• No

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

transistorplanet

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I hope it's ok that I joined the forum to ask this question. I've only ridden cruisers, so I'm new to the world of performance bikes. I thought I'd defer to the experts. I've been thinking about an SV650 or FZ6 as a higher-performance alternative to my sportster, either for commuting in NYC or as a track bike (which would be a new adventure for me).

I found a listing for a 2007 FZ6 with 28k miles. The seller wants $2500, which is a low enough number that I took notice. When I contacted the seller, he said:

"Honestly Ive only owned the bike for a year now and my plan was to fix it up a little and really have a nice bike but i have other projects... The bike runs great but the old owner dropped the bike lightly and tried to make it into a street fighter it needs some minor tlc but it still is nice."

I'm attaching pictures. You'll see right away what concerns me. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and weigh in. Hope I get to join you all in a more regular capacity soon!

No way. There are better deals out there. High miles with damage...For $3500 I got a '07 with 4400 miles and pristine condition. Yes that's a thousand dollars more than what this guy is asking, but look at the difference in what I got. At that high of miles (28K) the major service interval should have been performed. I would ask about that, because I think that runs about $800 or $900. Tires - If they're shot, you're looking at another $300 at least. Lot of factors to consider here. Honestly, if you're not looking to spend more than $2500, then you can probably get a nicer SV650 than FZ6. I love my FZ6, but I looked at the SV650 when I was shopping around. They are very nice bikes, nothing wrong with them. I think you sacrifice a little fit and finish with Suzuki (some, not all), but a good bike overall. My opinion - keep looking, there's more fish in the sea.

I agree skip it, it missing the fairing so it's been crashed.

Between an FZ and an SV I'd take the FZ. It's a much more advanced bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Like the others have said, there are other bikes out there. However, many have bought bikes with damage, fixed them up, and now have a quality ride. Townsendsfjr1300 is one good example I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:
The bike has potential for the person who wants a project. I would look to pay between 1,600 to 1,800 for this bike considering you would have to invest at least $500-1000 to get it into good ridable and cosmetic shape (if naked then headlight kit, if putting back fairing that sh!t is expensive).

Miles are a little high but not a deal breaker. I have 31k on mine and never had a hiccup. Does what I ask it to and never complains. always starts. And I haven't checked the valve clearances yet but you can use this as a bargaining chip as it is suggested this work be done at 26k miles

A little overpriced for what you are getting imho. If the bike had the fairing on it, and no drop damage - that price would be near 'right' (no drop, fairing in one piece - that's a $2700-$2900 bike imho, given my own recent shopping excursion). That bike as is, I'd say is more like a $2000 bike at best - again just my humble opinion from my own recent shopping spree.

That isn't a 'lot' of miles, but that on top of who knows what else due to the drop - I'd be cautious. I'd want to ride it after it's warmed up, and go over it with a detailed eye - or a friends eye who knows bikes better than myself.

Tank alone you looking at around 800 plus paint unless you buying used off eBay Like others have said, better deals out there

No. Actually I think the 650 would make a better track/street bike. The SV has quite a track following and I would suspect there are plenty of options for track set up.
However if you find a good deal on a 6 you will enjoy it. Both are great bikes.
Look more, spring is around the corner and plenty of bikes will show up for sale soon.

It looks like it's been dropped a couple of times at least with damage to both sides. That said and with the parts damaged and\or missing, I'd agree that it's priced too high. The mileage wouldn't be a huge concern to me.

But, for what you note you plan to use it for, no question, go with the SV. It's a good little commuter and an awesome track day tool. There's tons of cheap aftermarket parts, spare wheels, and lots of good advice out there for the SV. A GEN 1 can be picked up very well set-up for what the FZ is listed for.

Good luck and see YOU at the track! :thumbup:

I'd run. If someone "tried to make it a street-fighter" and didn't know what they were doing you could have electrical ghetto rigs and all sorts of problems!

Cheap compared to Aus.

Saw an 08 FZ6 on Saturday - $7500

I WISH I could buy one for only a couple of thousand over here....

But saying that, there is tank damage and no fairing and it's NOT a FZ6N. Lots of bikes have been dropped but you need to get the truth from him about it.

With tank damage, I'd probably steer away from it. You never know what's happened to the frame either.

Cheap compared to Aus.

Saw an 08 FZ6 on Saturday - $7500

I WISH I could buy one for only a couple of thousand over here....

But saying that, there is tank damage and no fairing and it's NOT a FZ6N. Lots of bikes have been dropped but you need to get the truth from him about it.

With tank damage, I'd probably steer away from it. You never know what's happened to the frame either.

I would be more concerned about what type mishaps this bike had suffered. It is paramount to know that you will be safe riding it. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I would pass. He could have decided to make it a street fighter after he bashed the fairings.

Not a big fan of sv650s. I would find a better condition fazer.

Back