Teaching to ride

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
i had taught myself how to ride about a month before taking the MSF BRC. i passed the test 100% and the riding portion 100%.. credit to my experience probably

there are things you learn on the street, but there are several skills which are paramount to safe riding that you get to practice.. over and over, and over and get graded on during the course

teaching someone to ride, i dont think its necessary to not teach them anything until you take the course, i think that is non sense.. now, i wouldnt send them on the road until theyve taken the course, but anyone would do just as well learning the controls in a parking lot wether it has painted course lines or not

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
i had taught myself how to ride about a month before taking the MSF BRC. i passed the test 100% and the riding portion 100%.. credit to my experience probably

there are things you learn on the street, but there are several skills which are paramount to safe riding that you get to practice.. over and over, and over and get graded on during the course

teaching someone to ride, i dont think its necessary to not teach them anything until you take the course, i think that is non sense.. now, i wouldnt send them on the road until theyve taken the course, but anyone would do just as well learning the controls in a parking lot wether it has painted course lines or not

What's it matter WHERE they learn it? Learning is learning, whether they learn it from an instructor or someone else, it's the same information.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What's it matter WHERE they learn it? Learning is learning, whether they learn it from an instructor or someone else, it's the same information.

I would disagree on this to a certain extent.

Yes, you can learn pretty much anything from anyone. But who you learn it from is the key and I don't think you would be providing the same information as someone who is a certified professional who went through 130 hours of training using the MSF curriculum. Whether she learns from you or taking the class, unfortunately there is no way to guarantee any student will be safe out on the streets. What we are hoping to do is to minimize the risk.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point of view too. It's no different than parents choosing to do home schooling versus having them go to a public or even a private school. The difference here is that motorcycles are dangerous, it's deady but we all take the risk. So think of it as a safety course.

Anyone can learn the physical skills to ride, but what most people fail to realize that 90% riding is mental. People crash because they have made a mental mistake. A car pulling out in front of a rider resulting in a crash iis a mental failure in the rider even though the car was at fault.

Obviously it's your choice, the majority of the members here who have responded to your thread has generally leaned towards taking the class. I really do appreciate the riders who arrive with some expereince on the bike, probably getting some riding expereince from people such as you to get them going. Really makes my class run smoother. It's always good to have strong riders who can lead the group. But even after getting riders who have ridden for many many years without a license who takes the class, they will all admit that they learned a lot, primarliy how much more mentally it requires to ride safely.

Someday, I would like to go attend the California Superbike Track School. I have never been to the track! It's very expensive. Or I can learn from a friend in a parking lot. But I think I will gain much more by attending the school. So I will just have to save my money.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd just have her go through the site pretty thoroughly. There is a fun quiz about testing your awareness too:

Rider Perception

EVERYONE SHOULD LOOK AT THIS LAST LINK. For one it's a blast to do, two, it could save you in many situations!

Thanks man.

That last link (above) is REALLY important as any street rider knows. It'll teach her situational awareness under pressure, to absorb in the WHOLE scene. Do them multiple times and up the speed for more difficulty, it's fun! Taught me a thing or two!

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
I am one of the fortunate few that has a wife that is a natural at this sort of stuff. She caught on to the dirtbike really well. She had a hard time believing that the throttle is your friend.

The mental awareness and ability to accept the control you hvae over the situation is the biggest hurdle for anyone to overcome in my mind. I am hopeful that she will become interested in riding on the street. It is laways nice to have a riding partner that is not sitting behind you.