T-Boned by a deer (need some parts)

S

Shamus McFeeley

So I got t-boned today by a deer leaping across the road. Bike is mechanically ok, I took most of the hit to my leg. Happened in a fraction of a second, didn't have time to do much but brace for it. I didn't go down, but the sucker cracked my front fender, fairing and took out my turn signal (stopped to see where it went, but never found it) not to mention it bent my rear brake lever back 90 degrees. I heated up the lever and bent it back like new but if anyone out there has them, these are the parts I could use.

Front fender
Front fairing
1 turn signal

Worst part is that it was on the road I take everyday, and I know the trouble spots for deer. I always slow down for that one spot, and it was like they locked onto me. If it had jumped in front of me I might have had a chance to swerve, but I'll be damned if that deer didn't aim for dead center of the bike.

(I've got some pictures I'll put up later)

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear you didn't have to lay it down. That's kind of scary having no time to react. I was on a ride last night (a little humid and dark) and I was so paranoid one would jump out at me.

I wonder if we should install one of those deer warning devices they sell at WalMart.

Dennis

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear you didn't have to lay it down. That's kind of scary having no time to react. I was on a ride last night (a little humid and dark) and I was so paranoid one would jump out at me.

I wonder if we should install one of those deer warning devices they sell at WalMart.

Dennis

I agree, I get paranoid as well, especially at night.

Do you think those little plastic "whistles" actually work?:rolleyes:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Sure they do, I've seen lots of cars that hit deer out here in Colorado that had those. So they must do a good job of attracting the deer. Oh wait that's not what they're for. :Flash:

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe you survived that!! I deal with jack-rabbits, prairie dogs, squirrels, gophers, roadrunners, crows, and hawks!!! One morning I had a close call with all of the above!!!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Those damned deer are bad at anytime of the year around Kentucky. I'm paranoid as hell about having one dart out in front of me, so much so that there are roads I won't take at all if it's dark, near dusk or dawn.

Glad to hear you made it out alright, although it sucks about the damage to the bike. That's amazing that you could take a hit directly in the side of the bike and not lay it down. Nice job!

Did you notice the deer afterward? Did it survive and run off or was it dead or unconscious? If that thing was just laying there, I think I'd have to go back and give it a good swift kick just to make myself feel better! Of course, that's only if it was a doe...if it were a buck with antlers, I might have to rethink that!

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those damned deer are bad at anytime of the year around Kentucky. I'm paranoid as hell about having one dart out in front of me, so much so that there are roads I won't take at all if it's dark, near dusk or dawn.

Glad to hear you made it out alright, although it sucks about the damage to the bike. That's amazing that you could take a hit directly in the side of the bike and not lay it down. Nice job!

Did you notice the deer afterward? Did it survive and run off or was it dead or unconscious? If that thing was just laying there, I think I'd have to go back and give it a good swift kick just to make myself feel better! Of course, that's only if it was a doe...if it were a buck with antlers, I might have to rethink that!

Where do we report abuse to :spank:

:D:D:D:D:D

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear you didn't lay it down and your alright. You could just go naked for the time being...and they have turn signals on ebay for pretty cheap. Could be a good opportunity to invest in some flush mounts or something after market that appeals to you.

And it is my belief that the dear whistles attract deer more than deter them. My boy put one on his celica and hit a deer a few weeks later. He went out and bought 3 more, 2 for his bike and 1 more for his car. Long story short, he his 2 deer in his car and 1 on his bike.

I have had no problems and I don't use deer whistles, only my own instincts and intuition. Your focus is your reality - the more you focus on deer running out in front of you, the more it will happen. Maybe that isn't the best mentality to have, but it works for me and I live here in PA where the deer roam like mad men.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site

My dad had them on three cars. All three were totaled by deer. When he stopped using them, he stopped hitting deer.

Glad to hear you are ok - those kinds of run-ins are super scary cause there is really nothing you can do but hope for the best. Had it happen to me in an SUV once, left a mighty big dent in the door. I couldn't imagine on a bike....

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Ugh! That's my biggest fear.

Like another poster said, here in PA, there are deer everywhere. My wife hit one in her car a few years ago, but I've been lucky so far. Lots of close calls though.

Way back in the late 1980s, I was riding down in Greene County, PA, following my dad on his motorcycle. I happened to let a bit more gap build between us than normal (probably about five bike lengths) and a deer ran in between our motorcycles. I was like "Did I just see what I think I just saw???".... :)

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Ugh! That's my biggest fear.

Like another poster said, here in PA, there are deer everywhere. My wife hit one in her car a few years ago, but I've been lucky so far. Lots of close calls though.

Way back in the late 1980s, I was riding down in Greene County, PA, following my dad on his motorcycle. I happened to let a bit more gap build between us than normal (probably about five bike lengths) and a deer ran in between our motorcycles. I was like "Did I just see what I think I just saw???".... :)
That is one ballsey deer damn

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ditto on the deer everywhere here. they do annual hunts in the area by some Vietnam Vets with bows and arrows to get some of the population down, but i think its just a drop in the bucket. i have hit 4 with my car, none one the bike though. one did $1400 damage: pushed the bumper into the wheel well. tough critters, every time they have gotten up and run off. they are mostly out at night, which is the main reason i don't do a whole lot of night riding. add on the fact that some have antlers :eek:

Wizegeye87

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about hitting that deer...you should've shot it afterwards...I own an 07 FZ6 and if things go as planned, I may be able to get you a turn signal. The left side one is in great condition, but the right side is scratched up. Not sure how much it'll go for but it won't be much for sure. Let me know if you're still interested and we'll talk from there.