Spark plug socket

Jondon51

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, does anyone know how to remove the spark plugs on a fz6 fazer s2 model . Can't find the original socket remover any ware. Can get a tool set from fowler so in about two months. Please reply thanks

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, does anyone know how to remove the spark plugs on a fz6 fazer s2 model . Can't find the original socket remover any ware. Can get a tool set from fowler so in about two months. Please reply thanks
No special tool needed. I use a regular 5/8 spark plug socket....

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, can you tell me what the length is on the socket
I don't have mine here, but is a normal size, like the others at the auto parts store. I use a medium and a short extension to loosen each plug. I have a modest collection of extensions for my ratchets. Rather have extensions than an odd sized sockets, because the extensions will always come in handy.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A spark plug socket is different common deep socket in that it will have a rubber/neoprene insert that captures the spark plug. This makes retrieval and reinsertion not only easier, but possible. You will need an assortment of socket extensions (and perhaps a u-joint) to extend the reach of the spark plug socket.

Jondon51

Reaction score
Visit site
A spark plug socket is different common deep socket in that it will have a rubber/neoprene insert that captures the spark plug. This makes retrieval and reinsertion not only easier, but possible. You will need an assortment of socket extensions (and perhaps a u-joint) to extend the reach of the spark plug socket.
Hi, thanks for the reply . I don't want to put a socket in and not get it back. Could do with proper sizes so I don't have a dozen sockets doing nothing , thanks John

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So that's the entire point of a spark plug socket - to assist with extraction and insertion. The rubber insert grabs the insulator of the plug, and keeps it with the socket as you remove the plug from the head. To reinstall a plug, you insert the plug into the socket so it just makes contact with the rubber insert, and then insert socket with the loaded plug down into the cylinder head. This allows you to hand-thread the the spark plug, ensuring that it isn't cross threaded. Once you confirm that the plug is able to be hand threaded, you remove the insert from the socket and finish torquing the spark plug. It;s not a big investment - maybe $5-$10.

Alternatively you can use a piece of hose to remove and reinsert the plug, but it is difficult to get the hose inserted down-hole, and you run the risk of cross-threading when reinserting. Don't buy that beer tonight, and use the money to buy the proper tool for the job - you can thank us later.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply . I don't want to put a socket in and not get it back. Could do with proper sizes so I don't have a dozen sockets doing nothing , thanks John

And if you want to be prepared for anything, also buy a decent magnet / extractor. With that and extensions you are ready for anything.

For example, when removing the plug... after unscrewing the plug if the extension comes off and you cannot reinsert it, put the magnet down the hole and up comes the plug and socket. When inserting the plug, if you cannot get the socket to come off the plug and the extension pulls out, simply reinsert the extension, unscrew the plug, remove it as previously stated, and try installing again without putting the plug to far into the rubber of the socket.

Having done this numerous times myself, I can honestly tell you that once you get all the bodywork out of the way, it takes more time to read the above paragraph than it does to pull the 4 plugs. Don't over think it and don't worry.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always used a regular socket and a magnetic pickup tool or tweezers (depending on engine) for removing and lowering the plugs.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A tip for keeping a spark plug inserted in a regular (no retention foam) deep socket:

Use one or two small pieces of masking tape taped into and just outside of the socket 6 point(must be clean so the tape sticks good to the socket). The tape tightens up the clearance but is still soft enough to flex/hold the plug but not stick to the plug.

You can check tightness if need be(plug inside the socket) with a spare spark plug if in doubt, works great!

This works great for different sized plugs/sockets as well if your turning wrenches on other machines.
IE, no additional/specialized sockets. Also works great for regular bolts/nuts in hard to reach places.