Shad seat

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks great! I was about to order a Top Saddlery seat but this makes the decision harder. According to this pdf (http://www.shad.es/descargas/shad1949.pdf) the contact surface has been widened 25% and with stiffer foam on the actual sitting area which as I see it would be a major upgrade over the stock seat.

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
saw the the other day when I was checking out the luggage,
lotsa other neat stuff too...looked sat the dealer page, none
in Canada, sent the Co. an email to find out about this, no
reply....guess they don't like Canucks

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I received my seat made by Shad today. Attached are a few pictures when installed and one comparison to the original one. As you can see, it is quite a bit wider and has more defined edges on the sides. There is also a ridge in front of the passenger seat to keep the passenger from sliding forward.

Ok, then to the initial impressions:

-The seat is made from quite a bit stiffer foam than the original. This is great as you don't sink in one position as you would in the original seat.
-The additional width helps (with the above mentioned stiffness) to reduce getting your butt numb when riding for a longer time. I only tested it for about two hours of continuous riding today but so far no numbness or similar symptoms :) With the original, about 1 hour at a time between pauses felt enough for me.
-It is much easier to move around or hang from the side when cornering. Also the stiffness of the seat helps greatly when accelerating from a corner as you get lots of support from the sides and the back.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the seat now. The original seat was the one disturbing thing about the FZ6 for me and this issue should be fixed now. Time will tell how the seat feels on longer rides....

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Yamaha Rack

It is sold as Yamaha original at least here in Europe, see:

Yamaha Topcase Carrier

It says that it's only rated for 5kg though :confused: It feels like it would handle heavier loads as well though. It is only attached to the back of the passenger handles.

I too have the Yamaha rack. (Probably one of the few in the USA, since they don't sell it directly here.) It holds WAY more than 5kg. Trust me. :)

I have a 46 liter Givi box on mine and it takes a load quite well.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice find! It's also about $100 less than the TS seat, shipped to the US.

It's stiffer, yet more comfortable?

My tailbone is what gets me on long rides...

I can't reach French, so I'm having a bit of difficulty with the description page, and the PDF. If anyone checks this out who can read French, if you happen to see a PDF in English, can you please post?

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice find! It's also about $100 less than the TS seat, shipped to the US.

It's stiffer, yet more comfortable?

My tailbone is what gets me on long rides...

I can't reach French, so I'm having a bit of difficulty with the description page, and the PDF. If anyone checks this out who can read French, if you happen to see a PDF in English, can you please post?

Yes, it is stiffer but more comfortable as the seat is wider and has a well formed seating area. The problem with the original for me was that it would bottom out on the part you are sitting in (shouldn't be a weight issue since I weigh 85kg). As the seat is stiffer, I suppose it might help with a sore tailbone as well(?) It is not nearly as hard as in some RR bikes (R1, CBR 1000RR that I have tried) though.

The PDF has English pages as well, just scroll down :) I ordered the seat from the store mentioned in the first post.

Last edited:

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi JTL
Are you still liking your shad seat
A newer review would be appropriated:thumbup:

Yes, no problems or complaints after 2000km. Wife says that the passenger seat is much nicer than the original too. Comfort on a longer trip will be tested next month as I'm planning a 2 week/6000km trip around Europe.

Maybe one thing comes to mind: I wish it was a bit higher as I have quite long legs, but as it is about the same height than the original, I can't really complain as this is not a big issue. Anyways, with the original seat I was constantly irritated by the feel of it and now I don't think about the seat at all -> I'm happy.

hihill

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey JTL - quick question about the Shad seat - my biggest issue with the stock seat on my '07 FZ6 is it tilts forward and I am constantly sliding forward - its a struggle and very uncomfortable to keep pushing my butt back on the seat all the time. It looks like the Shad seat is a little built up on the nose where the seat meets the tank - does this help with that sliding forward feeling? I am really interested in that seat, and if it seems to help with that part I'd likely look into getting one :D

Thanks!!