trust me, people will think you're a cop riding that.

I plan to sell my FZ for a R1200GS and do a ton of adventure touring! If not a Ducati Multistrada.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
OOO...me likey the BMW! And it sounds like it's much more suited to your style of riding.

BTW, if one of the "goodies" you took off are the engine guards and footpegs, put me at the head of the line for those that might be interested in taking them off your hands. :thumbup:

Skrapiron

Mr. Know-It-All
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck and enjoy the bike....

The only thing that has kept me out of a BMW show room is the maintenance costs on the bikes... Some models, it's not unheard of to shell out $1200 every 10k for maintenance..... Hopefully yours isn't one of those!

Ride safe!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck and enjoy the bike....

The only thing that has kept me out of a BMW show room is the maintenance costs on the bikes... Some models, it's not unheard of to shell out $1200 every 10k for maintenance..... Hopefully yours isn't one of those!

Ride safe!

I've always done all of my own maintenance. I'm going to let the dealer do the first few (600 mile service is about $150-200; 6000 and 12000 mile ones are similar). As I buy the tools for it I'll take over. There aren't many dealers around and I'm between two that are both about 100 miles away. On the plus-side, you can get in for a service quickly and get your bike back the same day. The farther away you are, the quicker they work on your bike. They also give out loaners.

Valve checks (even on the new boxer) are a snap. No coolant to worry about (not that this was any big deal on the FZ6). Oil is easy. The alternator belt at 36,000 miles can be pricey I hear. Changing a clutch is brutal (requires engine removal as I recall - it also uses a dry, single-plate clutch which takes some getting used to). Wheel removal is super-easy. No chain to worry about, although it's $$$$ if/when the final drive goes. It'll take a while to pull all the plastic off, but it rarely needs to come off. The battery is easy to access.

I imagine the K-bikes are MUCH more expensive to service because the engine is hard to access and they're much more complex.

I would never consider a BMW if I wanted "value" anyway. Few bikes can beat the FZ6 in that category.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
OOO...me likey the BMW! And it sounds like it's much more suited to your style of riding.

BTW, if one of the "goodies" you took off are the engine guards and footpegs, put me at the head of the line for those that might be interested in taking them off your hands. :thumbup:

Ok. You have "dibs" on the guards/footpegs first - if you get back to me within 24h of when they go up for sale (and assuming you want them and we can agree on the price, of course).

I will be posting all items for sale tonight (in the appropriate section and with pics/full descriptions). UNTIL THEY ARE POSTED, I WON'T HOLD ANYTHING ELSE FOR ANYONE, SO STAY TUNED........

I'll be selling the risers/bar-backs, topcase, Powermadd handguards, two touring windshields, and engine guards with footpegs. Everything else went with the bike or I'm keeping it.

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
BMW R1200RT

Fantastic bike. I had a SE one for a year before the FZ6. Only reason I don't have it still is because it was a company bike and went when I left the job :( I used to do hundreds of miles on it with ease, never got cold or wet. Invested in a lot of BMW clothing (which I still have), expensive but boy does it work. Loved all the extras (even fitted a heated waistcoat plug on the FZ6 because I couldn't live without it in winter).

I only had two problems:
- fuel computer lied ie I ran out of juice when it said I had half a tank to go. Repaired on warranty and when I broke down, BMW breakdown cover was fantastic, in no time a nice man arrived in a 5 series saloon to sell me a few litres of gas
- if I dropped it, as I did (twice), I needed help to get it back up. For that reason only, I might think twice about taking it solo to remoter parts, but in the UK there's always someone right around the corner

Have a good time on it!

Simon

PS get the BMW inner bags for the side and top cases - makes packing/unpacking so much easier!

Last edited:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Selling off my FZ6 farkles! See the "for sale" folder for pics, prices, and descriptions....

-engine guards + pegs

-Givi V46 topcase

-risers/barbacks

-two touring windshields