Share - wear pattern on my chain pic

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After scraping the bugs off the FZ from our ride yesterday I saw the chains contact pattern is not ideal. (Edit: title should say Contact - not Wear).
I thought I'd had the rear tires alignment proper but according to the contact pattern on the chain that may not be the case.

Because the chain pulls from the top, and the greater contact patch is on the left outer edge, I'm going to say that the wheel is not centered perfect and it's likely turned to the right ever so slightly. Which IMO may be what caused the front tire to scallop or razor the left side as the bikes thrust angle is towards the right.

Any thoughts on this? oh that's about 550miles since last cleaning and lube and it is due right now.

Take a look:
DSC_4255chainpattern.jpg

Last edited:

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
I would just realign your wheel using the old string method and not go by the markings.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hindsight says that thin film of grease and debris on the right side of the rollers is so thin I doubt it could be measured easily and I have both veneer calipers and small micrometers but what we see there is literally a thin film and amounts to little.

But I'll string it and see what I glean as far rear thrust angle in relation to the front tire. I've done it on my autos setting the rear thrust angle and toe which lead to long tire life. A bike should be a piece of cake as its so easy to adjust it. I'll do it tonight and report back. Maybe with a picture if I can. . .

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: HOW TO STRING ALIGN YOUR REAR WHEEL!!

I would just realign your wheel using the old string method and not go by the markings.

Good Call!
The string says its off to the right which is what the chain pattern indicates. Not by much mind you but it is off.
OK folks, here you go:

--------------------------
All - here is a link to the HOW TOO section with full details on how to string align your rear tire and check the basic thrust angle.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/40463-how-string-align-your-rear-wheel.html :thumbup:

All you need is some tape, a string, and a tape measure + your handy dandy tool kit and you too can have a near perfect rear wheel alignment.

Check it out!
--------------------------

HOW TO STRING ALIGN YOUR REAR WHEEL!!
  • You need tape and piece of string twice as long as the bike.
  • Center stand the bike and point the front wheel dead ahead.
  • From the seat and the front of the bike, confirm the bars and head are straight.
  • With a large chunk of tape, find the center of your string and tape the string to the rear tire at about 5-O'clock position as viewed from the right side of the bike. The string will go around the back of the tire and both ends will head to the front of the bike through the center stand.
  • Now pull the string towards the bikes front disc (rotor) avoiding touching the center stand (rotate rear wheel to achieve a nice working height). The goal here is to watch the string as it just "barely" touches the leading edge of the rear tire. Do this by moving the string closer and further from the front disc and just as the string touches the leading edge of the tire, you have a straight line revealing the thrust angle of the rear tire.
  • Notice the distance between the disc and the string.
  • Repeat on the other side.
  • If the rear wheel is properly centered, the strings distance from the discs on both side will be the same.

If not, adjust the rear axle until chain has the proper slack and the string says the rear wheel is pointed straight ahead by having an equal distance from both front discs.

Rout it through like so!
01-DSC_4273.jpg

Avoid touching anything but the rear tire!
02-DSC_4270.jpg

Eagle Eye the string. Just BARELY touching the rear tires edge!
03-DSC_4274.jpg

Determine the distance to the front disc. Measure and compare to other side!
04-DSC_4272.jpg

The other side! These should be the same distance!
05-DSC_4277.jpg

It was hard to get the camera angle the same, but this gives you a general idea of how to string it.

Hey, NASCAR does this for cars that go 200mph. It'll work on you're FZ too!

I hope this helps some of you! Oh and money has it, my front tire won't scallop or razor making the saw blade feel when you run your hand against the direction of rotation. {You say its the road crown, but you all check your bike and tell me the rear thrust angle is perfect before you ever mention road crown causing this}.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Re: HOW TO STRING ALIGN YOUR REAR WHEEL!!

It may be worth mentioning that worn swing arm bushings would also cause slight misalignment....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IF you have a vibration complaint like the seat or the bars vibrate excessively while traveling at ANY SPEED, GET THE CHAIN ALIGNED PROPERLY!!!
My bike has always had a very tiny vibration in both the bars and butt and I figured this was normal for the I4 engine design! Guess what, after doing this, there is virtually NO vibrations in the Butt or Bars! I swear its like free horsepower too as the bike is SOOOOOOO smooth now!!!!

Follow the link above and DO IT!!!!! The how too area has more pictures and details!

Last edited: