Scorpion Can leak

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed that my Scorpion cans are riveted at the seams and some exhaust is escaping out of the front side of each can, near the clamp. Do you think this is the contributing exhaust leak. Does anyone else have Scorpion cans and noticed this, or are my cans defective.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed that my Scorpion cans are riveted at the seams and some exhaust is escaping out of the front side of each can, near the clamp. Do you think this is the contributing exhaust leak. Does anyone else have Scorpion cans and noticed this, or are my cans defective.
I've got Scorpion CF cans. I haven't noticed anything like your problem. I've done about 1000 kms with them. Going strong.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Just so happens i noticed this with my Scorps yesterday morning , contacted the supplier and im waiting for a response from them :thumbup:.....Note that there is no sooting around the leak and no exhaust leak "ticking" sound..

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine leaked at the joints so I used Holts firegum (liquid gasket) on all the bits to seal them in. Work brilliantly, didn't look brilliant though. Details on my website.

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Just so happens i noticed this with my Scorps yesterday morning , contacted the supplier and im waiting for a response from them :thumbup:.....Note that there is no sooting around the leak and no exhaust leak "ticking" sound..
Unfortunately I'm not the only one. Do you think that is a contributing exhaust leak? I don't see how the seams on the cans by the rivets can be sealed.

I used high temp sealant to seal all the clamped areas, the only areas that I still have exhaust still escaping is out of the riveted seams.

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine leaked at the joints so I used Holts firegum (liquid gasket) on all the bits to seal them in. Work brilliantly, didn't look brilliant though. Details on my website.

Exactly what I did .
Works but boy does it look c**p!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
You have a few choices... send them back to Scorpion for repair, repair them yourself, or live with it.

I assume the cans are designed to be rebuilt when the packing stops absorbing sound.

As a result of that, they have to be designed so that the outer cover can be removed to allow the repack. Probably the rivets are supposed to be drilled out, so the cover can be removed... when the packing is done, simply re-rivet the covers in place.

I would not think caulking the edge of the can cover to the front plate would be a good idea, as that would make future disassembly more difficult. Maybe a high temp O ring could be added?

The issue here is whether the leak you are observing, is causing you issues. Are you getting backfiring in the mufflers? Have you made other mods to the exhaust, like removing the CAT? Airbox? Have you had the motor re-mapped to enrichen the mix?

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Seek,

I had the same problem. Sealed all clamps with permatex grey, but still had minor airlow out of the rivets. Contacted Scorpion and distributor, both stated that the cans do not use gaskets, so there will be a litle airflow until the carbon builds up, usually after about 1k miles. In the meantime, I ran a thin membrane of permatex clear around the rivets which helped build everything up. Since then, I have removed the permatex (pain) and the rivets are sealed nicely.

As I'm notoriously anal, it bothered me, but a little patience might be in order. If not, try the permatex clear.

And the Scorpion cans are NOT designed to need repaking according the the ompany. Just FYI.

Scorp

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I just read the original post again, I just had leaking where the pipes joined onto the Y pipe and where the Y pipe joined onto the stock cat pipe. That's what I used the firegum for. My cans don't leak anywhere else.

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
You have a few choices... send them back to Scorpion for repair, repair them yourself, or live with it.

I assume the cans are designed to be rebuilt when the packing stops absorbing sound.

As a result of that, they have to be designed so that the outer cover can be removed to allow the repack. Probably the rivets are supposed to be drilled out, so the cover can be removed... when the packing is done, simply re-rivet the covers in place.

I would not think caulking the edge of the can cover to the front plate would be a good idea, as that would make future disassembly more difficult. Maybe a high temp O ring could be added?

The issue here is whether the leak you are observing, is causing you issues. Are you getting backfiring in the mufflers? Have you made other mods to the exhaust, like removing the CAT? Airbox? Have you had the motor re-mapped to enrichen the mix?
I do think this issue is leading to some backfiring. I have no airbox or cat mods. I think REO Scorpio has the answer though.

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Seek,

I had the same problem. Sealed all clamps with permatex grey, but still had minor airlow out of the rivets. Contacted Scorpion and distributor, both stated that the cans do not use gaskets, so there will be a litle airflow until the carbon builds up, usually after about 1k miles. In the meantime, I ran a thin membrane of permatex clear around the rivets which helped build everything up. Since then, I have removed the permatex (pain) and the rivets are sealed nicely.

As I'm notoriously anal, it bothered me, but a little patience might be in order. If not, try the permatex clear.

And the Scorpion cans are NOT designed to need repaking according the the ompany. Just FYI.

Scorp
REO Scorpio,

YOU ARE THE MAN! You have the answer I needed but I do appreciate EVERYONE elses help!!!

When your cans leaked do you think that it lead to some backfiring (not popping) occasionally. I understand the popping but I get a backfire occasionally and I know all the clamp areas are completely sealed.

I think I will try some high temp clear and maybe a 1/2" wrap and screw clamp around tha seam at the can clamp end.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
REO Scorpio,

YOU ARE THE MAN! You have the answer I needed but I do appreciate EVERYONE elses help!!!

When your cans leaked do you think that it lead to some backfiring (not popping) occasionally. I understand the popping but I get a backfire occasionally and I know all the clamp areas are completely sealed.

I think I will try some high temp clear and maybe a 1/2" wrap and screw clamp around tha seam at the can clamp end.
Seek,

I had minor backfire initially, faded as it built up.

Now all I have is that sweet pop when I release throttle from high revs :)

try it out and give it a few hundred miles and shoot me a pm update if it's not helping. After about 1k on the pipes with the clear, I took 0000 steel wool and some autosol and removed all of the excess.

And thanks for tHe props. I know firsthand how this forum rules for helping each other out. Just glad I could help someone else be at ease, as countless other members have done for me.