Thinking / thought about selling your FZ6?

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
Fz6 is great bike. No I dont want more power. I want something else , a dual sport 250/400cc.
Last Saturday I cleaned my fz6 and started in just two cranks. I was not on battery tender for whole winter. It was soggy and cold but I rode around block anyway, felt great.. All i need is two wheels.

Last edited:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really want the new 2013 ninja 636 lol... I'm still happy w my bike tho once it starts givin me problems then I'm might seriously consider getting a new bike but for now I'm a happy camper:thumbup:

TopPud

-Matt-
Reaction score
Visit site
Love my bike, but It would be nice to have its big brother the Fz1. Do I need it? No, But it would be nice. Ive also always loved Triumphs Speed and street triples :)

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have thought about selling mine, and I eventually will. My problem is that I came from the SV650s to the FZ6 and I miss that low end grunt of the V-twin. I came to the FZ6 back in April of last year after putting 20,000 miles on 2 different bikes since march the year before. (Thank you tame michigan winter!)

I loved the FZ6, and it was FAST. The issue was, (at least I thought) the fz6 felt... tame after a while. So I was debating keeping it over the winter (after I went down thanksgiving morning) and selling it in the spring to try to pick up a Daytona 675 (which I'm pretty sure will be what I end up selling the FZ6 for)

Here's the thing, I wanted top dollar so I decided to repair the bike (headlight mole, tail fairing, crankcase cover) and I found out I actually really like working on bikes! :) So I did the only logical thing... I started modding it to my liking! It already had a two bros exhaust, which I love! So I replaced the air filter with a K&N air filter, and the spark plugs (which I noticed were running really rich) with NGK Iridium spark plugs. I'm assuming the richness was due to the air filter being a bit... clogged. I then ordered some of the OSO2k rearset setback plates (which are 90% installed) and a new 520 chain and 16t/48t sprockets (+0/+2). I have a new front tire waiting to go on as well, and when I install the sprockets, I'm going to clean the living daylights out of the bike. But I noticed that over the winter, I started to grow fonder of the bike every day.

I likely won't sell the FZ6 for a couple years. At least not until I can afford the daytona 675 with cash. Until then, I am so happy with my little fizzer. :)

tdbill

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be hard pressed to find a SINGLE replacement for what i use the fz for... however if i was in a position where i could have multiple bikes then it would be an sv1000 for the longer rides and a r6/zx6 for the mountains.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my 8th bike, only owned it 3 weeks, but the flaws are pretty glaring.

1. I need suspension adjustment. I don't want to rip the forks apart every time I take a passenger for a ride, or switch from the street to the track.

2. The on/off clutch engagement is a huge pain. I'm considering killernoodle's mod, but exploring other options first.

3. The on/off fuel injection is the worst of any bike I've owned. Seriously, WTF Yamaha?

I think that's it, but the last two are huge marks against the bike. Clutch and throttle matter A LOT.

2. You've already discovered the killernoodle mod for the lack of clutch friction zone. Just had one quick ride since installing it last week -- amount of force needed engage the clutch is definitely reduced. Not sure about the engagement zone yet, but it seemed more forgiving.

3. I and others have installed the G2 Throttle Tamer to address this. I found it smoothed things out nicely on starts and when throttling back.
See:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/41520-throttle-tamer-not-bad.html

G2 Tamer Throttle Tube

More on topic, the only thing that has given me doubts about the FZ6 is the dreaded buffeting from the windscreen. At 5'8", I felt like a bobble head doll with the stock screen at highway speeds with the wind stream hitting me at neck level. Definitely affected my confidence as a new rider. A Puig Touring screen (four inches taller, I think) put the wind stream around the forehead and was smoother for me, but was very noisy at even low speeds. Ear plugs became mandatory. I put an MRA Vario Touring Screen on this winter (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouringscreen-windshield-for-yamaha-fz6-s2-fazer-07) and look forward to better riding weather to see if it is the windscreen panacea many of us seek.

I don't think the bike will go up for sale until I need to simplify my life, to relocate or whatever, by shedding possessions. Or if I finally surrender to the traffic and bad drivers in this area.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the MRA screen and I like it better than the Puig touring screen. To me, it's the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
the 6 is still a very capable bike heading into my 4th season owning it. After riding the ninja 1000 and also the Gsxr 1000 it kind of gives a good perspective of how well rounded the 6 really is. Been touring with it and loving the all day riding comfort.

Sell it? Not sure I would part with it if I pick up a new ride

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I thought about it, actually I did put it up for sale on CL. But I wasn't really sure about it.......I now have 16K+ happy miles on it. Yes I'd like to keep it, as I'm the 1st owner of this awesome bike.
I really like the new 2013 Kawee ninja 300 in Green...as another bike, but can't afford it right now.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I really have no reason to sell my 6, does everything I want it and need it for and some, but my 1st true bike love is a z1000 there was just something I loved about that bike and still would buy one today, right now but am def not selling the fz6

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my FZ6, but I find myself lusting for the new Street Triple. The FZ6 has plenty of top-end power, but I'd like a bit more low/mid-range grunt. The Triumph just looks and sounds awesome too. I'll probably keep the Yamaha for at least another year or two though.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I still have my fizzer, but it's for sale(shameless plug). Bought an S3, and I don't need to have 3 bikes sitting around the garage...

So I guess I'm selling it for space/monetary reasons. I do like the bike, I have no issues with it at all really. I got the S3 because I wanted a liter bike, a faster bike. I'm sure I'll miss the FZ's supple suspension on the commute to work though, the roads in NW PA aren't exactly...smooth.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 is perfect for everything I need. I'll probably get a cruiser at some point, as my girlfriend doesn't like riding pillion on Trillian.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt I will EVER get rid of this bike! :thumbup:
the only thing I could possibly ever conceive of is getting a FJR1300 and still keeping the FZ.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I had kind of planned on keeping my fz6 and ride it till the wheels fall off, well that's prolly what will happen next! I got the bike so cheep and really couldn't justify selling it until recently. But there comes a time when you have to realize that when a ride spends more time in the shop than on the street, its no longer a ride but a "project" and I for one have too many projects. I normally get bored with stuff pretty easy but I never got bored with the fz6, I might be insatiable and always want more but somehow the fz6 always gave me a little more. Once I get it back together ill have one last hoorah, I just hope it stays together long enough for me to enjoy bike week with it.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
The more I use my bike the more I like it.
If I get a second bike (or third, or fourth, etc) I envision keeping the FZ6. I'd really like to one day post a picture here showing 100,000 miles in the odometer ;)

Do I like other bikes, indeed, and actually I'm really thankful I have a marvelous opportunity, twice a year, to ride different bikes (demo rides at Daytona).

As of right now, I believe my second bike could be a small dual sport, that is what I probably see myself using the most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
I always find my self looking on the net for differenent bikes. Ususally just thinking of trading it for FZ8, FZ1 , CB1000 , or even some times at the cbr and r1 range. But for some reason, whenever i get on my bike for a ride especially on the mountains, i find my self smiling while taking the curves with my ass hanging out and then at the end sitting on a bench looking at the bike and saying to my self
"I have to be crazy to ever want to sell this bike"

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think about it all the time. Still hasn't happened after 5 years.

I do want a Vmax some day, but I might just keep both since it's not really costing me anything to hold on to.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually had mine up for sale last July after I had bought a new Triumph Tiger 1050. The Tiger was my dream bike as it fit me and my girlfriend perfectly and the Triple was intoxicating.

I received a few phone calls on the FZ6, but most people thought it had too many miles at 22,000 miles. Well, I ended up selling the Triumph as it had too many issues in just 4,000 miles and kept the "old" FZ6. I am now up to 48,000 miles and still trucking. I intend to run Z, as I call my FZ6, until it deserves to go out to pasture, but it is due some maintenance, so I always weigh the cost of maintenance versus buying something new.

Daytona Bike week is next week so I'll test ride a bunch of bikes and see if any tickle my fancy. It will be hard to beat Z for what it offers to me. The best thing is it still puts a smile on my face even though I ride it for my commute over 100 miles every work day. It's a damn good bike with many memories on it, so how do you put a price on that?