Time to build me an FZ6 Touring bike! Help!

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
The one thing when touring is your going to see different kinds of weather while your on the road. Having an oversized wind screen to hide behind is nice. I've thought about adding the full fairings because at times when it's cold out I wish I could hide the rest of me behind it too. Just a break from the wind or rain.

I don't know if my expectations are off, but I've understood the fairing helps move that wind around you.

Heh Heh Heh Break of the wind....

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I have toured Scotland (1500 miles) on my naked with just a Ermax screen.

If adding heated grips then they can be connected to the headlight circuit. You don't need a separate relay on the naked as the total load of headlight and heated grips is still less than the fazer with beam and headlight on.

I connected my heated grip wiring inside the left side cover to the positive coming from the headlight relay, I ran a short cable to inside the underseat storage area, fitted a tamiya socket, then wired the heated grips from this. Great thing with this is in the summer you can use the under seat socket for other things, or easily disconnect the heated grips if you wish.

Power for the GPS, I have a lead that goes from my battery optomiser connection (again these are Tamiya type) to a car power socket. The lead is routed to the front of the tank then up into the bagster, the socket and GPS charger plug is then protected in the bagster along with the GPS. The lead is installed in seconds when required.

marsh0787

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted on this thread.... Have you looked into the Vista Cruise or some sort of cruise control like it? for $40 US it was a great investment for me.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've toured - naked bike - Yamaha screen. That's all.

Perfect. Not a worry in the world :D

yep I have done about 15000km's of touring on my other FZ6N with just a screen, and agree, no problem. I won't be getting any fairings or doing an FZ6S conversion...

Lots of great advice, links, suggestions, etc, already in this thread.

I managed to get my Yamaha top case and rack, Corbin seat, Yamaha screen, powermadd wind deflectors, bagster tank bra & bag, and the essential GYTR frame sliders, on the bike last night, so I am more than half way to getting the bike touring ready.

Am going to put the centre stand back on the bike, get some heated grips, put a power outlet somewhere????

Then there is the big one....which panniers and mounting system???? A few great suggestions in this thread already, not too concerned about size...I want decent storage capacity first!

Will most probably run Michelin pilot road 2's....best all purpose sports/touring tyre I have ever used!

I thunk I might be wise to invest in a scottoiler auto chain lube set up too.

Bike already has upgraded front suspension, with racetech springs & gold valve emulators...just needs to be set up for touring comfort, rather than sports riding.

As for the forward mounted pegs...if your legs need a stretch, just put them up on the frame sliders on the long, straight bits when no traffic is about!

Will post photo's later tonight of what I have done so far..can't now as I am posting via iPhone.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted on this thread.... Have you looked into the Vista Cruise or some sort of cruise control like it? for $40 US it was a great investment for me.

I forgot to mention that in my last post...I reckon a decent cruise control is essential...but is there a cruise control that works with heated grips...am I right in thinking that if you have one of these two items on the bike, that you can't fit the other???

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a throddle lock that came with my FZ6 when I bought it. It is nice to give my hand a break from time to time, but I don't use it that much. Mine isn't anything fancy just a clamp with a thumb lock on it. I couldn't even tell you what the make is of it.

marsh0787

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a throddle lock that came with my FZ6 when I bought it. It is nice to give my hand a break from time to time, but I don't use it that much. Mine isn't anything fancy just a clamp with a thumb lock on it. I couldn't even tell you what the make is of it.

sounds about like what i've got. 7/8th inch universal cruise control (vista cruise). thumb activated. quick to install.

"I forgot to mention that in my last post...I reckon a decent cruise control is essential...but is there a cruise control that works with heated grips...am I right in thinking that if you have one of these two items on the bike, that you can't fit the other???"

I'm not sure for certian, but it appeared that the kit i ordered, (universal Vista cruis 7/8th) came with extra rubber to make different grip thickeness work with it....

Last edited:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
It might be the same thing, it only locks the throddle in place and is designed so you could undo it by twisting the throddle. It works but doesn't really maintain your current speed, just the throddle possition .

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Ventura sports saddle bags, that can expand but I doubt if I ever will do that as I will become very unaerodynamic. Infact, saw a guy on the freeway with a new Triumph ST1050 and he had ripped the nice panniers off and put a Ventura rack and bag on the back in the interest of wind resistance.
No tank bag for me, I adore my tank and its looks.
I have an Oxford bungee cargo holder for my sleeping bag which I wrap in a Drizabone and have on the passengers seat. Sometimes I also carry a Pillow I got at Rays outdoors that is about a third the size of a sleeping bag.
I always wear my despatch riders bag from ozzy disposals (army)

and that is that.
Its all in my lounge right now as I am off to the Grampians this weekend.
I figure if I needed anything else I would buy an ST1050.
But right now the Fazer does the job.
Plus I am notorously tight fisted with money, almost cried when I bought the panniers but my 30 year old army backpack looked shabby on bungees behind the seat.

Have a safe longweekend, I am in practice mode tomorrow on the Great Ocean Road.

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see why a throttle lock would interfere with heated grips. Many of the guys I work with have added Throttlemeisters to their BMWs which come with heated grips from the factory. One of the guys has a KZ1000 that has both heated grips and a vista cruise installed.