Slightly Torqued Frame??

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone!

So I had a minor spill on my bike last week. Drove it home, starts fine, runs fine, shifts fine, engine sounds no different so mechanically it seems unchanged.

A bit of cosmetic damage to the left hand side but repairable.

However upon closer inspection today it looks like the seat part of the motorcycle is off a bit looking from behind. Meaning the sides don't seem to quite line up to the rear wheel if you get my meaning. I'll take a picture and post it to clarify what I'm talking about, but my question is, assuming it is slightly torqued...

Is it repairable?
What should I do?
How much is this gonna run me?

Also after I discovered that it looked "off" I took it on a smooth straight away and took it up to about 55 mph. I didn't notice a huge difference or vibrations but I'm still concerned about the safety issues this may present.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry about this fall, although always better if you're ok than the bike.

This is difficult to comment on without pics, the questions are where was the damage?

It's possible that your tail piece was knocked to 1 side? Which model do you have? The cast aluminium frame or the newer ones? If there is any doubt, take the frame to be checked. They can x ray it to look for cracks.

peace

i might be wrong but i think the frame cannot bent it will break. if you bent something it might be the subframe. a yamaha stealer inspection will answer all our questions. post pictures and let us know!

i might be wrong but i think the frame cannot bent it will break. if you bent something it might be the subframe. a yamaha stealer inspection will answer all our questions. post pictures and let us know!

I agree. Sounds like it could be a bent subframe....

Sounds like a bent sub-frame for sure!

Does it look a bit like this...

If so, it is fixable.....i have done it on 2 FZ6's now....you will need to loosen the bolts that hold the rear sub-frame onto the main frame...just a little bit, and you may find it "pops" back into line...if not, tighten the bolts back up again, and either get someone to straighten it, or do what we did...get a very large round wooden garden umbrella pole, and stick it through the rear subframe, and start twisting it until it is straight again...it can be done, and quite succesfully...

It helps to have a big strong bugger to help...some patience, careful assesment f which way you need to twist....

When done, check the paintwork on the sub frame for any tell tale cracks, that could mean that the sub frame structural integrity has been compromised...and you need to replace it...

But it sounds like yours in minor, and probably resulted from you gripping the bike in the accident, with your legs...as you tensed up, and should be fixable.

What i have described sounds very "Agricultural", but it's works, and is quite common practise with race teams, etc...

Oh yeah, and before you start doing this....remove everything off the sub frame....seat, tail unit, exhaust, the lot! You can use the top of the tank, and handlebars as guides to how straight you are in relation to the front of the bike, as the top of the sub frame has a nice broad horizontal top to use as a "level". You can check straightness from side to side, by using the rear wheel as a centering point.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

If so, it is fixable.....i have done it on 2 FZ6's now....you will need to loosen the bolts that hold the rear sub-frame onto the main frame...just a little bit, and you may find it "pops" back into line...if not, tighten the bolts back up again, and either get someone to straighten it, or do what we did...get a very large round wooden garden umbrella pole, and stick it through the rear subframe, and start twisting it until it is straight again...it can be done, and quite succesfully...

It helps to have a big strong bugger to help...some patience, careful assesment f which way you need to twist....

When done, check the paintwork on the sub frame for any tell tale cracks, that could mean that the sub frame structural integrity has been compromised...and you need to replace it...

But it sounds like yours in minor, and probably resulted from you gripping the bike in the accident, with your legs...as you tensed up, and should be fixable.

What i have described sounds very "Agricultural", but it's works, and is quite common practise with race teams, etc...

Oh yeah, and before you start doing this....remove everything off the sub frame....seat, tail unit, exhaust, the lot! You can use the top of the tank, and handlebars as guides to how straight you are in relation to the front of the bike, as the top of the sub frame has a nice broad horizontal top to use as a "level". You can check straightness from side to side, by using the rear wheel as a centering point.

Hahaha! That's the way the back of my R1 looks! :eek:

If it is indeed the subframe that's tweaked (and I would agree with everyone else that it's what it sounds like), I just checked on eBay and you could get a used subframe (that's straight...lol) for around $100. The only problem I see for you at this point would be that all the ones listed right now are silver and I see you've got a '06, which is black, obviously. But you could either wait for a black one to appear or paint a silver one.

This shouldn't be that big of a repair and shouldn't cost you a lot of money, honestly. But keep us updated. :thumbup:

Just wondering if you had any luck with this. I bought a 2007 FZ about a year ago. I knew it was damaged, but I recently realized the subframe is also bent. I have taken everything off of the back end, and can clearly see that the frame is torqued. I have not found the best way to twist it back.

Anyone else have any tips? How did your fix turn out?

Thanks.

I'm guessing you remove the rear plastics, fender, etc. first? What about the *possibly* bent exhaust pipe (going into muffler)?

I'm guessing you remove the rear plastics, fender, etc. first? What about the *possibly* bent exhaust pipe (going into muffler)?

4 uhm member - thread was started in 05-24-2010, 10:54 PM - I think its too late to offer advice. . . :eek:

Back