Trouble shifting down

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I had issues shifting down from 3rd to 2nd & 1st. I did a lot of riding this weekend and on the last day the bike mostly refused to shift down. The oil was changed 4k KMs ago, so maybe it needs to be changed, but it still should be fine. All that has been used in the bike is Motul 7100. I'm considering using the Motul 5100 or a thicker diesel oil.

And ideas guys? Thanks.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I run Rotella T6 5w40. Good stuff and cheap. Were you moving at the time you were shifting? I find that if I try to shift down when I'm hardly moving at all that sometimes it will not work, even on other bikes.

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
I run Rotella T6 5w40. Good stuff and cheap. Were you moving at the time you were shifting? I find that if I try to shift down when I'm hardly moving at all that sometimes it will not work, even on other bikes.

Both, tied shifting down when moving and stopped, mostly didn't shift down. Might try adjusting the clutch a bit more and lubing the linkage.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
A few things come to mind:

First, make sure your clutch cable is adjusted properly, manual says you should have 3mm of play at the end of the lever.

Then, make sure your shifter linkage is greased, especially the joint under the rubber boot, on the engine side.

Lastly, sometimes, especially when coasting to a stop, or if you stopped in 2nd or 3rd and try to shift back down to 1st the shift lever will not respond.
All you have to do is slowly let go of the clutch lever until you feel and hear something click, no need to go all the way out. Once it has clicked, pull the clutch back in and you should now be able to click the gears down.

Not sure why or how this happens, but it is normal.

Also, make sure that you allow the lever to reset when trying to downshift more than one gear, if you don't let it click back into its regular position it will not work.

Motul 7100 is good stuff, i use it in my bike, and it made the box feel a lot better than the Mobil 1 that came in the bike when i bought it.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I had this problem and it was just the shift lever hanging up due to a lack of grease. Take everything apart and lube it up, should shift much more smoothly.

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
Lubed the shifter parts as mentioned. Looks like it's gonna rain for days, so can't get out to try it. I'll report back. Crossing fingers!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
If the bike isn't moving then the gears are't turning, if nothings turning then the only way it will shift is if all the dogs and slots or dogs and dogs are lined up. Slipping the clutch or rocking the bike forward and back should be enough to line thing up and completing the shift.

But in this case it sounds like you need to adjust the clutch. Don't be afraid to give the adjuster a little turn whenever it is suspect. That's why it's there.

Andar

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar/same thing happen to me. Bike would not down shift 95% of the time. I lubed the shifter linkage up and loosened the actual shifter A tiny bit as it was insanely tight.
That immediately solved my issue.
I blame the rain and salt I got stuck in a ride or two before that.
Hope this helps.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar/same thing happen to me. Bike would not down shift 95% of the time. I lubed the shifter linkage up and loosened the actual shifter A tiny bit as it was insanely tight.
That immediately solved my issue.
I blame the rain and salt I got stuck in a ride or two before that.
Hope this helps.

Just curious; what exactly are your referring to here? "and loosened the actual shifter"

Tks

shiftshaft.gif

clutch.gif

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We did this a while ago....

• FWIW: the gears can't go in at a stop as they physically can't fit the peg in the hole until the gears rotate a small amount.

Reference is the 2 gears at bottom of picture; the clutch dogs (2nd gear up w/3 outgoing protrusions ) must fit into the recess in the opposing gear to lock it in. When you're stopped and the clutch is disengaged, sometimes the clutch dogs rest right on the ridge separating the recess thus it will not drop into gear until some form of rotation occurs:
A) roll the bike moving the output shaft.
B) release the clutch moving the input shaft.

IMG_0935_zpseb641be8.jpg

JJD952 - Clutch

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I loosened screw number #17 on the physical shifter lever.
Sorry, I was on mobile and couldn't link any pictures.

Thanks for the clarification on that. ^^
You might check that your assembly order/part count matches the drawing. Perhaps yours has an extra washer or something? The bolt is a positive stop to the rear sets. The levers end play is set by beveled washer (spring) to keep tension on the assembly. Even when the bolt is tight, it should have some end play to slide in and out.

The reason I say this is I'd hate for it to loosen and fall out. It relies on being the proper torque to secure it and not induce wear to threads from being loose. Perhaps clean and lube may be beneficial?

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
Kinda agree, Perhaps clean and lube may be beneficial. :thumbup:

It should not matter how tight Item 17 might be because is a “shoulder bolt” ...
What makes shoulder screws different is the smooth portion of the shaft. Often longer than the threaded portion, this smooth cylinder shape is what allows for movement and rotation. When the screw is held in place the bolt works well to hold an item in place while still allowing it to be spun around the smooth portion of the screw. – just saying :D

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say 1st picture greasing part nr25 and similar looking one on part 21 as well as the 17 bolt or whatever it is.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I dun had the same issue Sunday; couldn't get the bike into 1st come'in back from mah 600+ mi. adventure. I slimed the parts you have circled in red, 'n adjusted the lever up a little.
I believe from 2007 on(?) that the foot pegs are rubber mounted, 'n even though the bolts are tight (hold'in the foot peg assembly) there's a lotta slop thar. Dunno if that has anythang to do with it? :don'tknow: I might try to add washers to tighten that up sum mor?
The bike wuz fine commute'in yesterday, but the problem only seemed to surface on a long ride.

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
I dun had the same issue Sunday; couldn't get the bike into 1st come'in back from mah 600+ mi. adventure. I slimed the parts you have circled in red, 'n adjusted the lever up a little.
I believe from 2007 on(?) that the foot pegs are rubber mounted, 'n even though the bolts are tight (hold'in the foot peg assembly) there's a lotta slop thar. Dunno if that has anythang to do with it? :don'tknow: I might try to add washers to tighten that up sum mor?
The bike wuz fine commute'in yesterday, but the problem only seemed to surface on a long ride.

True, there is lots of play and it all moves around!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kinda agree, Perhaps clean and lube may be beneficial. :thumbup:

It should not matter how tight Item 17 might be because is a “shoulder bolt” ...
What makes shoulder screws different is the smooth portion of the shaft. Often longer than the threaded portion, this smooth cylinder shape is what allows for movement and rotation. When the screw is held in place the bolt works well to hold an item in place while still allowing it to be spun around the smooth portion of the screw. – just saying :D

^^ However, it should be tight enough that continued use will not pull the threads out from being too loose.

The joint fixed to the lever is an actual ball joint and is sealed well. The other, # 25 needs greased occasionally....

^^ your's sounds like the clutch plates all stuck together from a long run with perhaps minimal shifting? :don'tknow: Point: Other members have reported this before.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I loosened screw number #17 on the physical shifter lever.

As noted above, bolt #17 has a shoulder and bottoms out. Its should be tight (couldn't find the torque spec's).

One of those washers, (if you go to the full parts page), is a "wave washer".

That keeps slop to a minimum but the lever still moves freely. Its possible someone lost it and replaced it with a regular washer (too thick and thus) literally tightened down the lever to the frame..