Sloppy/stuck upshifts

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently started having trouble when of shifting (3-2-1). It feels like it's stuck in between gears. I have to really stomp down to get it to go into the lower gear. Also when I get to first gear, it doesn't have that hard feeling indicating I've hit first gear. It will be in first gear but the shifter is loose and rubbery.

has anyone experienced something like this? Any quick fixes? I thought it was the oil getting old but the problem still exists after an oil change. Thanks for the help.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently started having trouble when of shifting (3-2-1). It feels like it's stuck in between gears. I have to really stomp down to get it to go into the lower gear. Also when I get to first gear, it doesn't have that hard feeling indicating I've hit first gear. It will be in first gear but the shifter is loose and rubbery.

has anyone experienced something like this? Any quick fixes? I thought it was the oil getting old but the problem still exists after an oil change. Thanks for the help.

You're not the first to experince this. My bike was doing that when I first got it. The only way I found to prevent it from getting stuck (after stalling at a couple lights thinking I was in first but stuck in second). I would cycle down shift and engage the clutch each time. Basically when I'd hit 40, I'd engage 4th, when I'd hit 30 then I'd engage 3rd, when I'd hit 20 I'd engage 2nd, and when I was at less than 10 miles per hour I'd preload the shifter until it slipped into 1st gear on it's own, if I'd press down then it'd get stuck but just applying pressure like a preload seemed to help it slide in.

Of course check your shifter linkage and make any necessary adjustments, but I just think it's a weak point about the Fz6. Buy an Fz1 it doesn't have that problem and the shifting is soooo much smoother.

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like mine does that if I either don't let the shift lever come all the way up before trying to change down another gear OR I try to downshift from 4th to first by stomp-stomp-stomp in rapid succession. I've tried to get into the habit of using engine braking to slow the bike and down shifting and releasing the clutch one gear at a time until 15 mph or so before dropping into 1st. I too go 40 in 4th, 30 in 3rd, etc. both up and down (well, mostly down anyway).

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Loose and rubbery feel happens to most bikes with linkages. If you haven't been cleaning and greasing the pivot points regularly then they get worn and sloppy and sometime will even bind a little.

Of course if you don't keep you clutch adjusted it can cause bad shifts too.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a problem with the shift linkage - turned out it was the bushing the shift lever pivots on - took it off cleaned and re-greased and it was like new. Simple fix if that is your problem. Check is to put the bike on the center stand and move the shift leaver with your hand, if it is slow moving back into place then it is the bushing needing lubricating.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar issue and the fix is easy. Take out the pivot bolt(it's a bitch because of the lock-tight from the factory) and grease it. Mine was dry as a bone.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I sprayed teflon silicon spray on all the linkage points and the problem is fixed! Didn't have to take anything apart.