Take the FZ6 to the Hague?

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone from The Hague, Netherlands, please answer up. I may have a chance for a job transfer in July 2012 to The Hague. Should I take the FZ6? how is the riding over there? Any info would be great.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know much about riding there(Den Haag=The Hague). But I can teach you some dutch though. :)
You will be surprised about the similarity's between dutch and english.
For exemple:
That is good = Dat is goed

Street= straat

My son is an idiot= Mijn zoon is een idioot

You see, dutch isn't that hard. ;)
Have fun when being here, you will feel at home. :)

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I don't know much about riding there(Den Haag=The Hague). But I can teach you some dutch though. :)
You will be surprised about the similarity's between dutch and english.
For exemple:
That is good = Dat is goed

Street= straat

My son is an idiot= Mijn zoon is een idioot

You see, dutch isn't that hard. ;)
Have fun when being here, you will feel at home. :)

You need a lot more grunting, gutteral sounds, combined with some light spitting if you really want it to sound like Dutch. :)

With regards to the original poster, I understand that the EU has some tough policies with regards to vehicle imports. I specifically recall reading about having to change out the headlights, running lights, maybe the reflectors, and making sure that the exhaust is stock or has some magical certification number that they require.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
You need a lot more grunting, gutteral sounds, combined with some light spitting if you really want it to sound like Dutch. :)

With regards to the original poster, I understand that the EU has some tough policies with regards to vehicle imports. I specifically recall reading about having to change out the headlights, running lights, maybe the reflectors, and making sure that the exhaust is stock or has some magical certification number that they require.

That's true. In Belgium we also speak Dutch, but without that charming accent. :)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i work in amsterdam, but i left my bike in the uk. I fly back every 2 weeks, and i live near some amazing roads, so it makes more sense to ride it there than in holland (though i'm sure they must have some twisty roads somewhere ;))

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
although I don't come from there my wife worked in the hague (den Haag) for about 8 years.
I'm not sure about the rules and regulations about importing your bike.

Den Haag is one of the larger cities in Holland, which makes it ideal for using your motorbike for commuting (if you live out of the city) as lane splitting is allowed here (if practiced with due caution). it will also help with the parking problems.

If you live and work in the city then a bicycle will be your prefered means of transport, in Holland the bicycle paths are (generally) well planned and often have right of way over motorised transport. In holland they often make it difficult to come into the city in a car (lots of traffic lights).

Another option for transport is (dare I say it) public transport :eek: In den haag they have several mainline railway stations and a Tram network and regular busses. We lived in Leiden which was close by Den haag and although my wife could get a parking place at her work (underground parking), it was quicker for her to jump on the train (rather than the car).

Back to the original question of biking, there are a few reasonable dike roads which are quite twisty and raised above the rest of the landscape, but most of the surrounding landscape is flat. The speed limit on these are generally between 60 and 80 Km/h. For better rides we generally head to south Limburg (most southerly county in Holland) or to Germany.
One of the beauties of Holland are the many quaint towns with historic centers, which are nice to combine in a ride :thumbup:

Of course if you bring your bike across we could all meet up for a ride :thumbup:

Being honest I really think it depends on your import costs.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Being that you're from the USA and wish to import your bike to an EU country, it appears that your motorcycle will have to have a European Certificate of Conformity (ECWVTA) "(European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval)".

I'm not sure if a USA sold FZ6 will have that.

Maybe there's an exception if you're just bringing your motorcycle there temporarily.

Either way, it sounds like a lot of work to me. :)