Time for new tire(s)

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I run 33F/36R, and I'm about 170 lbs without gear.

I did keep track of the wear bars, and saw that I still had a little while to go before they needed to be replaced based on that info. I checked my tire before I left for the trip and there was no cord. I noticed it while I was away.

I may have locked the rear once or twice, but at lower speeds (under 30.) The previous owner looks to have lowsided the bike, though I'm not sure if a lockup was to blame, or if these tires were even on the bike at the time.

Now that I know just HOW square a tire appears when worn, it'll give me a better indication of wear. Still comes as a surprise to me though. A small witness tread in the center of the tire, even if only a couple times in circumference would be nice.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Pirelli and Metzeler (Metz owns Pirelli) tires are famous for looking like you have plenty of center tread left and the wham, cords are showing. Swore off their tires years ago because of this not so good trait.
Even though the PR2 does not have the groves in the middle it won't wear out that fast in the middle.
Your pressure is a bit low and this will cause the tires to wear faster and low front tire pressure can allow pot holes to bend your rim easier, bump your tire pressure to 36/38 (or more)for better tire mileage. It's better to run your street tires a bit on the high side than too low.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Replace both ASAP. My front tire looks about the same on the wear bars as yours and I'm replacing it with the rear in the next month.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the Angel GTs mounted and balanced on Wednesday. A local racer did them after I took them off the bike for just $20 bucks a tire. I'll take it! Also put some 83 degree valve stems on. Makes checking pressure so much easier.

I had so gotten used to riding a square tire it felt like the bike was going to fall over the first time I turned in. Took it for a 60 mile ride to scrub them in. Feels good now. No complaints.

Chaotic29

Reaction score
Visit site
You should have got the Pilot road 3's! or 4's...
I have put 16,500 MILES of my PR3's in the last year and there is still no flat spot, the wear is very even across the tire. I can see getting 20k miles out of this set of tires comfortably I think... we will see :rolleyes: I do alot of commuting during the week to school and rides on the weekends with family and friends.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the Angel GTs mounted and balanced on Wednesday. A local racer did them after I took them off the bike for just $20 bucks a tire. I'll take it! Also put some 83 degree valve stems on. Makes checking pressure so much easier.

I had so gotten used to riding a square tire it felt like the bike was going to fall over the first time I turned in. Took it for a 60 mile ride to scrub them in. Feels good now. No complaints.

New "shoes" especially from badly worn/squared ones make a big difference in handling.