Steering stem corrosion

PWABO

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if someone can help me with one a query please?

I've managed to change the fork seals, oil & steering bearings on my bike. Not something I look forward to doing again, but ho-hum.

Before I re-assemble, I've got some corrosion on the inner surfaces of the 'hoops' (don't know what they're actually called) of the steering stem. I've tried buffing & rubbing with Autosol & it's managed to get a fair amount off, but it now seems to be doing very little.

Is there anything else I can try to get rid of all the rust in there? I thought about using abrasives in my Proxxon Micromot, but I really don't want to take the 'hoops' out of round. Should I persevere with the polish & possibly a scourer pad & a sh!t ton of elbow grease?

Also, is there anything I can do/treat with to prevent it from rusting again? It had made a fair mess of my stanchions as well.

Thanks in advance & apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I did have a quick look but couldn't find anything

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if someone can help me with one a query please?

I've managed to change the fork seals, oil & steering bearings on my bike. Not something I look forward to doing again, but ho-hum.

Before I re-assemble, I've got some corrosion on the inner surfaces of the 'hoops' (don't know what they're actually called) of the steering stem. I've tried buffing & rubbing with Autosol & it's managed to get a fair amount off, but it now seems to be doing very little.

Is there anything else I can try to get rid of all the rust in there? I thought about using abrasives in my Proxxon Micromot, but I really don't want to take the 'hoops' out of round. Should I persevere with the polish & possibly a scourer pad & a sh!t ton of elbow grease?

Also, is there anything I can do/treat with to prevent it from rusting again? It had made a fair mess of my stanchions as well.

Thanks in advance & apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I did have a quick look but couldn't find anything

Its the "triple clamp".

Its not serious at all, but some 1000 grit sand paper (even some courser) or steel wool will remove it without causing any damage to the triple clamp.

A light coat of Rustoleum black paint should help however you may be scraping a good part of it off as you re-assemble.

Just make sure the paint is fully cured before you re-assemble.

A little bit of spray wax on the fork tube will help protect the fork as well...