Super Ténéré available for viewing Jan 13-15

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the f800gs is nice on the trails. But for true off-road it's still very heavy.
You would need a 200 lbs bike.

There are problems with that statement. Everywhere since everyone says to do REAL off-roading you need a 200lb nimble dirt bike.

Really?

Well what’s the definition of REAL off-roading? Is it getting airborne and flailing through rutts in the road and up the side of hills after a torrential downpour at speed? Or is it just getting from point A to point B through nasty off-road stuff?

If it is the former, then yes only a light 200lb machine will suffice. If it is the latter, then the 1200cc behemoths might just be too annoying to get the job done, but a 650 or 800cc machine is the perfect tool for the job.

And….

If you take into account the fact that this “REAL” off roading takes place at any random place on your journey from Miami to Fairbanks, or Mazatlan to Rio de Janeiro, then will a 200lb machine even MAKE it there? It will be at red line for weeks on end screaming until the engine dies.

So, the 650 or 800cc machines become the ONLY tools for the job. Especially when you add the amount of kit you need to carry. Nobody running the Dakar rally needs to haul a tent and food and other crap.

And I have yet to find a road an 800cc motorcycle can not physically make it through with patience and tactics.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
There are problems with that statement. Everywhere since everyone says to do REAL off-roading you need a 200lb nimble dirt bike.

Really?

Well what’s the definition of REAL off-roading? Is it getting airborne and flailing through rutts in the road and up the side of hills after a torrential downpour at speed? Or is it just getting from point A to point B through nasty off-road stuff?

If it is the former, then yes only a light 200lb machine will suffice. If it is the latter, then the 1200cc behemoths might just be too annoying to get the job done, but a 650 or 800cc machine is the perfect tool for the job.

And….

If you take into account the fact that this “REAL” off roading takes place at any random place on your journey from Miami to Fairbanks, or Mazatlan to Rio de Janeiro, then will a 200lb machine even MAKE it there? It will be at red line for weeks on end screaming until the engine dies.

So, the 650 or 800cc machines become the ONLY tools for the job. Especially when you add the amount of kit you need to carry. Nobody running the Dakar rally needs to haul a tent and food and other crap.

And I have yet to find a road an 800cc motorcycle can not physically make it through with patience and tactics.

i pretty much agree with everything you just said.
you seem to be agreeing with me as well.
:confused:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i pretty much agree with everything you just said.
you seem to be agreeing with me as well.
:confused:

*walks across the crowded room*

*hug*

edit: I just read a lot of stuff about people completely discounting those 650/800cc machines as "real" dirt machines. They aren't meant for motocross racing. They are the only tool on the market capable of doing what they do. And that is go anywhere, from anywhere, through anything. The 200cc dirt machines cannot do that. So when people say, bullocks to your 800cc dirtbikes, they are useless too fat to be good at dirt and too small to be true tourer.....I shake my head at them because no other machines on the market can do what they can do. And getting through ANY road no matter how savaged by rain or whatever means they can do "true" off roading.

I can get it for the 1200cc machines because picking them up is too tough, but the 650/800 is spot on.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was home for Christmas I went to Pro Italia in CA, they had the Multi-Strada.....Nice bike and it is A LOT bigger then I had expected. I drooled from a distance then left....feeling sick.
Joe:thumbup: