The Fz6 Really is a Great Starter Bike

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Having started seriously riding on a Suzuki Marauder 800 cruiser, I can honestly say that to me, the Fz6 is a perfect starter bike for some. It has all the power you need for city driving and is nice and relaxed as well as extremely easy to ride with predictable handling. OTOH, it turns into a beast when the revs get up there and you flog it.

Coming from my Marauder, the Fz6 is so much easier to ride and enjoy. The Marauder wasn't comfortable for any length of time, would tend to lean more than you wanted if not careful, and just lacked any power whatsoever. Kind of surprising to me was the power issue as you wouldn't figure a 800cc engine would be lacking power but it did.

IMO, for new riders who may be on the taller side, I can definitely see the Fz6 as a great alternative to the Ninja 250/300 and CBR250. It has much more power but at the same time, can be just as gentle as the other beginner bikes if the RPM range is never explored. Plus, I can honestly see myself riding this bike for a long time without growing tired of it or needing something "bigger".

Just wanted to post this in case there are any lurkers out there who are considering one as their first bike. It wasn't my first, but I wish it was.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
personally i think cruisers are the worst starter bikes out there. too heavy, no balls, and terrible brakes. The FZ is a better starter bike than a full on supersport but i would still not recommend it for many people. i think those new 500's that honda just released here in the States (idk if they've been elsewhere) might be the perfect starter bike.

FWIW - I started on the FZ (@ 18 after 10yrs of dirt riding)

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned a Sv650s and currently have the FZ6. IMO the SV is the best starter bike. I know that is a constantly debated so like I said it is just my opinion.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
The fz6 was my first bike and I'm very happy with it. When I was looking for bikes, I narrowed it down to the sv650 and fz6. Sounds like I would have been happy either way.

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, the real power is too high up for anyone but an idiot to get themselves in trouble. You basically have to whip the throttle wide open, which isn't the kind of thing that happens accidentally.

After driving automatic cars for ~8 years before getting the FZ6, the bike sounded like it was screaming long before it even hit that sweet spot around 7k+ RPMs. I avoided revving it that high for weeks out of habit since 90% of cars redline before that.

Not to mention the fact that a 250 costs just as much to repair if you drop it. Possibly more since there's so much extra plastic...

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned a Sv650s and currently have the FZ6. IMO the SV is the best starter bike. I know that is a constantly debated so like I said it is just my opinion.

I think the V-twin helps a ton for a newbie since there is more engine breaking

Agreed, the real power is too high up for anyone but an idiot to get themselves in trouble. You basically have to whip the throttle wide open, which isn't the kind of thing that happens accidentally.

ya you do really have to try a little to unleash the power, knew someone on a 05 FZ6 who didnt feel it was fast enough on the freeways for passing and such, until he down shifted and got the RPMs up there.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love both my FZ6's... The one that runs idle to 7k and the scary one that takes over from there. It is so flexible that I can spend the day under 7k and still have some fun, and let 'er loose when I need a smile.

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 is my 1st bike and it's worked out well. I agree regarding power/rpm. OTOH, the reduced weight of a 250 probably makes it easier for a beginner.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is definitely a good starter bike if the rider is mature enough to be responsible with it.

I have had mine since 2006 and never once have I felt it was underpowered even as my skills improved.

I also have a 1635cc cruiser that makes 90hp and 118 ft lbs of torque. The FZ6 is still faster at all speeds.

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
I spent years researching bikes and I always had a reason not to buy. Mainly because I thought I was too tall and I wanted a sports bike, but I couldn't fit.

After finding out about naked/standard bikes, I went to the dealer and sat on a Versys and FZ8. Wow! They felt awesome! So much better in comparison to the sports bikes.

I purchased my FZ6 and the only riding I have done is when my dad was in town and he showed me how to start it and get it moving. So far, I am pleased with the FZ6 as my first bike.

For guys that are 6'4" and taller I think the FZ6 might be a great starter bike. My knowledge is limited, but I have sat on dozens and dozens of bikes and the three bikes that fit well for me were the Versys, SV650, and the FZ6. I am glad I went with the FZ6 :thumbup:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, the real power is too high up for anyone but an idiot to get themselves in trouble. You basically have to whip the throttle wide open, which isn't the kind of thing that happens accidentally..

I was such an idiot but it was actually in the lower rpms where I got myself in trouble on some gravel in the road. So, I don't think that it necessarily has to be ripping into a throttle as a beginner to be in trouble. There are so many factors that can contribute to an accident and high rpms is just one.

I found that there was sufficient power band to play with in all the gears but quickly grew tired of having to shift as often, plus the vibration above 7000 RPMs annoyed the crap out of me.

After finding out about naked/standard bikes, I went to the dealer and sat on a Versys and FZ8. Wow! They felt awesome! So much better in comparison to the sports bikes.

For guys that are 6'4" and taller I think the FZ6 might be a great starter bike. My knowledge is limited, but I have sat on dozens and dozens of bikes and the three bikes that fit well for me were the Versys, SV650, and the FZ6. I am glad I went with the FZ6 :thumbup:

I felt the same way as you did about being taller riding a sport bike, but the Fz6 proved to be uncomfortable for me after about 100-150 miles. My Fz1 is so much more comfortable in every way but the seat is not as comfy.

I took a demo-ride on the Versys and would say that could be a great beginner bike but the seat height of 33.3 is a little tall for the average height rider (I'm 6'4").

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ was my first bike and I still have it, but I learned how to ride properly on a Ninja 250 after spending 4 or 5 years poorly riding my FZ6. I think it's hard to get comfortable on it as a new rider because you're always riding it at 2/10ths to keep it legal. The 250 let me rev out a motor and learn some throttle control without breaking laws. For people with a bit of previous experience, like dirt riding, I think the fz6 can be a fine starter, but for anyone with 0 experience a less powerful bike is better.

Bernoulli

Reaction score
Visit site
I sure hope it's a great starter bike! I put a deposit down on a 2006 FZ6 and will be picking it up later this week. I figured this forum is going to be a great resource as I start out and learn the ropes. Having never ridden a motorcycle before, it's going to be a fun time I'm sure.

I look forward to learning from you all and sharing some of my upcoming experiences!

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
My roomie started out on a turd Kawi Vulcan 500, and has really hated it since day one. He now has an FZ6R. Loves it and wishes he had it since day 1. He says its way easier to control at slow speed as compared to the vulcan that wanted to dive for the ground at moments notice. who wants something like that?

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. Fz6 is the bike I started on. This bike is perfect for beginners.

A gentle mild ride in the low rev range.

You can ride for long hours without getting tired.

Easy to turn.

Enough power to be safe to ride on the freeway.

You don't have to sell this bike 2 weeks later because you outgrew it, just learn to ride in a high RPM range.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I sure hope it's a great starter bike! I put a deposit down on a 2006 FZ6 and will be picking it up later this week. I figured this forum is going to be a great resource as I start out and learn the ropes. Having never ridden a motorcycle before, it's going to be a fun time I'm sure.

I look forward to learning from you all and sharing some of my upcoming experiences!

Welcome, and you will have a lot of fun on your new bike:welcome:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site

Just respect it. ride it below 8K until you get used to it, open it up when there's nobody around. get on the interstate at 55-60 mph in 3rd and take it up to about 80mph without shifting. that will let you know how the power comes in without getting you into too much trouble, again do this wisely when nobody else is around at first.

My roomie started out on a turd Kawi Vulcan 500, and has really hated it since day one. He now has an FZ6R. Loves it and wishes he had it since day 1. He says its way easier to control at slow speed as compared to the vulcan that wanted to dive for the ground at moments notice. who wants something like that?

The 6r is a much better beginner bike. much more predictable power curve across all the rpm range and a little more low end torque makes it more forgiving off the line and at slow speeds.

I agree. Fz6 is the bike I started on. This bike is perfect for beginners.

A gentle mild ride in the low rev range.

You can ride for long hours without getting tired.

Easy to turn.

Enough power to be safe to ride on the freeway.

You don't have to sell this bike 2 weeks later because you outgrew it, just learn to ride in a high RPM range.

95% of riders feel that they have "outgrown" their bikes way before they have actually done so. the only legitimate claim for a bigger bike for a beginner is that you really need more than a 250 on the interstate/highway. if you cant pass a car easily, when needed, that's unsafe. because they are so light, a 250 with good tires will smoke almost anything on a tight technical road. personally whatever bike you get first (≤600cc) you should stick with for at least 6 months of solid riding, a year if occasionally riding it, before moving up to something more powerful.

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm right there with you. I have never owned a motorcycle and I recently bought the 2006 FZ6!

:welcome:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Just respect it. ride it below 8K until you get used to it, open it up when there's nobody around. get on the interstate at 55-60 mph in 3rd and take it up to about 80mph without shifting. that will let you know how the power comes in without getting you into too much trouble, again do this wisely when nobody else is around at first.

I would say take it in 1st gear and go from 30-60 (65 is redline). Then take it in 2nd gear and go from 40 to 75 (84 is redline). Then take it in 3rd gear and go from 55 up to 90 (105 is redline). I think the sooner you get used to that feeling of the bike kicking in the better once you have general street travel down.

The 6r is a much better beginner bike. much more predictable power curve across all the rpm range and a little more low end torque makes it more forgiving off the line and at slow speeds.

Agree with you 100%. I took a demo ride on the Fz6R and loved it, but would have been bored in about a week.

95% of riders feel that they have "outgrown" their bikes way before they have actually done so. the only legitimate claim for a bigger bike for a beginner is that you really need more than a 250 on the interstate/highway. if you cant pass a car easily, when needed, that's unsafe. because they are so light, a 250 with good tires will smoke almost anything on a tight technical road. personally whatever bike you get first (≤600cc) you should stick with for at least 6 months of solid riding, a year if occasionally riding it, before moving up to something more powerful.

I would back your sentiment on passing power of a 250. I would feel like a sitting duck on that thing. In the twisties a 250 with similar experienced rider will probably outperform a rider on a 600 or 1000. The difference will be in the time between twist. I usually get on my 1000 and catch up to anything I lost on the straights. requires me to learn better braking skills, trail braking and not being afraid to lean the bike over.

I had my Fz6 for about 3 weeks and put in 1800 miles. I was starting to get bored. I know the bike could outperform my skills set. I ended up crashing and got the Fz1 next. That bike has forced me to really learn some skills. I've taken the advanced rider course from MSF.

I think it really depends on how much you're riding that counts. Some people don't get 1800 miles in during a whole riding season, then take 8 months off getting rusty and come back the next year and only ride another 1800 miles. If that's the case then stick with a smaller bike that is easier to handle. On top of that the riding they do is mostly upright on not very challenging roads.

I ride every day to commute, sport ride on twisty's 1-2 times per week and go for long distance rides on challenging stuff at least once a week. I've ridden about 7000 miles in 3.5 months including Mulholland highway, ortega highway, CA74 to Idyllwild, etc. and am finally feeling like I'm getting it down.

Next planned bike I'm thinking is going to be a Tuono V4R or an adventure bike.

Last edited: