Thought I was getting a deal. Looks like I'm the sucker!!

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got a 2007 FZ6R last Saturday from CL. Odometer reads 2,300 miles and I paid $3,000 for it.

What I noticed the day I bought it:
-Dent in tank.
-Stator/clutch cover scratched.
-Matte black (was the burgundy color / chip under seat told me that).
-Broken left hand controls (plastic piece missing on cover).
-Chain guard held on with zip ties.
-Some kind of single headlight setup (have no idea if it is stock).
-GSXR forks (IDK why).

What I've noticed now:
-Right fork seal bad.
-Gas gauge INOP (float not connected).
-Front brakes are super soft / non-existent.
-Front brake lever makes clicking noise when I squeeze it.
-No Horn.
-Clicking noise randomly when I turn right.
-Can't turn right all the way bc the clip-on hits the tank.

My questions "garage related":

-Fork seals on GSXR forks? Anyone know how to do it?
-How to reconnect the float in the gas tank?
-Clicking in brake lever?
-Clicking when I turn right (randomly)?

Oh and just to add to my "I'm the sucker deal". It seems as though it's not the factory gauge cluster, so there is no telling how many miles are actually on the bike. Also I have no idea what the bike looked like stock bc there are no fairing except around the headlight and the tail section.

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
There is probably a Youtube video on how to replace the fork seals.

Not sure about the float.

It is normal for the lever to click. I believe it's the switch for the brake light. Bleed the brakes and see if you get pressure back.

Steering head bearing may be bad. Put it on the center stand and see if moving the bars left and right feel "crunchy."

What does the cluster look like? Is it OEM, just not original to the bike?

You may be able to adjust the clip ons so that they do not hit the tank.

What were your intentions with the bike knowing that it had so many issues even when you saw the bike initially?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Yamaha didn't make a FZ6R till 09. 07 would be a FZ6S.

Did you not test drive it before buying it?

I for one would love to see pictures of this... bike.

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
There is probably a Youtube video on how to replace the fork seals.

Not sure about the float.

It is normal for the lever to click. I believe it's the switch for the brake light. Bleed the brakes and see if you get pressure back.

Steering head bearing may be bad. Put it on the center stand and see if moving the bars left and right feel "crunchy."

What does the cluster look like? Is it OEM, just not original to the bike?

You may be able to adjust the clip ons so that they do not hit the tank.

What were your intentions with the bike knowing that it had so many issues even when you saw the bike initially?

I'm keeping the bike. The cluster has needle rpm on the right side (round) and digit reading of the speed and has gas gauge on the left side. All one piece.

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha didn't make a FZ6R till 09. 07 would be a FZ6S.

Did you not test drive it before buying it?

I for one would love to see pictures of this... bike.

Well when I gave my insurance provider the VIN they said FZ6R, title say FZ6R.

I did ride it before I bought it and our sounded healthy and rode well and seems solid.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a Yamaha cluster.

I'm guessing it was down on the rider's left. Without a frame slider, the fairing and possibly the headlights were probably smashed, the tank received its dent, and the stator cover got its scrape. He may have even bent the handlebars. Is the rear "pod" next to the seat on rider's left damaged?

I don't think I've seen GSXR forks on an FZ6 before. That's a first. Any custom looking bits? Your front brakes don't appear stock either, though they may have just been painted.

Are the tires original? At 2300 miles they wouldn't have enough miles to be worn down, but they are now over 8 years old and are likely hard. Check the date code on the tire to see when they were made.

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
thats an FZ6 S2 made FZ6N S2 (naked) I does look like the OEM naked set up. With a little work you should be able to bring it to your liking.

I love the 2007 naked.

Im not sure but the R at the end might be costing you an extra buck or two in insurance.

JON

I wonder if the R stands for REBUILT

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well when I gave my insurance provider the VIN they said FZ6R, title say FZ6R.

I did ride it before I bought it and our sounded healthy and rode well and seems solid.

That is not the FZ6R! That's the FZ6 if it were in Europe and it was a naked bike it could be called FZ6N for the naked version but it's definitely not the FZ6R

Here is the FZ6R and even if you got rid of all the plastics and made this bike a naked it would not look like your bike. Your bike is an S-2 FZ6. If you get totaled or need parts through the insurance company you may be covered for the cost of parts or estimate on the FZ6R which will probably not work on the FZ6. I would correct the identification on this bike and if the VIN does in fact resolves to an FZ6R the bike may be stolen. Fix this before you become part of something you don't want be. :eek:

There are too many difference to list so let's just say they are totally different bikes. They are both Yamaha. :)

Look at the frame of the FZ6R. It's a steel tube frame. the FZ6 frame is aluminum. You have the aluminum frame as well as the S-2 FZ6 swing arm and othe S-2 components. Different engines etc. Look at the exhaust. Like I say, too many differences...

2egd7nk.jpg

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a Yamaha cluster.

I'm guessing it was down on the rider's left. Without a frame slider, the fairing and possibly the headlights were probably smashed, the tank received its dent, and the stator cover got its scrape. He may have even bent the handlebars. Is the rear "pod" next to the seat on rider's left damaged?

I don't think I've seen GSXR forks on an FZ6 before. That's a first. Any custom looking bits? Your front brakes don't appear stock either, though they may have just been painted.

Are the tires original? At 2300 miles they wouldn't have enough miles to be worn down, but they are now over 8 years old and are likely hard. Check the date code on the tire to see when they were made.

Yeah it was down on the left side (no sliders) and I'm assuming a low-side low speed impact which would cause the bar end to dent the tank. It has also been dropped on the right side. What do you mean by rear "pod"? Also the entire front end is GSXR except the front rim, it matches the rear.

The tires are brand new looking, not stock. It was upgraded to the 180 series tires and they are Shinko tires front and back. They still have the little thin whiskers as I call them. I'm out of town and will look at the tire date when I get back on Sunday.

Last edited:

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
That is not the FZ6R! That's the FZ6 if it were in Europe and it was a naked bike it could be called FZ6N for the naked version but it's definitely not the FZ6R

Here is the FZ6R and even if you got rid of all the plastics and made this bike a naked it would not look like your bike. Your bike is an S-2 FZ6. If you get totaled or need parts through the insurance company you may be covered for the cost of parts or estimate on the FZ6R which will probably not work on the FZ6. I would correct the identification on this bike and if the VIN does in fact resolves to an FZ6R the bike may be stolen. Fix this before you become part of something you don't want be. :eek:

There are too many difference to list so let's just say they are totally different bikes. They are both Yamaha. :)

Look at the frame of the FZ6R. It's a steel tube frame. the FZ6 frame is aluminum. You have the aluminum frame as well as the S-2 FZ6 swing arm and othe S-2 components. Different engines etc. Look at the exhaust. Like I say, too many differences...

2egd7nk.jpg

Yeah just from the picture I can tell it's not the same bike. Thank you for your concern about the title portion, I will double check it once I get it in the mail and double check my insurance policy to ensure I'm not paying more for something that I don't have. When I originally got the title put in my name I had to change the color on the title to black as it said "red". Also I did run the VIN# through one of those VIN checkers and it hasn't been reported as stolen.

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro (sorry if I spelled that wrong), the cluster on that bike in the picture is the same cluster that is on mine. Is that cluster only on the 2009+ FZ's?

Also for anyone that is interested. Once I get back into town I will take more pics and post them up for y'all.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 also comes with a 180 rear tire so I would question and verify any info that has been given to you. Other than that you still may have a great bike for the money. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That instrument cluster was used on all 2007 to 2009. FZ6 FZ6R and also on FZ1:)

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 also comes with a 180 rear tire so I would question and verify any info that has been given to you. Other than that you still may have a great bike for the money. :)

The guy that I bought it from didn't know anything but what the previous owner told him. Said it had GSXR upgrade and bigger tire upgrade. I am honestly starting to think the 1st owner wrecked it, then Frankenstein'd it back together with a GSXR front end. But if that headlight assembly is stock, then maybe not. I do know that the gauge cluster has wires coming out of it and they are wrapped in electrical tape, which makes me think it didn't come stock like that. I would assume it would have come with wire loom not tape.

Anyone know the answer to that? Do the wires from the cluster come from the factory with wire loom or electrical tape covering them?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the picture, looks like your bike is missing a front fender. Most states require you to have one. Not sure about Georgia, but something you should check into so you don't get one of those fix a ticket.

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
From the picture, looks like your bike is missing a front fender. Most states require you to have one. Not sure about Georgia, but something you should check into so you don't get one of those fix a ticket.

Yeah I honestly didn't even notice it until after I bought it and loaded it up in the truck. I'm just trying to figure out what year and model GSXR it came from so I can order the right fender....:confused:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, given everything you have said, I would be very weary of that front end conversion.

A few quick things:

The headlight is not stock for a U.S. Bike. Installing a single headlight is not necessarily difficult but does require a good deal of modification to the wiring in order to have if function appropriately.

The front wheel is not an original Yamaha part, likely came with the forks. The missing Front fender is likely due to lack of space to the radiator. It almost looks like the brake hose is already contacting, I would check to make sure that the tire will not contact at full fork compression.

The clicking when turning right is also concerning. Front end conversions are very difficult to do correctly. Id be curious how the previous owner handled the steering stem diameter differences between the gsxr and the stock Yamaha. Clicking likely means that there is a clearance issue with the bearing and steering stem

I would really recommend going through this with a fine tooth comb. Better to find out what may need replacing up front

Last edited:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
If youre anywhere close to the southside of ATL I am more then happy to take a look at it and clear up or at least give some light on Frankenstein there. (my gf has a gsxr and my FZ6 so I have both to compare parts too :spank:
and if you need I have almost any tool ever needed to work on anything lol

(according to the Snapon guy that did my inventory this year I have more in my box then some people have equity in their homes) :ban::D:eek::spank::spank::spank::spank: