Stolen tools

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
So last night I went over to my girlfriend's apt. to meet her sister and have dinner with her other siblings. Wasn't supposed to spend the night so I left my battery tender and tools in a bag on my bike. My battery has been dying recently and haven't had a chance to replace it, so it was precautionary. Turns out her sister is a lush and likes to be accompanied in her slow spiral into oblivion, so I found my wine glass filled on many more occasions than originally anticipated. Soooo, i spent the night.

I forgot about the bag because 1. I was drunk and 2. It's a neighborhood of skinny jewish kids. Wasn't worried about it.

Well, now I have a net cut to shreds on the back of my bike, and a bag full of stuff stolen. Wonderful.

Anyone know where I can buy the stock tools for a 2006 FZ6 at a reasonable price? I'm kind of scared to look at how much they go for, seeing as how they're probably custom made by yamaha and 8x more expensive than they should be...

I hate thieves so much. Had to take a bus home and walk 2 miles because the girlfriend had left town before I went outside and discovered my stuff gone and that my battery was, as expected, dead. So frustrating.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that sucks man.. Not to be Captain Hindsight, but why not just bring your bag in the house? Too lazy to take the bungee net off? Even if you just stayed for the dinner, your stuff could have been gone when you left. Could you see your bike from the dinner table? I just think its common sense to not leave stuff out of sight, not trying to offend anyone.

Last edited:

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
If I didn't ride my bike literally everywhere I went, it's my only vehicle, taking my bag on and off everywhere I went would be a lot less of a pain in the ass. If it's day time or early in the night the chances of someone stealing your stuff is EXTREMELY low if you're in a decent neighborhood... I know because I've been doing it for years. It's when you leave your bike over night that you have to worry... as I proved last night. :-\

If you think about it in terms of the side of the thief, it makes sense. Can pretty much guarantee whoever stole my stuff was just a dude walking down the street who decided to be an *******. Wasn't a professional, just a guy who saw an amoral opportunity and wasn't against taking it. At 3 am it's very low risk, there's like no chance anyone is going to see you. At 10 pm, there are people still out who might know the guy who owns the bike, it's parked in front of an apartment so there's not a horrible chance that the person who owns the bike could walk out (like, say, if dinner was over...). It's a very high risk scenario. At that point it's a very risky opportunity, much more akin to breaking somebody's window and stealing their stereo in risk. Random dumbasses don't do stuff like that.

And I've never had anything on my bike touched during the day or early in the night. Had stuff stolen off my bike twice late at night now. Learned my lesson the first time... this time I just screwed up. Pretty irritated with myself over it, but I'd still like to curb stomp the guy who took the stuff.

Last edited:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, man. I'd imagine you can put together a workable replacement tool kit with not too much $$ considering Yamaha's tool kits are made of something like stamped metal.

I'd focus more on seeing what is included in said kit, and just trying to find some small stuff that you can put into a small roll of some kind, to fit back under the seat. Probably the only special tool you might need is that spanner wrench for adjusting the rear shock preload.

The Battery Tender Jr. should be about $40 at Pep Boys or whatever chain you have in D.C.

Sorry to hear about the theft, that does suck. Kids of all persuasions can rip you off ... or other people drifting through the 'hood looking for stuff to steal. A**holes.

McLovin - "Captain Hindsight" - love it

P.S. - "Turns out her sister is a lush and likes to be accompanied in her slow spiral into oblivion" - CLASSIC!

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, man. I'd imagine you can put together a workable replacement tool kit with not too much $$ considering Yamaha's tool kits are made of something like stamped metal.

I'd focus more on seeing what is included in said kit, and just trying to find some small stuff that you can put into a small roll of some kind, to fit back under the seat. Probably the only special tool you might need is that spanner wrench for adjusting the rear shock preload.

The Battery Tender Jr. should be about $40 at Pep Boys or whatever chain you have in D.C.

Sorry to hear about the theft, that does suck. Kids of all persuasions can rip you off ... or other people drifting through the 'hood looking for stuff to steal. A**holes.

McLovin - "Captain Hindsight" - love it

P.S. - "Turns out her sister is a lush and likes to be accompanied in her slow spiral into oblivion" - CLASSIC!

Yeah, that was the tool that kept popping into my head when I was swearing profusely. You're probably right, not too much stuff in there that's incredibly difficult to replace. I did like that weird little socket wrench though, meant I didn't have to carry around an actual socket wrench to get at the battery or various other things. I probably will just make my own kit though, might even come up with something a bit more comprehensive. Good advice, I just wasn't thinking incredibly straight because I've been so ticked off about it. Already needed to buy a new battery, not thrilled about tagging this stuff on too. O well. Such is life.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This Captain Hindsight must know Capt. Obvious!:spank:
Joe:thumbup: I think Craftsman has some small, multi-tool sets. That does suck though, I hate thieves!

Last edited:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that man. People suck, people who steal suck... Sad to say but you have to treat all people in life like you are riding your bike, they either don't care or know you are there and will try and kill you given the chance.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe, if you're patient, you can buy back the very same took kit that the thief stole and soon lists it on Craig's list or Ebay!

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
Best tool kit going....

adjustable wrench, reversible screwdriver, 2 allen wrenches.

These are easily stored and make excellent projectiles as well!!!

Whatcha gonna do, people in general can be real douchebags.

Lesson learned?

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
::Freebie Alert::

Oddly enough, I actually have an extra FZ6 toolkit laying around. When I wrecked two years ago, I grabbed everything off the bike I could before the insurance took her away, and I just came across the tool kit this morning. PM me your address. If you cover the shipping costs to where ever you are, you can have it.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

Oddly enough, I actually have an extra FZ6 toolkit laying around. When I wrecked two years ago, I grabbed everything off the bike I could before the insurance took her away, and I just came across the tool kit this morning. PM me your address. If you cover the shipping costs to where ever you are, you can have it.
awww....what a nice guy.:thumbup:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks, I hate thieves so much. Maybe it's time for a Scorpio alarm with the proximity sensor? Or at least a riding backpack, for your stuff. No extra work of removing and putting back a bag of some kind, and nothing for someone to walk away with. I'm not picking on you or anything, just throwing some ideas out there.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

See.....Your always such a good brother! And you call me a mensch!
Lisa and I wish you a Happy New Year brother Rob!

Be safe out there!