SuperDuke 990

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I know about how awesome (although illegal) KTM's commercials are, but I was wondering if anyone had some real world experience with their bikes? Long and short of it, is I've been pinching pennies and finally have a few to rub together. Any reviews positive or negative would be great! (Kinda hard to convince someone to let you test ride a bike in December in WI...)
black superduke is really pulling on me ;) and is there an aporeciable diff between the duke and dukeR ?
thanks

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
What makes KTM commercials illegal? I've never seen one, so I have no idea what I'm missing.

The commercials basically show a Superduke being thrashed through traffic much like the scene from The Matrix with the Duc 996.

Smitty,

The KTM Superduke 990 is definately my dream bike--minimalist body/frame, strong motor, perfect suspension, and awesome looks...I've never ridden one, but plenty of qualified moto experts have.

Mitch Boehm, the former editor at Motorcyclist magazine picked this bike one of his all-time favorites. Motorcyclist named it bike of the year in 2007.

The "R" model has a long list of race-tested components such as a longer shock absorber, a steering damper, and a bunch of carbon fiber. The standard model is more than enough bike for anyone who is not a professional racer. The "R" model is a much more frivilous version of an already awesome bike.

By the way, I'm surprised that if a $14,000 bike is something you've been saving up for, that you haven't done the research into it. Do a search, read some reviews (from more qualified experts than me) and get a bike that fits what you are going to use it for. I mean, why wait for someone to post a half-assed review on a Yamaha site when you can do a search or check out a KTM forum, and get much better information? Good luck!

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ba'ah... Now I'm feeling rather sheepish...

edit: I have just been saving up in general... now I know why...
I've looked up the numbers, read the reviews, watched the little videos, but I trust the people on here. the fact it's got 2 1/2 X's the torque in a sexy streetfighter package with a similar steering setup to the familiar fz was what hooked me... btw, it's not 14K... that's why I'm looking at it. Yay for knowing people!!!

Last edited:

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Ba'ah... Now I'm feeling rather sheepish...

edit: I have just been saving up in general... now I know why...
I've looked up the numbers, read the reviews, watched the little videos, but I trust the people on here. the fact it's got 2 1/2 X's the torque in a sexy streetfighter package with a similar steering setup to the familiar fz was what hooked me... btw, it's not 14K... that's why I'm looking at it. Yay for knowing people!!!

I'm pulling for ya, Smitty. :thumbup:

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oh, I love the Duke too! As it has been said here, is not only good looking, but I read a lot of great articles about it - looks like the moto-journalists love it.

I never rode one, but is on my dream list.
I spoke with 2 (intelligent) people that own new Dukes, and they compared with other bikes they owned before, and they were blown away about the KTM.

I also use to ride with a guy who has a Duke for a 1 year now, and he was also raving about it. Although he is just a little bit more experienced rider then me, I couldn't keep up with him on canyon riding - the Duke is a blast!

They all say that is a bike that does all & they wont go back anytime soon to sport bikes or sport-touring, etc.

I will like to test ride one.
Let us know if you get your hands on one anytime soon, if you test it & what your impressions are.
I personally think you can buy this bike with the eyes closed - you won't go wrong (or maybe I'm just subjective :) )

Good luck!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the track day guys I ride with has one. he really likes the bike, goes like crazy. I've heard the throttle response is so-so but nothing a Power Commander and a tune will not fix.

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Where could you even see one in WI now? I'd like to know myself considering the Ducati/KTM dealer closed near me (Corse Superbikes) and I didn't think anywhere else had such exotic stuff. Is there a place in Madison or something?

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a couple friends that have 990 dukeR's. Well one of them had a dukeR he sold his for a Ducati Streetfighter S. And one other guy now owns parts to what was his dukeR but anyway. From what I have heard from them they have strong points and weak points. The motor and suspesion is very good the chassis is OK. They have told me the on track mannors of the DukeR could use a little tweak. The breaks are good once you get used to them. the only complaint I have heard from any of them is the seat.Not like the seat on the FZ the seat on the R is Rock hard with a beveled edge that digs into your thigh. All and all if I was looking for a cheap streetfighter that has a bunch of options.That is also very well made I would jump all over a DukeR. Just make sure if you are really going to ride it get the full system exhaust and get the suspesion set up for your weight you will love it that much more

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know anything about the bikes, but I do love the commercials.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AIZ6w1Y4UI]YouTube - KTM Super Duke commercial[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmseLU0P06A]YouTube - Superbike KTM 690 Supermoto Commercial[/ame]

I've seen another one with some seriously amazing stunting, but I can't find it :-(

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do not own one, but after a rather lengthy test ride (990R) I took a while ago my first impressions were.

1. The torque will rip your head off.

1.5 In a straight up run off against most others, you'll leave them in the dust.

2. The brakes are phenomenal.

2.5 The handling is good but not stellar.

3. The vibration would take some getting used to.

4. You will get in trouble, it is a hooligan maker, period!

5. The seat is a p.o.s... a 2x4 with a sponge would be more comfortable.

My 2 cents...