Thoughts on the FZ-09

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post...but what do you think of Yamaha's new three cylinder? I'm very curious, I've got a Triumph and I love the i-3. Where do you think they'll go from here? I like the shorty exhaust that comes standard too, I like the simplistic look of it. I think the FZ8 has a better overall appearance...but every time I look at the -09 it grows on me.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a Triumph triple. I like where they're going with their bikes but between this and my Streety, I prefer mine.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, I feel like my speedy is much more refined and sexy. I sold my FZ6 a little while ago to my roommate, and I love my speedy more, but I'll always have a soft spot for Yamaha.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The lines remind me of the Aprilia Dorsoduro.
The new FZ-09 looks like a great combination of features and engine performance. The larger pistons will improve bottom end performance and as a triple will have still have a smoother operation and a nice top end. They have a good starting point on the suspension. Range is the one thing I question as it's got A 3+ gallon fuel tank.
Looks like the price is very competitive.
2009-aprilia-dorsoduro-750-8.jpg

Yamaha-FZ-09-10.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
A half fairing option is all it needs to have me sold! Naked is great around town and in the mountains but not so great for long stints on the interstate at 75mph. I like that about my FZ6. Also I'd have to be able to easily attached soft luggage for weekend trips, not sure how capable the FZ-09 will be of that just yet.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Great price, specs, and features. Too bad the gas tank is so small and there is obviously no possibility of a centerstand so it is basically just a toy.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A half fairing option is all it needs to have me sold! Naked is great around town and in the mountains but not so great for long stints on the interstate at 75mph. I like that about my FZ6. Also I'd have to be able to easily attached soft luggage for weekend trips, not sure how capable the FZ-09 will be of that just yet.
I agree a half fairing would be great, I love the FZ9 it's got that Yammi ugliness that I love.
I'm a bit peeved that the centre stand is not stock equipment.
Nelly

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree a half fairing would be great, I love the FZ9 it's got that Yammi ugliness that I love.
I'm a bit peeved that the centre stand is not stock equipment.
Nelly

The centerstand was one of my favorite things about my FZ that I miss on my S3. They make a center stand for the S3 but...I feel like it would just be ugly. I'm trying to slim her down as it is, the stock exhaust has got to go.

gocartone

Reaction score
Visit site
Love this bike! It could use more power (more is always better :rockon:), but 414lbs wet is AWESOME! Assuming it doesn't sound like ass with aftermarket exhaust I'd like to get a used one in a couple years when the used prices fall.

Great price, specs, and features. Too bad the gas tank is so small and there is obviously no possibility of a centerstand so it is basically just a toy.

I agree on the larger tank, but how often do you ride over 100 miles without stopping? If this thing could get 50-55mpg on the highway (easy goal to hit IMO, especially with a bike this light), a 3.7 tank is still good for around 150 miles before you have to start looking for a gas station. Even at 35mpg you would get over 100 miles before having to look for gas.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Love this bike! It could use more power (more is always better :rockon:), but 414lbs wet is AWESOME! Assuming it doesn't sound like ass with aftermarket exhaust I'd like to get a used one in a couple years when the used prices fall.

I agree on the larger tank, but how often do you ride over 100 miles without stopping? If this thing could get 50-55mpg on the highway (easy goal to hit IMO, especially with a bike this light), a 3.7 tank is still good for around 150 miles before you have to start looking for a gas station. Even at 35mpg you would get over 100 miles before having to look for gas.

Good point. My Ninja 500r got about 180 miles on a tank, I don't remember off the top of my head what the capacity was though. Range is the main point of what I'm saying though

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Feature wise, it's got a lot going for it -- super low wet weight, inverted forks, centered under-engine exhaust, and it's cheap, too. Presuming it has standard bike ergos, too.

In as much as I like the way naked bikes look, in practice I think it would be a PITA to drive on the interstate. For me, a huge windscreen would be required, and I question that tiny pillion's luggage bearing capacities.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
The FZ-09 has caught my eye!

The FZ-09 has caught my eye! I really like my 2004 FZ6 which I bought new, but I have been thinking of another bike. I like the idea of a lightweight bike with the torque of a triple.

Like others have said, I'm concerned about the small fuel capacity, but if the mileage isn't too bad, 3.7 gallons will suffice.

I too would require some sort of mini fairing before I'd purchase the bike. I like the naked look, but I need some sort of wind protection on the highway.

And, having a 2004 FZ6, I have gripes about the instrument panel on the FZ-09. Come on Yamaha, we don't want bar graph LCD tachometers! That was one of the things that Yamaha really fixed on the 2007+ FZ6.

The FZ-09 suspension seems like a nice setup for a non hardcore sportbike and I bet it would be fine for me. I put R6 forks on my FZ6, but that was because the 2004 forks and brakes really were bad. I think that I could live with the suspension on the FZ-09.

So, my wish list is:
- Slightly larger fuel tank
- Real needle tachometer and digital speedometer
- Mini fairing (which does not induce painful turbulence noise like on my 2004 FZ6)

But, give me the mini fairing and I might just buy one of these. Are you listening Yamaha?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I got to sit on one at IMS MotoGP yesterday.

The FZ09 fit and finish is much better than the fz6, it's noticeably lighter, the seat is SUPER narrow. My 5'5" self had no problem flat footing this bike. The handlebars have a good bend to them, much better than the FZ6. The suspension and swing arm are nice touches. They make the bike look and feel premium (at least at a stop).

I think one of these might find its way into my garge.

fz-09 by Benji Reynolds, on Flickr

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I got to sit on one at IMS MotoGP yesterday.

The FZ09 fit and finish is much better than the fz6, it's noticeably lighter, the seat is SUPER narrow. My 5'5" self had no problem flat footing this bike. The handlebars have a good bend to them, much better than the FZ6. The suspension and swing arm are nice touches. They make the bike look and feel premium (at least at a stop).

I think the fact you can flat foot it at 5'5" just made me not want to get it. I love my Fz1 because it is at least a half decent size for me at 6'4". The tank is wider and the seat is wider/higher.