Shad Racks

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking into getting a Shad 50 Top Case as well as some side cases. I was wondering if anyone here has either/both the top rack and side rack combined with SCORPION exhaust.

Just want to make sure they will fit before ordering. I tried emailing the company without much luck.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Shad Topmaster rack with round Scorpion slip-ons, no problems whatsoever, doesn't even come close to the exhaust which is why I switched from a givi FZ351 Monorack when I fitted the scorps.

Can't comment on the side racks though I'm afraid.

Yamahaboyz

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I'm definitely ordering the top rack and Shad 50 in blue or Shad 48.

Anyone with Shad side cases and Scorpion exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone rocking Shad side cases with aftermarket exhaust at all? Don't want to spend the $270 or so on the rack to find out I have to go back to stock exhaust/FE.

Or maybe other side racks that work with aftermarket exhaust?

WIyamirider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have aftermarket exhaust (Remus), and the SHAD racks. I have the topcase rack currently mounted, but have not mounted the sidecase rack yet.

Here are the installation instructions for the SHAD sidecase rack. They don't use the exhaust mounting brackets, and if you have an FE, probably wouldn't need to relocate your turn signals either.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have aftermarket exhaust (Remus), and the SHAD racks. I have the topcase rack currently mounted, but have not mounted the sidecase rack yet.

Here are the installation instructions for the SHAD sidecase rack. They don't use the exhaust mounting brackets, and if you have an FE, probably wouldn't need to relocate your turn signals either.

Thanks for the info., its must appreciated. My real concern is with part #14. I feel like as the license plate light will be slightly moved already and that te scorpions may be in the way of the crossbar.

If you can, let me know if they causes any problems for your install.

And again, thanks!

Scorpio

WIyamirider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll see if I can loosely install them tomorrow and get some pictures of how the mounting brackets all work together.

It looks like bracket #14 can be flipped upside-down if need be for any clearance issues.

WIyamirider

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some picture of how the rack looks mounted.

Sorry for the less-than-stellar pictures, but it was the best I could do without pulling the truck, sled, snowblower and lawnmower out of the garage.

I mounted that #14 cross brace in a few different positions to show how it would look. The last position hits the cans on my setup.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally got my Shad side cases and top case installed.

Really like the quality feel of the pieces and the racks themselves. While the side cases are a little less stable in their latch design, the product still feels put together well.

First, the not-so-great. My only real gripes are that the cross bar for the side racks tap my left Scorpion can, I chipped each handrail with the screw that holds the top rack to the rail, the reflectors are nudged by the side cases (design flaw), and that changing out the lock cylinder doesn't seem as intuitive as I originally guessed. All the above can be seen in the pics.

The wind geometry definitely changes (expected), as well as the turn-in when loaded (also obvious). But the cases are really solid are their rack with absolutely no movement. Space is fantastic (made my first grocery trip on the Fizzer).

Overall, I am happy with the look. The SH-50 top case is big, but works well and my GF loves the backrest. It also looks pretty sweet without the top case and just the sides. Makes me feel like I'm riding a horse with saddlebags.

I already know that I'm going to love having the luggage. I'll be doing a lot of back and forth to Michigan on the bike this summer so it should more than pay for itself. Hell, just being able to make a grocery run on the 2nd really nice day here without getting the SUV was awesome.

Scorpio

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The top rak is a fairly straightforward install, but it is very easy to scratch up the grab rail like I did (pic above).

Before tightening ANYTHING down, I get it all fitted loose, ten slowly snug it up watching the screws around the grab rail.

On a side note, I'm currently dealing with SHAD USA with an issue of the turn signals being different heights on the side racks, and they had been nothing short of amazing. Great product, excellent support.

Scorp

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As an update to this (and I'll probably copy over something to the Vendor section), Michael over at SHAD USA has been nothing short of amazing in terms of looking into a problem (for a few of us) where the side racks aren't even and the cases actually rub against the signals.

I took a bunch of pictures and sent them over, and he forwarded them on to Spain where the technical department is. After doing some research, they have grabbed an FZ6 and are looking to reproduce/redesign the side racks. I'm told as soon as this happens (almost finished), that a pair will be immediately sent to me.

That's pretty top notch service. The follow through has been great, but also polite and very genuine.

Then, to sweeten the pot, while waiting I got an email from Michael asking if I'd like to try out a new Shad seat while I'm waiting. All they ask for in return is a few pics and some feedback. Apparently, they've taken pity on me. I tell him he is a few weeks late and that my TS seat had just returned from France, and he says do it anyway. So now I am in the middle of testing out and reviewing the Shad and the TS seat while I wait for my racks. While I haven't put nearly enough miles on either to give any true comparison, I will say that if I had ordered the SHAD first, I would never have looked to TS. While not as "couchy" comfy as the TS, it is wide and snugs you on a some stiffer but comfortable material. Definitely none of the discomfort that I got after about a half hour on stock.

I'll get a full review on the two in a few weeks when I put on the miles necessary to make a real opinion. Then look for one of 'em to wind up in the for sale section. Michael assures me that while he hopes the Shad comes out on top, its mine to do with as I please.

And then it gets better. Through our email discussions, which are lengthy on my part, I let him know that the blue is a little off from my '09 and I'd wonder how the black covers would look.

Yep, they are on their way.

I appreciate and respect companies that view a sale as a relationship and not just a transaction. Thus far, SHAD (Michael) have proven that is the attitude they are taking.

If you're thinking of making an investment in either some luggage or seats, drop them a line. You won't regret it, even without the freebies.

Scorp

SmokeEater37

Reaction score
Visit site
Revisit time. Got mine installed and now 5 months later 3 of the 4 screws mounting the rack to the passenger grab rails have fallen out. Using radiator hose clamps to keep them on now. Kind of disappointed in that design.