Single sided swing ar

ssfz6er

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey im new to this forum and was just curious if theirs anyone who has done a single sided swing arm on an 05 fz6 or if it could even be done by using an r6 kit or something

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey im new to this forum and was just curious if theirs anyone who has done a single sided swing arm on an 05 fz6 or if it could even be done by using an r6 kit or something

Welcome to the forum!

I've never heard it done on an FZ (or any other yamaha).

I suppose a retro fit could be done, but why?

Some serious $, buying another make swingarm, rear wheel, brakes, etc, MUCH machine work, anything can be done.

The '07 thru '09 swing arm is considered an upgrade from the S1 model. You may consider that.

I've never heard of a single failure of any FZ6 swingarm and works fine for its intended use.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
R6 doesn't have a single sided swingarm. Even fitting the R6 swingarm on the FZ6 requires fabrication - not worth the effort.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never heard it done on an FZ (or any other yamaha).
+1 for Yamaha, I never saw a single sided swing-arm either.

I've never heard of a single failure of any FZ6 swingarm and works fine for its intended use.

I saw two failures so far:
1. KTM 9xx cc on the track the other day, the nut got loose and the wheel was about to fall in next couple of turns, luckily he saved himself and the bike and pulled over. CMP, SC held by STT.
2. Motorcycle Part Slams Into Windshield, Nearly Hits Driver on Highway 101 | NBC Bay Area

Until experiencing these two, I love those one-sided swing arm by Ducati. Probably not anymore, I'm just being more scared.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Raja,

It wasn't long ago that post about the sprocket and carrier article was posted on the forum.

There is no way, that came off a motorcycle while it was under way. The wheel would have been attached to it, chain, the bike would have gone down right then and there. Wheels don't un-bolt themselves from carriers. No mention of it.

I worked many traffic crashes in my career and have seen most everything. As posted in the original thread here by FI(as I re-call), that part came off the back of vehicle (already removed from the bike), dropped from a bridge into that car, etc(vandals).

The few failures of the BMW, one sided swingarms, none to my knowledge, entailed the carrier coming off. Loose bearings and slop with the rear wheel while attached to the one sided swingarm was the first symptoms.

Just my 2cts..:thumbup:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
As posted in the original thread here by FI(as I re-call), that part came off the back of vehicle (already removed from the bike), dropped from a bridge into that car, etc(vandals).

Thank You, but still I couldn't figure it out If it dropped from the bridge, how did it go through the windshield and then to the top of the vehicle.
And also, I'm still wondering why the news has no updates or it is incomplete.

Not to hack this thread, but we can talk about this in a separate thread if needed.

But I vaguely remember the KTM guy's bearing is loose or something bad was about to happen and he pulled over and went home for the rest of the day (finishing his track day by 1.30pm).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the Op's question has been answered, so some a lil chat for S&G's..:thumbup:

Drop the "carrier" from a bridge. The car is traveling forward at say 60-70 MPH, the car hits IT, again 60-70 MPH. Same as if throwing the carrier at 60-70MPH at the car while stationary. Its going to cause some serious damage

If the carrier was on a bike(and came off), traveling at the same 60-70MPH as the car, the impact wouldn't be nearly as bad as it was.

If you "buy the story", either the wheel came off the 4 or 5 studs, or the carrier came loose/off the swing arm (with the wheel attached).

It has to be one or the other, the wheel didn't come off first, then the carrier. The bike would have stopped WAY sooner before the carrier disconnected from BOTH the wheel AND swingarm..

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a picture somewhere of a Kawasaki ZX-12 or a 14 with a single sided swing arm, it's the only bike I've seen with one that wasn't standard.

I think of all the mods one can do, this must be the trickiest.

Edit: found it:

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw two failures so far:
1. KTM 9xx cc on the track the other day, the nut got loose and the wheel was about to fall in next couple of turns, luckily he saved himself and the bike and pulled over. CMP, SC held by STT.
2. Motorcycle Part Slams Into Windshield, Nearly Hits Driver on Highway 101 | NBC Bay Area

Until experiencing these two, I love those one-sided swing arm by Ducati. Probably not anymore, I'm just being more scared.

What about that Ducati that lost a rear wheel at Donington a couple of years ago, I can't remember if it was MotoGP or SBK, I must look for the video.

Edit: here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8VGuxCPIyA

Last edited: