Thoughts on the FZ-09

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure how it would be for you at 6'4". It felt quite a bit smaller than my FZ6. They had an FZ8 there as well and that thing looked massive next to the FZ-09.

rs117

Reaction score
Visit site
with that said the FZ6 is a fun bike and my daughter has already claimed it :rockon:

just waiting to see the new FZ9 in person, she should be a fun platform to start with

sorry for the thread jack

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
my 2010 Z with 129 / 87 of rear wheel pure ugly but sooo much dang fun :thumbup:

No doubt the Kawi is a fun ride. I demo'd the Z1000 and Ninja1000ABS. I was taking a right turn after waiting at a light on the Ninja1000. I got on the gas at around 3000 RPMS to catch up, and the front wheel came up a foot, maybe 2. I wasn't expecting that, because the Yamaha (my Fz1, and what I remember the Fz6) is notoriously weak on the low end, but kills on the top end. The triple should have a better low end and may even this out with the competition.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been mulling over getting a Vmax for a few years, but that FZ-09 is love at first sight, and I wouldn't need to get a loan to buy it. I'll probably buy one once I'm back in the states.

First thing to go is that huge fender thingy.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Plan on riding my FZ6 for a couple more years then decide between this or a Street Triple. More than likely will go with the FZ9 because of price and can probably find a gently used one easier than a Street without having to go three states over. It is one sexy a** bike as well!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I just talked to my local yamaha dealer about trading my FZ6 in for FZ-09. He said they weren't sure when they will show up, they think 4 or 5 weeks. They're going to email me when they have a solid ETA.

twisty mcfisty

Reaction score
Visit site
Great price. Speaking on behalf of the Triumph Trips, they have power everywhere. If I had the money, I would own a Speed Triple. My friend has one in blaze orange and it is an absolutely stunning machine as far as looks and performance.

I'm curious to see how this new Yam triple performs. I had an old xs750 that we stripped down and converted to a dirtbike/mad max machine. It was an awesome bike for the heft of it.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Feature wise, it's got a lot going for it -- super low wet weight, inverted forks, centered under-engine exhaust, and it's cheap, too. Presuming it has standard bike ergos, too.

In as much as I like the way naked bikes look, in practice I think it would be a PITA to drive on the interstate. For me, a huge windscreen would be required, and I question that tiny pillion's luggage bearing capacities.

I've thought about the z1000 as a second bike. A guy at the dealer said that nakeds are no fun on the highway though due to lack of wind protection. I like the FZ8 look more than the 9.

MY Fz1 is naked and I've ridden from Scottsdale to Malibu in one day and Scottsdale to Durango in one day (both trips, luggage was a tank bag, duffle bag and Camelback). One trip is 410 miles and the other is 440 miles respectively. That is about my max range and probably the biggest part of the fatigue factor I'm guessing is the wind buffeting over the 8-9 hours. The last 100 miles I was pretty beat and ready to be done. On other parts of my longer distance trips I've found that 300-350 miles is the perfect day. Allows for a leisurely pace, eating a proper breakfast, lunch and dinner and getting parked and situated before dark. When I am touring I'm not trying to win an Iron Butt Award and if I was I would not do it on any of the Yamaha sport bikes except an FJR or Super Tenere.

As for the naked bike being no fun on the highway, I'd say that guy is a pussy (or insert whatever word you wish for someone who doesn't possess a sense of visceral fortitude). I had my bike up to 130 today on the highway and it really isn't that bad. You really don't start to notice the wind until after 75 mph. From 85mph on up, if you tuck you can still get a little under the wind and my Fz1 doesn't even have a fly screen. I had an MRA vario touring screen on my Fz6 and it definitely helped if full tucked to eliminate almost all wind, but at my height of 6'4" I almost found that wind kicking off created more helmet bobble head (read more neck pain) than the direct airflow of the naked when sitting up. I personally like the feel of the wind. I am a big guy and a size 48 jacket, so my body does act like a sail if it's really windy. But I can get in a position and rest my elbows on my knees and cruise quite comfortably through the wind. During my ride to Cali through the desert at Palm Springs I was faced with 20-40 mph wins and basically was hanging off the bike like i was cornering and still kept a pace of 70-80 mph

I at first was really against the MT-09 (Fz-09 but after reading more about it, it basically sounds like a more comfortable riding position with the Fz1 torque in smoother delivery starting in the lower rpms and the Fz8 top end. Too me this makes a good compensation to have the fun and thrill of the kick in the paints with a little more limit so it's not as easy to kick it up to 130 and risk getting arrested. The Fz-09 is about 60 pounds lighter than my naked Fz1, which some people feel like the Fz1 is a little piggish in it's cornering and compared the Fz-09 to more like an R6.

Negatives to the Fz-09 are classic Yamaha problems, mainly it needs a suspension upgrade as soon as you get it followed by a throttle programming to smooth out the twitchy yamaha YCC-T programming.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs3RTfu3QC8]Yamaha Strikes Back with the MT-09 | First Ride | Motorcyclenews.com - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
MCN review

As Ssky posted, here's the MCN review video from Sept 2013:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVSmwtOIXM]Yamaha MT-09 First Review | MotorcycleNews.com - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the stunty launch video from Croatia:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKMBxg9Wc_4]Yamaha MT-09 (FZ-09) press presentation, Croatia, September 2013 official - YouTube[/ame]

Basically the only complaints that MCN have are cheap front suspension and snatchy throttle response from off idle (in two of the three electronic modes).

As an FZ6 owner, I think that I'm used to those limitations. ;)

I really like the FZ-09, but sense it will be difficult for me to justify getting one when I barely ride my FZ6.

I do like that the video showed one of the bikes with a Yamaha fly-screen installed, so we know that one exists.