SV650S or FZ6 - Help - Can't decide

jeff2015

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a brand new sv650s a couple weeks ago but I got cut off by a truck and had to lay it down. Since it was brand new I was just up to the 600 mile mark and hadn't broken it in yet so I wasn't past 5500rpm. So it ended up the bike was totaled and I have to get another one. Since then I've found an SV650S and a Yamaha FZ6. The one thing I really hated about the SV was the riding position - after about an hour my neck, arms, and butt would be suffering. So that's why I was considering the FZ6... I really like the riding position. I would get the sv650 naked but compared to the FZ I don't really like how it looks at all... with the one big headlight and no windshield (or a reallllly small one). So I found an FZ for 300 more then a SV650s which I don't mind paying.. but I've read ALOT about the clunky gearbox and the really low range power. So basically I'm torn because I can get either bike but just don't know which to get... Thanks!

welcome to the site. Glad your here. This topic has been covered a bunch on here. Try the search function at the top bar on this page. It brought up at least once or twice a month. LOL

Basicly buy a FZ if your looking for comfort, or more power, or better brakes, or no front cyl oiling issues, or ..... LOL

Get the FZ6, you won't regret it. The SV is known for its low end power and the FZ has mid range and mostly hi end screaminnnnng POWER. The SV can't touch the FZ. Best of all, its comfortable to ride for days over the SV. And besides, better forum people on the FZ6 (here):D

Since you're here, you must want the FZ6. Ergos is your main difference outside of the engine. Do you want agressive or standard position? Or, are you looking at the standard SV650 with handlebars?

I had a brand new sv650s a couple weeks ago but I got cut off by a truck and had to lay it down. Since it was brand new I was just up to the 600 mile mark and hadn't broken it in yet so I wasn't past 5500rpm. So it ended up the bike was totaled

Just curious, you said you got cut off and had to lay the bike down. Did the truck stop? Was there any contact with the other vehicle? Sound like your insurance absorbed the whole cost.

I just visiited a friend in the hospital last week. He was in a very bad bike accident. A truck cut him off, he layed the bike down. Both the bike and rider slid, hit a curb, rider gets thrown into a fence getting sandwiched with the bike. Truck continued on like nothing ever happened. I have seen numerous post where the "rider layed the bike down" in order to avoid collision and the vehicle at fault just keeps on going down the road like nothing ever happened. Or, stops, but since there was never a collision, it's the rider's fault for crashing on his or her own. I realize that there is only a split decision to decide what to do, but from similar posts like yourself, I almost lean on towards taking the big gusto and making contact with the other vehicle to make sure that there is a collision. Either way, I'm going down and I might as well make the other driver pay for it.

You're dealing with the exact same scenario as I was: SV650S or FZ6. I loved the SV LED tailight set up, the low end torque but after final analysis I decided to go with the ergonomics of the FZ6. It was, I think, more than $500 more too but I still went with the FZ6. The inline 4 also tilted the scale for me; I kinda always wanted my first inline four. But, I spend a lot of time was looking back 'n forth between the FZ6 and the SV650S. Oh yeah, the naked SV650 was hecka cheaper but, as you, I didn't care for the appearance despite the riding position. I would say, however, that the SV650S would probably be the better steep, twisty bike due to the low end torque at speeds under, say, 40 MPH. Sure, one deliberately run high RPM's on the FZ6 in a low gear but that doesn't appeal to me. With the SV650S one can easily stay in one gear and pull through more of the slow/mid speed curves. I am very happy with my FZ6 and also appreciate the increase in HP and mid/high end power. The FZ6 not only goes fast it also looks fast.

Tailgate - How do you feel about the "from a stop" acceleration. Is it as bad as everyone really says and is the gearbox that 'clunky'?
Jeff2015: The FZ gets up RPM's fast and starts extreme pulling, say, once you hit 6K or so RPM. I mean, it's an under 12 second 1/4 mile bike. Now, I suppose the Suzuki will pull the FZ6 off the line....but not for long (heh, heh) As for the clunky transmision: yeah, 1st IS clunky, no getting away much from it. Once you're out of first, it's much better.

it is a little clunky. but from what i have read people that have a few mile and have switched to synthetic say the synthetic helps there. i got bad arthritis and was worried about riding position, have had back surgery too. i can say the riding position doesnt hurt me at all. it is worth the few extra bucks in my opinion. good luck--

I looked hard at the SV650 before I got my FZ6 last month. I've ridden both (obviously more on the FZ6!)

My thoughts....

FZ6 was waaaaay more comfortable. This was very important to me since I bought this bike for light touring.

As often reported, the SV650 does have more low-end. However, I found the FZ6 still had way more than enough and it was easy to control at lower revs. I also wanted something that had tons of passing power and the FZ6 sure fits the bill there (both bikes do, but I'm still in absolute shock at how quick the FZ6 is beyond 8K. It's an absolute rocket. Crazy fun).

Brakes are good on both, but better on the FZ6 (07+ especially - I've ridden an '06 and bought an '07)

Both bikes handle well. Slight edge to the SV650 on the very twisty stuff (pulling out of turns).

I wanted a 1/2 fairing (like the new bandit) and Suzuki doesn't have a new SV650 here with that anymore (it's either naked or full faired I think). In a low-speed drop the FZ6 will be cheaper to fix than a full-faired bike.

I've had V-twins and wanted something new. Personal decision here.

Finally, and this is a biggie for me, no valve checks for 26600 miles on the FZ6. Suzuki is pretty good too (14K I think) but I HATE checking valves. Both bikes are very, very reliable.

Definitely try an FZ6. You'll know if it's right that way. We'll be waiting for you :thumbup:

1st is clunkcy and the 1-2 gear change is not the smoothest. Yes, better with synthetic and better with miles on the bike, but still clunky. Since you rode the SV for a while, why don't you find an '07+ used FZ6 and test ride it? See how you like it. Each bike has its strengths and drawbacks and the decision of what is more important to you is personal. What drew ME to the FZ6 were: this forum, the looks, seating position, center stand, complete instruments with fuel gauge, looks of under seat exhaust, large fuel tank, reputation and proven reliability.

Last edited:
Why buy a bike that puts you in pain?
The trans only cluncks when going into 1st gear from nuteral, (my FJR is the same) after that it is smooth. Not an issue.
The 6 has better brakes, comfort & about 20 more ponies. Plus Yamaha builds a better machine. Done deal,eh?

I own an SV650S now, getting ready to sell it for the FZ6. I'll throw in my two cents. The SV is a great bike, don't let anyone tell you different. I personally think the SVS is a better looking bike of the two. The twin cylinder has some size and torque advantages. The agressive position and clip ons are fun.

Here's why I am personally switching. Comfort and aero dynamics are superior on the FZ6. I want to do some long distance trips with the old lady. Can't do it so much with the SV. Main issues are rider position, grip vibration and wind protection.

It's up to you and you won't go wrong either way. I recomend you consider what you will be using the bike for. Short distances, and either is a good choice. If you want to do some longer trips, the FZ6 might be a better bet.

Just curious, you said you got cut off and had to lay the bike down. Did the truck stop? Was there any contact with the other vehicle? Sound like your insurance absorbed the whole cost.

I just visiited a friend in the hospital last week. He was in a very bad bike accident. A truck cut him off, he layed the bike down. Both the bike and rider slid, hit a curb, rider gets thrown into a fence getting sandwiched with the bike. Truck continued on like nothing ever happened. I have seen numerous post where the "rider layed the bike down" in order to avoid collision and the vehicle at fault just keeps on going down the road like nothing ever happened. Or, stops, but since there was never a collision, it's the rider's fault for crashing on his or her own. I realize that there is only a split decision to decide what to do, but from similar posts like yourself, I almost lean on towards taking the big gusto and making contact with the other vehicle to make sure that there is a collision. Either way, I'm going down and I might as well make the other driver pay for it.

Interesting train of thought Vegas. My wife got run off the road by an aggressive truck and subsequently ran into a building. Truck kept going. I told her I would have kept my lane and hit him instead of the building... She thought I was crazy... Maybe we are :rant:

ok so i always hear sv vs fz blah blah blah...here is my two cents...

i ride with a guy most every weekend that pilots a 06 sv650 w/ minor mods (exhaust, air filter, some others i cant remember)...so on to it then...

...never, and i mean never has that machine been able to hang at all with my nearly stock (FE, catalyst removed, puig shield, sliders) 2008 fz6.

i was very surprised and disappointed at this, especially while i was riding his sv against him on my fz. not at all near the overrated, overstated, much exaggerated hype i have read (mostly while making my decision between the sv and fz) on other forums.

so they go on and on about "torque" blah blah blah...im not sure i got that impression while trying to keep with the guy on my bike and me on his bike stop to stop. it is nice seeing that sexy black fz6 from his point of view though haha.

but seriously though...you will probably get-
*better insurance rates on the sv
*more readily available/cheaper aftermarket
*v-twin sound...?
*?
*?
*?
*...a sense of regret when you ride with fz6's...

haha just messin with the sv guys, i wasnt sure about my decision until riding against not only this sv but others as well, now there is no question that i made the right decision for my personal tastes/style

good luck with your decision!

I know this topic is beat to death, but I will add my 2 cents..

I used to own an 05' SV naked and raced a buddy of mine with a 2001 or 2002 YZF600R. With a rolling 20 or so MPH start, we were pretty close until it started to get above 70 or 80MPH. The main thing was that his bike was a lot easier to race because he would just get the RPM's up and keep them there. With my SV, you had to make sure you were in kind of a 3-4000RPM range or else you were lugging the engine or it was running out of breath. And as far as top speed, and acceleration at higher speeds, he would have easily beaten me (I am assuming the YZF and the FZ6 have pretty similar power). The only thing IMHO that the SV "wins" hands down is in exhaust sound. The Leo Vince slip-on I had sounded awesome.

Back