Test Rode a Buell Today!!!

timberwolf211

Reaction score
Visit site
Well guys it just seemed to be my day. The Harley store in town was having demo ride day!!!
So I signed up and went for a ride on a Ulysses XT. From start to finish I was impressed with its broad powerband. I don't have too much tech and detailed info to throw out. But I would suggest if the Harley dealer in your area has demo rides go and ride one. I think you guys would be very impressed with it.Compared to the 1200 sportster I rode it was a night and day difference. I truely understand the saying the bike inspires confidence when you ride.

Way more torquey than the FZ6, right? I wonder if a wider torque band is pure goodness, or is more a matter of taste, with pros and cons to it. From reading numerous bike reviews, you never hear a reviewer complain about too much torque, and it would lead you to think that it's something you can never have too much of. Someone on the Forum came to the FZ6 from a torquey bike (may have been the V-Strom) and he felt that its intense torque made it less smooth to control due to engine compression and other things. My previous bike was a Buell Blast, and although a wussy 34hp, it was still more torquey down low than the FZ6. It was fun to pull up hills in a low gear. But one downside (at least to that bike, not sure if that is related to the high-torque low-rev engine) was that it was hard to downshift. You really had to do it at the right time, since the engine didn't have much "dynamic range" to match road speed - it was pretty easy to lock the rear wheel if you downshifted too soon. FZ6 can tolerate most speeds in any gear, and is much more confidence-inspiring from that point of view.

Buell FTMFW!!! :D :rockon::cheer:

That old 1200cc thunderstorm push rod engine does the job indeed! the way I would describe it to ppl who have never ridden a big v-twin is to imagine the pull of the FZ from 8k-13k rpm, but @ 4k rpm and up :) so basically just open up and it`ll pull at any speed or gear :rockon:

harleys,,, i dont get why harley riders are the only guys that dont wave or give you a lil sign or sumtin , they sure are stuck up , eveyone else i mean everyone else around here ways , and are generally friendly

Last week I test rode a Buell Firebolt,after 20 min of riding I was sold,it made the fz6 feel like a piece of cheap asian plastic,sorry guys no more yamaha for me.

harleys,,, i dont get why harley riders are the only guys that dont wave or give you a lil sign or sumtin , they sure are stuck up , eveyone else i mean everyone else around here ways , and are generally friendly

they're too old to see that far :D

But even though Buell is owned by Harley, it`s still 2 diff design offices and manufacturing lines... plus the demographics of who buys a Harley is totally different than those who buy Buell...

It's comparable to Harley buying MV Agusta... MV Agustas won`t suddenly become cruisers for retired ppl....

The only thing about test rides that I don't like is if you damage the bike, then you have to pay for the repairs. It's like riding a brand new bike with no insurance. Your bike insurance in most cases won't cover it. I have read on forums of several instances of this happening.

Glad to hear you guys saying good things about the Buell. Everytime I have talked to someone about that bike I get a grin from ear to ear!!! I am going to test ride one more bike and make my choice from there. But I really think I will end up on the Buell.

I had some biker friends over for a BBQ one time in a past and they took turns on my two bikes. One is a buell blast and the other my FZ6. The blast has a Vance and Hines after market exhaust that sets off car alarms and the FZ6 is stock. After riding both everyone kept waiting to ride the blast again. The little bugger is fun to no end on the side streets. It goes like a ruptured duck between the stop lights but I don't take it on the freeways. It just doesn't have the power to scoot ahead of possible hazards like the lady switching lanes putting on make-up and talking on her cell phone. Or guy. It is California.
One highpoint is that they were all impressed with the power and handling of the FZ6 though. They never thought that a standard bike like the FZ would perform the way it did compared to being all hunched up on their crotch rocket gas tanks, which is the reason I bought the FZ6.
I liked the upright seating position of the blast, so I owe it all to the little blast that could, on the side streets.

Back