Stiff clutch

tanphanthanh94

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my 04 fz6 a few weeks ago and the clutch lever is super stiff on it. I haven't had this issue with any of my other bikes so never needed to address it. Does anyone else have experience with this problem or have any advice on how to soften the pull on my clutch? Thanks.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some time ago (haven't trained grip in a while) I could close a 250lbs gripper and a dirty hydraulic clutch STILL got me after 30 minutes of city riding. However, more strength never hurts.

On the FZ6, apart from the aforementioned cable lubing - cable which could already be beyond lubing and in need of replacement- you can also install the slave arm from a FZ/MT 07.
Part #: 1WS-16340-00 - quite cheap new.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some time ago (haven't trained grip in a while) I could close a 250lbs gripper and a dirty hydraulic clutch STILL got me after 30 minutes of city riding. However, more strength never hurts.

On the FZ6, apart from the aforementioned cable lubing - cable which could already be beyond lubing and in need of replacement- you can also install the slave arm from a FZ/MT 07.
Part #: 1WS-16340-00 - quite cheap new.

Recommended, I have this - might not address your issue, but still a worthy addition.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And now a PSA...WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a cleaner. Use cable lube or gear oil.

Exactly, WD40 is great for initially lubing but it gums up after and you'll have problems. Always follow with proper lube.
WD stands for Water Displacement.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted above, lube cable or if in doubt, ANY SLIGHT BINDING with both ends disconnected-replace the cable. It shouldn't be any harder than your previous bikes-period..

You can "flush" old built up lube/crap from inside the cable, but don't use WD40 (for reasons posted above). Either cable specific lube or 30wt engine oil works well..

My original cable, ALWAYS lubed at about 25,000 miles, fraying was inside the sheath and not visible.

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I found when my son picked his bike up...cable was fine but the lever pivot was almost siezed. Bone dry, not an ounce of lube in it. I had to hammer the sleeve out of the lever.