Texas Hill Country ride or "How to ride in the rain"

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I realized that it has been almost a year since we had taken off work, went out of town, and actually spent the night somewhere other than someone's home! So, making last minute plans, we both took last Friday off, dusted off the bikes, and went to the Texas Hill Country. The last time we went was on the fourth of July about eight years ago. That trip was spent in rain suits as we had torrential rain the whole trip. It rained so hard that highway 16 between Kerrville and Medina was closed due to high water! We didn't get to ride the "Three Sisters". Or is it "Twisted Sisters"? I am not sure. For you non-Texans these are three very twisty highways and are probably the best motorcycle roads in the state. Anyway, we were hoping that this weekend would be better. We headed out Friday morning from Burleson, Texas,(just south of Fort Worth) worked our way over to highway 16 going through Glen Rose, Hico, Hamelton, and then Goldthwaite. We stopped at the little joint that I believe is called "Knot in the Loop Saloon". It was located just off highway 16 near Willow Loop Road. The burgers there were very good. It was a nice place to stop and seemed popular with other bikers. Oh, by the way, I was riding a relatively new 2007 FZ6 (only 2000 miles on it) and my wife was riding her 2002 Honda Magna. We ended up spending the night at Kerrville. We had planned to ride highways 335, 336, and 337 on Saturday. Unfortunately, even though the weather forecast was good, it seems the clouds didn't listen to the weather man. Saturday morning was wet. It switched from a light rain to a heavy mist and back again until about one in the afternoon. We road on hwy 337 with wet roads. Riding the twistiest sections it seemed as if we were in the clouds. The mist was so heavy we were lucky to see more than thirty yards. We stopped in Leakey, Texas and had lunch. By the time we were through eating the bad weather was breaking. We then had a great time riding hwy 335 and 336 on dry roads, but were too tired to try 337 again. We need to start riding a lot more to get conditioned! Saturday night we stayed at The Legends Inn in Junction, Texas. The motel was nice for a no frills place. It is obviously popular with bikers. After a good nights sleep, we got on highway 377 and rode it all the way home.
Over all the trip was great! This is the first time riding my FZ6 any distance. Total trip was 740 miles. The FZ6 can easily go on long distance trips, but I learned that I need to add a 2x4 to my seat to add comfort!!! :eek: And, I need some sort of throttle lock or lever to let my right hand rest and get blood back into it. My wife suggested that I buy some of those bicycle underwear (the kind that has little gel pads for each cheek) to solve my sore bottom problem. That might not be a bad idea. Wearing them under my jeans might make me look like I actually have a butt!!!
Both coming and going the gale force winds (20mph constant and gusting to 40) tossed my bike around a bit, but wind has never really bothered me. My wife says that a strong cross wind makes a boring highway ride into something more interesting. Luckily, strong wind doesn't bother her either! We decide to use this trip as the starting ride of many more to come. We have missed spending time on the road on two wheels and plan on doing a lot more trips. At least when I get feeling back in my butt!

Here are a few pictures of our trip---

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Wet trip always trumps work :rockon:. Nice looking Magna I've always wanted one from that gen.

Thanks, It's a nice bike. She has no trouble keeping up with me and it has done well for her. She has been on some week long trips on it and it has been very reliable. She has only had one "wreck" on it, She hit a motorcycle cop. But it was his fault. He pulled out in front of her. She managed to get her bike slowed to about five miles per hour before her front tire hit his back. He was cross ways in front of her and she had no way to avoid him. I won't go into the detailed reasons why he was the best choice to hit. After hitting him she lost her balance and fell over. No damage to either bike and he kept apologizing to her as he helped her up. No harm, but the cop was a bit embarrassed! I keep trying to get her to get an FZ6, but she just won't part with her Magna.:rolleyes:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great time was had overall. Those winds can be a little challenging at times eh? Did you trade bikes for a portion of the trip or is was that not on the table of discussion?

Try one of these simple little devices, I just picked one up Saturday, it solves a lot of issues for not much coin...

Crampbuster

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great time was had overall. Those winds can be a little challenging at times eh? Did you trade bikes for a portion of the trip or is was that not on the table of discussion?

Try one of these simple little devices, I just picked one up Saturday, it solves a lot of issues for not much coin...

Crampbuster

She suggested trading bikes for the trip home, but I knew she hates to have her head buffeted in the wind. She has a big windshield on her bike that protects her well, and even though I have the bigger windshield on my FZ6, she still would have felt it in the high gusty winds we had last weekend. So, I will wait and let here ride it in calmer conditions. If I can get her used to having a little wind hitting her helmet, I believe she will be convinced. The handling and response of the Magna doesn't compare to the FZ6! But I guess it isn't supposed too. The Magna was designed as a fast cruiser and not a sport bike. Having said that, the Magna handles the twisty roads better than most cruisers. She enjoys the tight turns so much, she is wearing the foot pegs out on her bike. I see her drag them on a regular basis! I think if I can get her over the big windshield addiction, she would get hooked on a sport bikes better handling around the corners. I will work on her.:thumbup:

Yes, that Crampbuster is what I had in mind. I had one on the bike before I switched to the FZ6, but since I have been only driving locally I haven't gotten a new one. After last weekends trip I will be getting one right away!

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a good time. I have not had the numb butt issue, but I have heard that others have. Also, the throttle can eat your lunch on a long ride, throttle miester is on my list of mods this year! GRUMPY