Suggest-a-Mod

Coskie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All. I'm new not only to the FZ6 forums but to the FZ6 itself. In fact, I'm so new that I haven't picked up my bike yet! Well, here's where I tell you what I'm getting.

I'll be getting a 2006 FZ6 with a Scorpion Exhaust, a Fender Eliminator, and a K&N air filter. What else do you all recommend? Like I said, I'm new to this, so suggest away!

I already plan on doing the headlight mod so it doesn't look like the FZ6 is winking at me.

Thanks,
Coskie

W

wrightme43

stainless brake lines, NEW NEW NEW fluid and upgrade pads.

Its really nice.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd suggest NOT modding a thing until you've ridden for awhile, and noticed things you'd like to change.
That's kinda what I did, and although I now have about 14 mods done, they're all things that improved the bike, for me.
If nothing else, you'll save $$ that way. ;)

Coskie

Reaction score
Visit site
I do like the idea of new fluids!

Brock, thanks for the info! When I start riding it, should I do anything off the bat (like adjust the preload on the shocks.. I'm a bigger guy)?

What kind of pads do you suggest wrightme?

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon: BOTCH, that is one of the best, honest and wisest answers a person can give!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

Coskie

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I was thinking about frame sliders. They keep the bike from getting scratched if it's dropped, right? (I'm new, please be gentle)

Which sliders do you recommend?

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I was thinking about frame sliders. They keep the bike from getting scratched if it's dropped, right? (I'm new, please be gentle)

Which sliders do you recommend?

i would recommend motovation sliders,,,they are good quality sliders with proper bolts...

Red FZ6 Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: If your FZ6 already has a K&N air filter and after market exhaust I would think you should invest in a power commander. Everyone please correct me if I wrong but could this motor be running lean due to the K&N and after market exhaust flowing more air than the stock parts. You may want to ask the original owner if he had the ECU fuel mapping changed to allow more fuel for the increase air. Best of luck with your new bike.:thumbup: Ken

W

wrightme43

:welcome: If your FZ6 already has a K&N air filter and after market exhaust I would think you should invest in a power commander. Everyone please correct me if I wrong but could this motor be running lean due to the K&N and after market exhaust flowing more air than the stock parts. You may want to ask the original owner if he had the ECU fuel mapping changed to allow more fuel for the increase air. Best of luck with your new bike.:thumbup: Ken

See Hellgate post about his custom dyno tune. We are rich everywhere.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site

Brock, thanks for the info! When I start riding it, should I do anything off the bat (like adjust the preload on the shocks.. I'm a bigger guy)?

Welcome to the club! I noticed you mentioned adjusting the preload for you being a heavier guy. I'm a heavier guy too (230 lbs) and also own an '06, but in order to have the ability to adjust anything on the front suspension, you'll have to do the R6 fork mod (or change the internals on the stock forks). I completed the R6 mod over the winter and it's made a HUGE difference in how the bike handles. It corners now like it's on rails, and I'm still tinkering with the forks to get them dialed in to my weight. I've learned it's not an easy thing to do, but it's fun trying.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd suggest NOT modding a thing until you've ridden for awhile, and noticed things you'd like to change.
That's kinda what I did, and although I now have about 14 mods done, they're all things that improved the bike, for me.
If nothing else, you'll save $$ that way. ;)

This speak of years of wisdom! :thumbup: Best reply of the month!

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: If you would like to go riding I live in southern IN close to Evansville let me know. :Sport: Ohh yeah sliders most definitely!!!:cheer:

Coskie

Reaction score
Visit site
Ken: Thanks for the warm welcome! I appreciate it. The previous owner bought the bike new at a dealership. He paid for the two installations there. He said they tuned it up with the new pipes and filter, but I don't think they dyno'd it. Do you think that's enough?

CCHouse: I'm about your size. I'm 235-240 given the day. So you say in order to make a big performance difference, I would need to replace the front forks with R6 forks? This may be something for me to do later down the line but not right now. I just want to ride it to get used to it for now.

So, everyone's suggesting frame sliders, but I don't know what to look for!! Can someone link me to something that would work?

Jeff, sure! I'll go riding with you. I'm in Indy right now, but once school starts again I'll be in Terre Haute. I've got a friend with an R6.. maybe we'll let him come ; )

Thanks everyone! You all Rock!

Cory

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to consider a security alarm. I'm with everybody else on this one: Frame sliders. Most drops probably occur during first few days/weeks/months and sliders will likely minimize damage. There are lots of theads on frame sliders. You'll see what I mean if you go to the FZ6-Forum search. Stay away from the ebay "FZ6" brand frame sliders that go for around $20 (they don't have metal inserts).

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Ah, preload the shocks, yes and I'd suggest you really think about new fork springs and 15wt fork oil if you are 160 to 165 lbs and/or more. (Yes I'm sure I'll be banded one day for bringing this up all the time).

As others haves said ride it for a bit and see what YOU want to changed. The cool thing is there are a zillion mods you can do for the FZ.

If you look through the Mod and Technical sections you find lots of ideas.