Super Ténéré available for viewing Jan 13-15

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I just received an email from our Yamaha rep that we are going to have the new Super Ténéré at Surdyke Motorsports this coming week. We are scheduled to have the bike available for you to touch, smell, taste?, sit on and make motorcycle noises while we blow in your face....... you get the idea.... but unfortunately no test rides as this is a traveling display bike.

We are scheduled to have the bike January 13-15.

If you have any questions, call or email me.

Dirk
1-800-748-RIDE
[email protected]

12adv_sptn1200_blu_b1_dis_ebe120f6.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you Americans have to wait so long to get this bike....it's been available in Oz for quite some time. Reviews have been favourable, in comparison to it's main opposition, the BIG 1200 BMW GS.

:thumbup:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
All the reviews I have been seeing about it have been favorable. Motorcyclist Magazine is going to be doing a comparo between it and the Multistrada I think. Something I don't understand in this class of bike is why some of them don't have anything below the headlight. Every time I see one they look strange like they are missing something there. The new Tiger 800 is the same way; if you move up to the XC you get a fender. Is there a reason for the lack of anything there or is it just a styling cue?

This whole area:
yamahaxtz120010.jpg

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it has something to do with front suspension travel. I remember seeing a Dakar rally bike when I was younger that looked the same way.
Joe:thumbup:

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Why do you Americans have to wait so long to get this bike....it's been available in Oz for quite some time. Reviews have been favourable, in comparison to it's main opposition, the BIG 1200 BMW GS.

Lack of American interest, really. Adventure bikes are a very small percentage of overall bike sales in the US.

Yes, suspension travel is the reason for the gap.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lack of American interest, really. Adventure bikes are a very small percentage of overall bike sales in the US.

Cheers for that....can be a bit the same in Oz, most dont wasnt such a bike...pity, cause i reckon they would be great for about 90% of most people's needs...

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw one of these in the flesh a month or so ago and I was surprised at how BIG it is. The pictures don't really do it justice.

Regarding the adventure bike market, sometimes it seems as if every second bike you see is a BMW R1200GS, it is wildly popular here.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw one of these in the flesh a month or so ago and I was surprised at how BIG it is. The pictures don't really do it justice.

Regarding the adventure bike market, sometimes it seems as if every second bike you see is a BMW R1200GS, it is wildly popular here.

The numbers's of R1200GS's sold is something ridiculous...it's in the high 100's of thousands worldwide...

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
The GS is gaining in popularity around here. You are right, wolfman, if I didn't have a serious need for speed (or even had enough money to afford one) I would be on an adv bike right now.

I hope I am not the only one who drools over the Google street view photos of the Demper highway in the Yukon and Northwest Territories.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw both the Tenere and Super Tenere at the Vic Park Yamaha dealership today - the Tenere is a lot higher than the Super. No way I could ride it (the Tenere) - I'm 5'7". Mike is 5'10" - he threw a leg and it was pretty high for him. The Super looked great though. I really liked it.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site

I chalk it up more to lack of affordable models vs. lack of interest, most ADV bikes are pricey as BMW is really the only brand that is commonly available. So, I am gald to see Yamaha entering the segment. However, I wish Yamaha would offer the smaller tenere as well for a lower price point and a more accessible bike size (I like the super but don't want/need such a big bike).

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Would you do this to a 600 lbs bike?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jihcX6xz4HM]YouTube - AltRider Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z: off road riding and accessories[/ame]

:eek::eek::eek:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Question:

Why does the bike cost $2,600 more in Canada even though our currency is pretty much on par?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, but it highlights where the weight would be advantageous. I wouldn't treat a +600lb machine like a smaller one. The smaller one would be more nimble. But at the end of the day everyone would arrive at the same destinations. But the long haul stuff in between would be a lot nicer on the 1200.

Still, I think I would probably buy the one you did. Best of all worlds really.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
No, but it highlights where the weight would be advantageous. I wouldn't treat a +600lb machine like a smaller one. The smaller one would be more nimble. But at the end of the day everyone would arrive at the same destinations. But the long haul stuff in between would be a lot nicer on the 1200.

Still, I think I would probably buy the one you did. Best of all worlds really.

Yeah, the f800gs is nice on the trails. But for true off-road it's still very heavy.
You would need a 200 lbs bike.