Suggestions for a touring setup?

Skrapiron

Mr. Know-It-All
Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering what suggestions you guys might have to make the FZ6 into a competent light tourer? I was looking at an FJR, but it's too darned big for riding around town.

I like the ergonomics, but as always things can be improved. What I am looking for is:
Touring wind screen? Which is best, Puig or the OEM accesory?
Handlebar risers? Does anyone make them with a slight pull back?
Touring saddle? The stock seat is not bad, but I put 300-500 miles in the saddle in a single day. Saddle comfort is paramount.
Luggage options? I ordered a GIVI rack and a 45l top case. What about side cases?
Tires? Since I'm not likely to be scraping my pegs anytime soon, I am looking for longer tire life instead of insane grip. Has anyone tried the Metzler touring tires?
GPS/Cell Phone/12 volt accessories.. How much wattage does the charging system produce? What can I safely run without overloading the system?

I am probably in the minority here, but I'm more interested in MPG's and long distance comfort than I am acceleration and top end....

Thanks!!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
I was wondering what suggestions you guys might have to make the FZ6 into a competent light tourer? I was looking at an FJR, but it's too darned big for riding around town.
tell me about it. i really like the looks and idea of the fjr but it's a little heavier than i want for my daily commuter.

Touring wind screen? Which is best, Puig or the OEM accesory?
no one will be able to tell you what the best one is. i have an '06 and just put the yamaha touring shield on. so far i like it. but i'm 5'7" with a long torso my main goal is to keep winter air off my neck. i think for summer time i'd really like to cut my stock screen down.

Handlebar risers? Does anyone make them with a slight pull back?
Luggage options? I ordered a GIVI rack and a 45l top case. What about side cases?
risers TwistedThrottle.com : Handlebar riser barbacks & top clamps (BMW, Ducati, Gas-Gas, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM LC4, MZ, Suzuki, Triumph, Yamaha) - pair, 1" rise & 1" pullback - LEH.00.039.152
luggage - there are a few options on twisted throttle. depends on if you want hard or soft luggage. i have a givi top case, but went with soft side bags because of money and the rareness of me actually using side bags.

Touring saddle? The stock seat is not bad, but I put 300-500 miles in the saddle in a single day. Saddle comfort is paramount.
a few options here... corbin, top saddlery (what i have and i'm very pleased), as well as a few other options you can find by searching the forum.

Tires? Since I'm not likely to be scraping my pegs anytime soon, I am looking for longer tire life instead of insane grip. Has anyone tried the Metzler touring tires?
GPS/Cell Phone/12 volt accessories.. How much wattage does the charging system produce? What can I safely run without overloading the system?
i can't help you with either of these two but they have been discussed quite a bit on the forum. i do know that one way to free up some wattage is to convert you headlights to HID's with projectors. again, you can search and find out info on this.

I am probably in the minority here, but I'm more interested in MPG's and long distance comfort than I am acceleration and top end....
actually, not that small of a minority. this group here seems to be a pretty good mix of guys liking the sport of the fz6 and those liking the touring/commuting side of the fz6. i lean to the latter myself.

you're welcome. :D

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
...Touring saddle? The stock seat is not bad, but I put 300-500 miles in the saddle in a single day. Saddle comfort is paramount.

Thanks!!

+1 on the Top Saddlery (or whatever it's called).

Definitely look for touring tires. I have the Roadsmarts (great in rain and reasonable grip in dry; they seem to be ok in cold too but I haven't pushed them (and may not)).

From what I've read on this forum, we have about 100W to spare. I ran my 90W heated jacket and the stator could barely keep up with the extra draw and if I used the high beam, it could not keep up.

I got a SAE cable cig. lighter adapter so I can plug in things like cell phone, GPS, etc.

For a tourer, get a GPS. I have a Tomtom One 3rd (simple and cheap) on a Ram Mount on the handlebars.

For longer rides, I use in helmet speakers and an iPod shuffle (small and you don't need to look at it to change the song or the volume).

Dennis