starter Button

Yeah,I had a '76 Z1000 and a '79 RD .Mechanically easy.........electrical nightmare !

Yes it's the opposite these days, used to be able to fix just abnout any minor mechanical problem enough to get home, on the old bikes...these days...you get an error code, and have to ring the bike shop to come pick the bike up!

:spank:

Too true,that RD I had we actually rebuilt the motor on the side of the road outside mums place and the only thing that had to be done in a shop was the re-bore !

Only took an hour to put it back together.........gotta love the old 2strokers :thumbup:

Too true,that RD I had we actually rebuilt the motor on the side of the road outside mums place and the only thing that had to be done in a shop was the re-bore !

Only took an hour to put it back together.........gotta love the old 2strokers :thumbup:

Yes no fancy electronics, sensors, etc, getting in the way of a bit of good ol outback machanics....christ, we used to cut out our own gaskets...bit leaky, but they did the job!

;)

man, just encountered that problem tonight. Starter button feels very stiff with no "click." Thanks for the good advice guys. I'll check up on that next chance I get. I may just take it apart first before using the WD-40.

Without having done any research yet... anyone know how much that starter button would cost by itself? =)

That's what happened to me mate,WD40 fixed it ,no probs :thumbup:

EDIT:I doubt if you could get the starter button by itself,you would have to buy the whole switch block I reckon.

ahh.. perhaps I'll try the WD40 first. Thanks for the quick reply and the heads up. Hopefully it'll be as easy as that for the starter button.

It almost feels like something broke in there.. it looks like it's halfway already pushed in and very stiff. Was that the same for you?

Had my bike in for an oil change and I mentioned I'm smelling an electrical burn. Turns out my starter button was in permanent on position and I didn't notice. They just simply 'lubed' it and it works great now. Try either the WD-40 as suggested or even jigaloo (you wouldn't need much). I know they didn't use WD-40 because there is still remnants there. I'm assuming what they used is more oil based. Hope that helps!!;)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys... the WD-40 worked.

Given the stiffness of the starter button and how it seemed like the plastic was going to break, it almost felt like a clip or spring might have broken inside. Miraculously, and unbelievably, after a few hours, the start button went back to normal... completely.

Thanks again for all the help. :D

Back