Time to upgrade the helmet!

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
So my current helmet is a Fulmer, DOT only helmet that was about 4-5 years old. It was showing its signs of wear, so I began looking for an upgrade. I visited all of the local shops to see and try on all brands that I could and narrowed it down to 3 options

-Scorpion Exo-500
-HJC IS-16
-LS2 FF386

I wanted a helmet around $200 or less, full face, ear pockets for headset speakers, breath guard, an an integrated sun shield. All of these had the minimum requirements, and having never heard of the LS2 brand I went in very skeptical.

The HJC not as comfy on me and was the heaviest. Price was good, $175. Inner sunshade operation was on the top and didn't work real well with gloves on. Looks we're good, but it didn't fit me the best no matter what size I tried. The sun shade was a very light tint, not really dark enough like sun glasses.* This was my least favorite choice.

The Scorpion was very nice, and fit well...although I had to go to a XXL when I'm normally a LG. shield operation was good, and fit and finish was top notch. The tinted shield also was not very dark, but dark smoke was available for extra $. Had pump inflatable cheek pads, made for a great fit. Looked good, and fit well. Price was $199. My close second choice.

Finally the LS2. Top quality fit an finish! Looked great, and seemed very well made. It was the lightest of all 3. Also had inflatable cheek pads. Size ran true. This helmet had a few extras that I liked, aero skirt below chin, ratchet latch for strap, and a nice dark tinted inner sun visor. It was $189. Of all three it fit me best an felt the lightest. I've never heard of the company but apparently they're popular in Asia and Europe...new to America.

So I ordered one in flat black! Figure it would be worth a shot!

It's due to be picked up on Wednesday, so I'll update more after I get it home.

Anyone else have experience with LS2?

Last edited:

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the idea of the inflatable cheeks in helmets. The new Cyclegear catalog has a helmet on the cover that has this feature. I have to admit that when I saw that, I was a little envyous. While my helmet fits fine, I'd have to believe it could fit even better with that adjustment.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased a seven zero seven from cycle gear this summer the model was the vendetta 2 only $139 now it is dot and snell approved. Fits me well I like it

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use & love my OGK FF5
f.ashx
its super light , great airflow , doesnt fog , visor is the simplest i've seen to remove & it wont cost you an arm & a leg :thumbup:

And its fully MotoGP tested so it makes it super cool :rolleyes:

moto-gp-kousuke-akiyoshi_70648.jpg

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Shark Helmets!.....Just my opinion :BLAA:

Otherwise, HJC make several version with almost all of the features you are looking for. The HJC IS-MAX even has a bluTooth ready set up.

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked out cycle gear.com and looked at the 707 helmet. I can't tell if it has the inner sun visor, and not being able to see it in person and know how it fits....I am skeptical.

And I don't think that OGK is available here in the US? I can't find a distributer for them.

I think Ill just see how the LS2 fits when it comes in. I like the look of it, and it fit me very well. Only concern is if I can use the Scala Rider G4 headset with it. The location you normally install the unit on the LH side is where the inner shield release is located. Gonna take it with me and give it a try.

Ill keep you all updated!