Suzuki SV1000S...???

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today i looked at a Suzuki 2007 SV1000S, am taking it for a test ride tomorrow....not getting rid of my fizzer, just wanting to get a bigger bike for touring, and also have the desire for another Vtwin in my life!

The SV puts out about 120hp, weighs about 189kg's, has fully adjustable suspenders front & rear, decent brakes, a nice looking bikini fairing, factory fitted bellypan, and in the case of the particular bike i am looking at, a set of stainless Yoshi pipes.

Does anyone one here have any experience with the SV1000, and if so, what are your impressions of this bike?

I know that the FZ1S is a direct competitor to this bike, ansd produces a little more horsepower, but in a completely different way, just wondering what people think, before i take the Suzuki for a test ride tomorrow.

Here's the Wikipedia page on said bike.

Suzuki SV1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here's a pic....

View attachment 10759

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Keep in mind that I have never ridden the SV. Just general comments that I SUPPOSE apply.

I always loved the looks of the SV1k. however I wouldn't buy it to tour on it. These are the reasons:

1) Clipons are not the best thing for touring
2) The V-twin engines usualy come with vibrations (more than I4 engines)
3) The seats are oriented towards sport riding rather touring, especialy painful for a passenger.

The FZ1 has a smoother motor (being an I4) and bars to make riding in slow speeds and long hours more easy on you. Just my 2c

Keep in mind that I have never ridden the SV. Just general comments that I SUPPOSE apply.

I always loved the looks of the SV1k. however I wouldn't buy it to tour on it. These are the reasons:

1) Clipons are not the best thing for touring
2) The V-twin engines usualy come with vibrations (more than I4 engines)
3) The seats are oriented towards sport riding rather touring, especialy painful for a passenger.

The FZ1 has a smoother motor (being an I4) and bars to make riding in slow speeds and long hours more easy on you. Just my 2c

All fair & valid points....

Forgot to say that this particular example is also fitted with Helibars, so that deals with the clip on issue.

As for the vibration, being an old Ducati Man, i actually miss this on the FZ! And i cant comment on that yet myself, until i ride it tomorrow.

And yes the jury is out on that seat, till i go for a ride tomorrow.

And yes i really like the FZ1 too...awesome bike, smoother motor, but am guessing more peakey performance, so maybe

This can be seen in this dyno graph i dug out of the net....is a 2003 SV1000 V's a 2006 FZ1....Later model SV's have a slightly higher output. Unfotuneatly this comparo does not dhow torque comparison. But am guessing , being a V Twin, the SV would have to come up trumps in this area, and as such, have a nice meaty low, to mid range, as is suggested by the power curve shown in the comparo.

Motorbike Dyno Charts

Well, if my maths are still good (?), reading that graph tells me that the SV has pretty much stable torque up to 7k rpm, while the FZ1 has a drop in torque between 5k-7k.

This is not mathematically correct but it could be used as an estimate in absence of torque data. You can can get a general idea of the torque if you look at the slope of the curve. My math is really rusty, so plz someone correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Well, if my maths are still good (?), reading that graph tells me that the SV has pretty much stable torque up to 7k rpm, while the FZ1 has a drop in torque between 5k-7k.

Well there is no torque curve, but the relationship can definitely be imagined, and i reckon your on the money there, is also a very straight, linear power output, which would suggest lots of torque, everywhere on the SV.

Well there is no torque curve, but the relationship can definitely be imagined, and i reckon your on the money there, is also a very straight, linear power output, which would suggest lots of torque, everywhere on the SV.

I edited that post like 5000 times :D

This is not mathematically correct but it could be used as an estimate in absence of torque data. You can can get a general idea of the torque if you look at the slope of the curve. My math is really rusty, so plz someone correct me if I am wrong.

I edited that post like 5000 times :D

Lol, just read your "final" version of that post, after i had answered your unedited post....Lol, your edit, was like my reply! Lol.

So, that leaves us with a torque Vtwin versus a more top end orientated inline 4....of course, the FZ1 leaves the SV for dead up top, but i reckon in the real world you would'nt notice this much?

They were doing an SV1000 Classic last year here in the UK. Very cheap, although I think it had a small fuel tank thou.

sv1000_classic_small.jpg

They were doing an SV1000 Classic last year here in the UK. Very cheap, although I think it had a small fuel tank thou.

sv1000_classic_small.jpg

The S version only has a 17 litre tank...good for about 300km's....long enough in most cases, i suppose...I am not so hot on the naked version of the SV...is weird, I like the fz6n better than the fz6s, but with the Suzuki, it's the other way round? I also think i like the SV1000S better to look at, than the FZ1S

From all accounts i can find, the SV seems to offer pretty decent value.

No faired SV1000 in the UK or SV1000 for that matter, would not meet new emissions.

I think the FZ1N looks amazing.

If it is for touring, I would recommend the V-Strom. I just bought a V-strom 650 and couldn't be happier. Paid $7100 for a brand new '08 ABS model, great deal, especially since the price is Canadian... I know it's not going to win any beauty contests, but the engine, ride, comfort and weather protection are awesome for long distance touring. It also has fully adjustable suspension. If you want to farkle it, the V-strom is right up there with the FZ6 with a huge amount of bolt on options and accessories. Having a choice between touring on my FZ6, bandit 1250 or V-strom. The Vstrom would be hands down my choice.... Besides, with it's long travel suspention, torquey engine, 22 litre gas tank (better fuel economy than even the FZ6!), wide handle bars and 19inch front wheel the V-strom would be awesome in the outback. I mean, if you were so inclined to take it off road....:thumbup:

If it is for touring, I would recommend the V-Strom. I just bought a V-strom 650 and couldn't be happier. Paid $7100 for a brand new '08 ABS model, great deal, especially since the price is Canadian... I know it's not going to win any beauty contests, but the engine, ride, comfort and weather protection are awesome for long distance touring. It also has fully adjustable suspension. If you want to farkle it, the V-strom is right up there with the FZ6 with a huge amount of bolt on options and accessories. Having a choice between touring on my FZ6, bandit 1250 or V-strom. The Vstrom would be hands down my choice.... Besides, with it's long travel suspention, torquey engine, 22 litre gas tank (better fuel economy than even the FZ6!), wide handle bars and 19inch front wheel the V-strom would be awesome in the outback. I mean, if you were so inclined to take it off road....:thumbup:

I think the V strom is a great bike, well suited to Aussie conditions, but for a touring bike in Oz, i want something with a bit more grunt, to make overtaking those big trucks in Oz, a whole lot easier. Roads are also very open, and straight in Oz, with big cross & head winds a regular problem, extra cubes always helps in these conditions...still you make a pretty decent sales pitch! you got me thinking...

Ok i just went and found some info on the DL1000 V Strom...Now that's pretty much got the same motor as the SV...Hmmmmm..

Last edited:
I think the V strom is a great bike, well suited to Aussie conditions, but for a touring bike in Oz, i want something with a bit more grunt, to make overtaking those big trucks in Oz, a whole lot easier. Roads are also very open, and straight in Oz, with big cross & head winds a regular problem, extra cubes always helps in these conditions...still you make a pretty decent sales pitch! you got me thinking...

Ok i just went and found some info on the DL1000 V Strom...Now that's pretty much got the same motor as the SV...Hmmmmm..

I was thinking of recommending the new Varadero (a bit ugly but a good bike nevertheless). If the V-strom attracts you, consider the Varadero a decent alternative.

Canadian, didn't you buy a Bandit1200S last year? How is that for a touring option?

I used to have an SV650N before I traded it in and bought the FZ6 S2, One of the reasons for trading in was the amount of wind that used to hit me at any decent speed on motorways. However back to the SV1000S - while I was looking around I did test ride an SV1000S K3, very nice bike, very much quicker than my sv650n, pulled like a tracttor and got rid of the problems of being buffeted around.

I liked it, but my insurance company didn't and that was the only reason I didn't buy it. The insurance was 3 times as much as it costs me to insure the FZ6, otherwise I'd be hanging around the sv forums still and buying many of the OEM parts available.

I'm sure you'll be impressed when you take it for a test ride.

Ducati Multistrada....you know you'll spend the difference in cost on modding the SV anyway...the Multi will be da bomb straight from the showroom floor :D A modded SV could never be the touring machince that the Multi is.

I rode an SV1000 for 3 weeks and about 1400 miles earlier this year. A few thoughts based on my experience..
- The angle of the bars is unusual, and it created an odd twist on my wrists, causing discomfort after 15-20 minutes. This, combined with the long reach from seat to grips, makes for a miserable touring rig.
- The geometry of the front fork makes the bike a bit unwilling to turn in to corners. It's not as bad as a cruiser, but it takes a lot of counter-steering to get it to change direction. Body position didn't seem to have any affect on this, and it's quite easy to touch down sidestand (left) and footpeg (right).
- The transmission is the slickest shifting unit I've ever used. I don't believe it has anything to do with the hydraulic clutch, it's just well engineered. No clunks, no missed shifts.
- Plenty of torque all the time, and it revs out to 11K. No lacking in this department.
- Gas mileage sucks! It was always between 32-37 MPG, no matter how I rode. That is unacceptable, and will have you looking for a gas station every 130-140 miles.

I was thinking of recommending the new Varadero (a bit ugly but a good bike nevertheless). If the V-strom attracts you, consider the Varadero a decent alternative.

Canadian, didn't you buy a Bandit1200S last year? How is that for a touring option?

Yep... Bandit is great for sport touring... However, I am planning a trip next summer to Utah and some of the National parks out there ... I thought the V-Strom would be in it's element on or off road there.... I wouldn't think of taking the FZ6 or Bandit on any type dirt roads/trails... To have even more fun I am thinking of hooking a switch so I can turn the ABS off for sliding around the trails and fire roads...:D

I looked a bit closer at the DL1000 V Strom, and noticed it had much lower spec suspension, and brakes, etc, so coming from a Sports riding background, the lack of adjustability in suspension turns me off a little.

Being a Ducati Nut, i thought about the Multi strada, but it's uses the desperately under powered by modern standards, 2 valve engine, and i just cant cope with the looks..

after more a sports orientated tourer, still with a bit of comfort, thats why this SV1000S with the heli bar conversion attracted me first.

I guess it will come down to what i think when i ride the bike, as to whether i pursue this particular bike in my quest for a decnt value Sports Tourer...

Oh, by the way, i dont think i would go mod mad with this bike either, already has adjustable suspenders, big enough brakes, steering damper, braided lines, yoshi pipes, bellypan....only things i might change, would be brake discs, and a seat cowl for solo riding....other than that it would be mostly luggage stuff...which i should also look into the options available for this bike before going the next step...

Last edited:
My brother in law had an '05 SV1000s, and I loved it. My only complaint is that I am only 5'10" and I had to tippy toe at rest. Lovely motor, no vibes at all. All 90 degree Vtwin engines have a perfect firing order and perfect balance (unlike an inline four which has a natural second order imbalance, AKA the buzz). Any vibration at low rpms is due to power pulses. Very good handling and massive torque. My FZ6 was left for dust coming out of corners, but the fizzer has much more on the top end, and I could actually gain on him once I got into third gear. Fuel mileage on the SV was kinda sucky, not much better than 38-40 mpg on the open road. Riding the SV hard saw 25mpg. If the bike fit me better, I would have one in my garage, mainly just to listen to that twin sing! The sound becomes mean at 7k. And no the SV650 does not come close to the 1000 in terms of grunt and audio pleasure. If you like it, and can afford it, buy it!

Ducati Multistrada....you know you'll spend the difference in cost on modding the SV anyway...the Multi will be da bomb straight from the showroom floor :D A modded SV could never be the touring machince that the Multi is.

One of my good friend's has a Mutli 1100S and based on my few stints swapping bikes and his general comments I'm not so sure I'd call it an off the shelf touring machine. At speeds over 80 mph the wind get's tiring b/c of the half fairing and upright seat - it's way more turbulent than even the FZ6. The stock tune (lean) makes the motor relatively weak (for a big v) and pretty rough below 4k rpm which he corrected cheaply but very well with one of these and that sorted the motor great and even improved cold starting. Bottom line is every time we take a long trip he complains that it's not as good at touring as the ST4 he traded.

What it does do well is attack corners with a rock stable suspension over imperfections and easy grunt from corner to corner. Gotta remember it's basically more liveable Hypermotard but not enough so to be great for touring. All that said, I'm sure plenty of folks use them for that just the same as plenty of us use the FZ.

When I think touring, I come up with ideas like VFR800, FJR1300 and Concours14, etc but none of those will satisfy the urge for a twin if that's what you want.

Last edited:
Back