Seat scuffing tank

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got this mint 09 and haven't taken her on any rides yet, but noticed that the seat at front is stuffing the tank. If this a common issue?

pu9ehure.jpg

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Seat stuffing tank

I have about 1/8" between the front sides of the stock seat and the tank, no paint rubbing..

If that's the area your talking about, its possble someone didn't have the front bottom tab of the seat in properly, maybe it bent around and rubbed. If that scruff is beyond the seat, its likely a previous operators leg/jeans, etc..

IMO, no its not a common issue.

Below is a pic of my 2 year old (on the bike) 2007 tank (for sale), no scruffs at all. Double click to enlarge it..

Last edited:

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site

It's definitely the seat chafing, as the stuff lines up perfectly to the front edge of seat.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

It's definitely the seat chafing, as the stuff lines up perfectly to the front edge of seat.

There is a little bit of wiggle room with the tank. There's two bolts (10mm heads) and a hinge bolt at the rear. Usually, you can loosen them up, slide the tank forward a little bit and re-tighten, that may help.

You could always put some clear 3M (heavy duty) tape on the tank, right there (it shouldn't be seen) but will prevent any further scuffing...

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site

Will try and move the tank forward a bit. Yea, I'm gonna stick some take on both sides. Thx

I'm thinking that if your the type of rider who squeezes the tank when riding, this is bound to happen.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Will try and move the tank forward a bit. Yea, I'm gonna stick some take on both sides. Thx

I'm thinking that if your the type of rider who squeezes the tank when riding, this is bound to happen.

I was in the bad habit of NOT squeezing the tank for that reason.. Finally popped for some really good tank protectors, Techspec (snake skin):

Home page

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site

Yea, might have to get some of those side pads. I'm here in Canada though.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Hmm.. .. .. I just figured you're squeezing her too tight! Blah

FWIW: mine has contact. Buts its much worse on the top of the pods.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the scuffing is a normal occurrence. I have owned 7 FZ6's and they have all had scuffing similar to your first photo. A good polishing/buffing compound will minimize the "foggy" look.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the scuffing is a normal occurrence. I have owned 7 FZ6's and they have all had scuffing similar to your first photo. A good polishing/buffing compound will minimize the "foggy" look.
Same here. Mine's had it since I bought it a couple years ago. Doesn't bother me much.

norcalwelder

Reaction score
Visit site
After 60,000 miles, mine was starting to scuff so I put some clear anti-chafe tape on there. No idea where to get it, I used some specifically for airplane flaps that we had in the hanger.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After 60,000 miles, mine was starting to scuff so I put some clear anti-chafe tape on there. No idea where to get it, I used some specifically for airplane flaps that we had in the hanger.

This is excellent tape that I use (on the inside of my helmet lock brackets to protect the the frame): ISC helicopter, leading edge tape, 14 mil

ISC Helicopter-OG-HD Surface Guard Tape at FindTape.com

I looked at my gap while under way, all the way forward on the seat and squeezing the tank, I still have space there. Maybe I have the tank slightly forward, dunno, but definitly no touching..

Last edited: