motorcycle leaning left after new rear tire.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike started leaning on my left once I leave the handlebar (even with old tire) and
I got my new M-PR4 for rear with 36-38 psi and after the tire is balanced, there are much more vibrations compared to previous tire when I remove my hands off of the handlebar. I'll add some air in the front one tonight and check again.
I'm going with the sticker on my swing arm for psi on front, as I'm less than 90Kg including my luggage (if any).

Edit:
I tried positioning myself in different ways to make my bike stop leaning.
And before I purchased this bike, I test drove someone else's off of craigslist and he doesn't have enough air in both of his tires, It leaned the same way, but why left?
What do we have that is more weight than right? Shouldn't be the bike balanced?

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Leaning to left - check if the wheel is properly aligned. Vibrations - check chain slack first, also might be related to wheel alignment as the sprocket might be rubbing against the chain at an angle while rolling. If these look good, maybe the tire was not balanced properly.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Leaning to left - check if the wheel is properly aligned. Vibrations - check chain slack first, also might be related to wheel alignment as the sprocket might be rubbing against the chain at an angle while rolling. If these look good, maybe the tire was not balanced properly.

He balanced the tire in front of me and added some stick-on weights too.
Chain tension is fine, less than inch variation.
He checked the distance between the nut which holds the tire (oh god, i'm so dumb, the red circle in the pic) in the swing arm and it is around 27mm (with digital caliper).

What else needs to be checked?
Thanks for your reply.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He balanced the tire in front of me and added some stick-on weights too.

The NUT / bolt is the adjuster, NOT THE ALIGNMENT......

There's marks inside the EDGE OF THE SWINGARM, where the square block is that holds your axle... Those should be on the exact same marks, on EACH SIDE..

Chain slack should be 2" TOTAL up and down at its tightest point, mid swing arm.

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If chain slack (free movement) while on center stand is less the an inch - it is too tight. I think factory spec is upto 2 inches (up-down) movement near the loosest point.

He checked the distance between the nut which holds the tire (oh god, i'm so dumb, the red circle in the pic) in the swing arm and it is around 27mm (with digital caliper).

That is a good starting point, but not necessarily accurate. Check this : http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/53290-chain-alignment.html?highlight=alignment

What else needs to be checked?
Thanks for your reply.

Depends on the kind of vibration you think you feel. Do you feel a high frequency vibration at the handlebar(like caused by engine) or a slow one - like a wobble(related to the rotation of the tire)?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking that might be your problem. Isn't the slack on this bike like, 2 inches or something? That would pull your rear tire and cause you to drift left.

Ya, I'll get it fixed tonight, but on the other hand, It was more tighter, before changing the tire and adjusting.
That kind of threw me off, and leaving to think there is some other problem.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
raja777m;612141 He checked the distance [B said:
between the nut which holds the tire in the swing arm[/B] and it is around 27mm (with digital caliper).

The NUT simply locks the adjuster bolt. The bolt is the adjuster, NOT THE ALIGNMENT......

There's marks inside the EDGE OF THE SWINGARM, where the square block is that holds your axle... Those should be on the exact same marks, on EACH SIDE..

Did you re-align (or at least check) using the MARKS ON THE SWINGARM?? Bolt/nut spacing means NOTHING...

Last edited: