Sea Foam

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
So I put Sea Foam in the bike this morning. Hope that it cleans some of the stuff out of my injectors. The exhaust popped a little after riding for about 35 min. Good sign?

Anyone ever use this stuff? I've had success with my uncle's jet ski but never noticed in my SUV.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have never used it on any car or bike i have ever owned, never needed to. unless there is something wrong with your bike there should have been no need for you to have used it. if it was an old carb bike from the 1980's maybe.

D

Dave.TX

If you're constantly using low quality "mystery" gas that is dirtier than name brand or Top Tier gas then I guess running a cleaner through the system once in a while is a good thing. I remember in CA that ARCO gas was pretty much the lowest grade, dirtiest gas you could find. I try to run Top Tier gas through at least every other tank if not more and have had no problems in any of my vehicles the last 10 years.

Sea Foam is good stuff, lots of people swear by it and I believe it's the best cleaner you can get. Not everyone needs it, though. Run a tank of it and if nothing changes then your problems lie somewhere else.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use it and Techtron on occasion as a preventative measure. It seems to work well on small engines (weedeaters, etc) that have much smaller orifices and are much easier to clog... It helps keep the top end clean as well as the fuel system.

If your having any water problems, I found a product that seems to work very well and eliminate the problems of ethonol. I used it in my boat gas tank, (a 1997, 50 gallon) which was gathering, as expected, small amounts of water/moisture. This stuff doesn't eliminate the water but gets it in suspension so it'll burn off. I DO NOT have any water droplets gathering in the fuel filters anymore. It'll also clean injectors. Its not cheap, but it seems to work very well. Fuel will go foul in as quick as a month so if the bike does a lot of sitting, put something in it to preserve it...

K100 Fuel Treatment : Fuel Additive, Fuel Saver I use the K100 MG...

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i use seafoam and it works , havent tried on the bike but i might use it as a fuel stabilizer for when it goes in winter storage

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
I like using it once a year or so. Its only $7 for a bottle and you get two uses from the bottle if you want. My uncle put it in his jet ski and after 45 min you could see and the difference. My ski was no longer the fastest on the water.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone used seafoam in the vacuum lines to clean the rest of.the motor? I seen videos and what not.where a car will.blow smoke for about 10min but anyone in here ever tried it?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

S

Shamus McFeeley

Seafoam is great stuff, but kind of expensive these days. B12 chemtool works the same way and is half the price. Usually I'll put a few ounces in the tank when I change the oil. Mostly the stuff is made from MEK, one nasty chemical, but it cleans oh so good.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seafoam is great stuff, but kind of expensive these days. B12 chemtool works the same way and is half the price. Usually I'll put a few ounces in the tank when I change the oil. Mostly the stuff is made from MEK, one nasty chemical, but it cleans oh so good.

2 cents:
because it loosens and breaks deposits free; you might do this a on the last tank of gas BEFORE your next oil change so the debris you broke free is dumped out rather than remaining in circulation in the oil system.

I've just used Chevron Techron.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol you guys must get your gas out of dirty mop buckets to have so much trouble with clogged injectors and gummed up engines.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol you guys must get your gas out of dirty mop buckets to have so much trouble with clogged injectors and gummed up engines.

You would be surprised the kind of gas some of the gas stations sell. My buddy worked at a gas station years ago and to this day they sell off brand gas when they are a branded gas station.

My uncle only buys gas from one station in long island and his injectors were clogged up but its the only station in the area.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You would be surprised the kind of gas some of the gas stations sell. My buddy worked at a gas station years ago and to this day they sell off brand gas when they are a branded gas station.

My uncle only buys gas from one station in long island and his injectors were clogged up but its the only station in the area.

I have always just used franchise gas stations and never had any issues (Sheetz, Chevron, etc).

S

Shamus McFeeley

2 cents:
because it loosens and breaks deposits free; you might do this a on the last tank of gas BEFORE your next oil change so the debris you broke free is dumped out rather than remaining in circulation in the oil system.

I've just used Chevron Techron.

I don't use it in my crankcase, I use it in the fuel tank.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone used seafoam in the vacuum lines to clean the rest of.the motor? I seen videos and what not.where a car will.blow smoke for about 10min but anyone in here ever tried it?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Actually my friend got a Kawasaki 500 twin, super low miles (under 400) with gummed up carbs and rusted gas tank. It did not run... It sat under a tarp in SW Florida for at least 2 years in the heat and humidity...

He didn't want to remove the carbs, (I would have cleaned them) so instead we drained the carbs (drain screws on the bottom of the float bowls-didn't remove them) and filled them up with straight Seafoam and let them sit. Eventually drained the carbs, hooked up the gas tank after cleaning and cranked it up. Ran on one cylinder for a couple of minutes (smoked like a b....!) then ran on both cylinders. Ran great after that, never cracked a float bowl..... Very impressive in my book.

And yes, I'll put a couple of ounces in the top end of most of my small engines (and spin over) I don't use often to keep the top end from rusting up. It'll smoke some but does tend to clean the piston/valves...

Its got directions on the bottle for cleaning the top end of a car engine...

Both Seafoam and Chevron Tectron both work... For water dispersal (haven't used it long enough to comment on cleaning) the K100 is extremly amazing.... Ethonol likes to collect moisture so its another tool for me in my tool chest...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Actually I use Mobil Fuel 99% of the time in the bikes and SUV and ethonol free fuel in the boat now...

The FZ6 idles dead steady at 1000 RPMs and runs like a raped ape(my daily driver)... My FJR the same...

Just preventive maintainance as far as I'm concerned. Its easier for me to put in some additive than to trouble shoot a problem that may develope, especially if you don't run the machine every day.

My 4 stroke Yamaha 150 HP boat engine sips gas. If I go thru 5 gallons a weekend, its alot. With a 50 gallon tank, it will accumulate moisture over time... It is FI and uses many parts similar to the FZ as a matter of fact.

Fuel breaks down in as little as a month and will gum your fuel system up if it sits, much more so with a carbed engine...

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone interested in using this or any other fuel additive, here's a real world, empirical test. Pull at least one spark plug and check the color. Then run a full tank treated with Seafoam, recheck color of the same plug. This would probably work best if the plugs are not new but have a few miles on them.

I did this with my 06 Roadstar (notorious for carbon build up and sticky exhaust valves). The plugs were the OE plugs that were in it the day I bought it new. They had about 6-7K miles and were dark brown on the white ceramic electrode insulator and black and sooty around the edge and close to the center electrode. After the tank of Seafoam (At their recommended "Shock Treatment" mixture ratio) the plugs came out looking clean and almost new. I concluded that if the plugs were cleaned, the whole combustion chamber, valves and valve stems, were cleaned as well. No more sticky exhaust valve symptoms either!

Just one mans experience! Some additives ARE Snake oil, I feel I have proven (At least to myself) that Seafoam does what it claims.
Phil

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't use it in my crankcase, I use it in the fuel tank.

And how do you think the oil gets dirty to begin with?

The top end makes the crud (blowby past the rings) the bottom end has to live with until the oil is filtered/replaced.

Cleaning the top end breaks down the carbon putting it in the oil!