Shuddering front brakes, weird handling woes from front end fixed!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, as quite a few of you know, i have a tendency to tinker, and am constantly pulling my bikes apart....

Well just recently, i have been having issues with my street FZ6's front end...first of all my front brakes had developed a shudder under hard braking, and secondly, when going into corners, the bike has been trying to stand up in left handers, and drop in far too quickly on right handers....both which encourage a rather un-nerving feeling that the front is not planted, and like it was about to wash out, at anything more than a moderate lean angle!!!

:eek:

At first i thought the handling issue was just me...having just had a couple of spills (1 on the road, 1 on the track), i thought i may have just lost a little confidence, couple with the fact that my front Pilot Power 2CT, had seen better days!, and that with time, i would get my "mojo" back, so just ignored it really...

At about the same time, i started to feel a shudder in my front brakes, which became quite pronounced when i was braking harder...

Had about 3 people, have a real good look at it, and no-one could seem to find a problem....no warping, pads ok, etc, etc...

So for the last couple of months i have been having weird feelings about riding, as it seemed that i could ride harder 2 up, than i could 1 up...strange! Now i know i am crazy already, but that really screwed with my head!

So on the weekend at the shop, after an afternoon of many beers, and discussions started getting deep and philisophical, i bought up the issue with the "brains trust".....Ozzieboy & Gaz....both suitably in "bike nut" mode...

This is when we discovered that my top triple clamp was sitting 9mm below the top of my right fork leg, and that the top triple clamp on the left side of the bike was sitting 6.5mm below the top of the fork leg....

They were both supposed to be at 10mm below top of fork leg, as to how i have had the front end set to.

So immediately, it becomes apparent why both the brakes have been shuddering, and why the bike has been handling like a dogs breakfast!

Strings go on the bike, both fork clamps get loosened, we notice that front wheel is also not straight.....set about to straighten the wheel & the forks...

3 grown men, all 3 who know a bit about these things.....i am not one of these 3 people....(i went off and smoked cigarettes, and laughed at them), set about mastering the black art off getting it straight, and getting it tightened straight....

took em about 2 hours...but the result is startling....brakes feel awesome again...apart from a little squeaking from where the brake pads are bedding themselves back in again.

And upon initial riding impressions, the bike seems to steer in a neutral manner, and it defintely feels more stable, even at the low speeds i have tested the re-jigged front end....

Oh, and while we were there, we raised the forks back up to level with the top of the top triple clamp for now....just takes a bit of weight off my slightly week left hand....and gives me a phinite starting point to re-adjust it as i like.

Get my new Tyres tomorrow, so if the weathers ok tomorrow arvo, i could be in for a fun ride....as Ozzieboy put....straight bike, new tyres....:rockon:

But the moral of the story is, 2.5mm makes a lot of difference to how a bike works!

Am still wondering whether we failed to do things up tight enough at one point, and the forks moved in the clamps, or whether at one point we actually put the bike back together this way...am thinking that they moved of their own accord, after being tightened.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great and thank you for sharing this with us. I'm going to check mine as soon as I get a chance. Bet you some assemblies from the crate aren't very accurate. Again, Great find!

Cliff

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you fixed it. I had a similar issue with my old bike. After taking the right fork out to change the seal, I just put it back in. I never checked to see how far the other fork was up in the triple clamp. I had a royal pain getting the front axle in, but I eventually got it in. The bike handled like crap! Any time I accelerated hard the front end would wobble!:confused: I took me forever to figure it out, I thought maybe I installed something in the fork wrong. An observant friend noticed that the left fork was a half inch above the top triple clamp, and the right one was flush! Problem solved! Granted I should have tried to solve the issue once I had trouble getting the front axle in, but I just never gave it much thought. Just proves that a second (or third or fourth) pair of eyes can spot the little things that you rationalize to over look!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Jamie! I've mentally noted this for future checks, especially if I am toying with the forks. Measure twice, tighten, measure again! :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolf were you happy with how the bike rode with the 10mm setup?

I was when the bike was handling properly....but it was quite extreme, especially with the front end being set up very stiff for sport riding, and having flat grag bars fitted, and proved a compromise when in other riding situations, but was still tame in terms of an aggresive riding position of a sports bike, with clip-ons, or an FZ6 with clip-ons, like pinky (my other bike)

Thanks Jamie! I've mentally noted this for future checks, especially if I am toying with the forks. Measure twice, tighten, measure again! :D

You know, we must of got them straight about 5 times last night, only for everything to move, as soon as we tightened things up...ended up trying several different orders of bolt tightening, before we got it to tighten straight...it truly is a black art, getting these things truly straight....vernier calipers were a godsend in the end....as we could truly see how close, or far off we were each time we tightened...

i would hazard a guess, that there are a lot of bikes out there that aint "quite right"....this was an enlightenig experience for me.

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They are still only adjusted by eye:(. They are pretty good and way better than they were before, but you need to pop over here at one point and i'll get it so straight you'll need a feeler gauge to pick any difference...lol.

I know...I'm a little retentive:eek:...lol.

Even then, the alignment will be done using the rear wheel for a reference, so there is a chance you will be "crabbing" so I'll have to align the rear to the swingarm first and hope the swingarm is straight...lol.

On second thought, this is getting to be a huge job:eek:...lol...just let us know if it's not riding sweet. A little bit of crabbing you can live with:eek:...LMAO:D

Cheers
Mike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They are still only adjusted by eye:(. They are pretty good and way better than they were before, but you need to pop over here at one point and i'll get it so straight you'll need a feeler gauge to pick any difference...lol.

I know...I'm a little retentive:eek:...lol.

Even then, the alignment will be done using the rear wheel for a reference, so there is a chance you will be "crabbing" so I'll have to align the rear to the swingarm first and hope the swingarm is straight...lol.

On second thought, this is getting to be a huge job:eek:...lol...just let us know if it's not riding sweet. A little bit of crabbing you can live with:eek:...LMAO:D

Cheers
Mike

Mate, now i know what i am feeling, i will be onto in a newyork minute, if it's all a bit "crabby'....and you know i will camp on your doorstep till it's fixed....but i reckon it's pretty good...fingers crossed....have been having evil thoughts of swapping out the Sport Attack tyres for Race attack tyres...when i go for fitting tomorrow....must be sensible....must be...

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate, now i know what i am feeling, i will be onto in a newyork minute, if it's all a bit "crabby'....and you know i will camp on your doorstep till it's fixed....but i reckon it's pretty good...fingers crossed....have been having evil thoughts of swapping out the Sport Attack tyres for Race attack tyres...when i go for fitting tomorrow....must be sensible....must be...

You do have 2 sets of rims don't you?:sinister::D

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, but the other ones have a pretty much new set of Dunlop Qualifier RR's on them.....now there's another option.....Oh Lordy! :spank::rockon:

What's that?...lol...leave the qualifiers on there and try them out. I reckon stick with the Conti's. Those other things seem to need a lot of heat and I had a greasy moment on my track tires in my own street heading up to your joint.

Cheers
Mike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's that?...lol...leave the qualifiers on there and try them out. I reckon stick with the Conti's. Those other things seem to need a lot of heat and I had a greasy moment on my track tires in my own street heading up to your joint.

Cheers
Mike

Wouldnt use the Qualifiers on the road in reality....i am even a bit loath to use them at the track again without tyre warmers.

They would be crap on the street, would have to ride way too hard to keep the heat in them...

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldnt use the Qualifiers on the road in reality....i am even a bit loath to use them at the track again without tyre warmers.

They would be crap on the street, would have to ride way too hard to keep the heat in them...

Although, in the height of summer....hmmm...lol.:thumbup: