Shifter issue!

Scoot05redss

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a little problem. I have an 06 FZ6 with roughly 14k miles on it. It has been sitting up for about 6 months with only a mile or two here and there over that time put on it. Well I get new tires and lube up the chain and strike out to work today. About 30 miles into my trip I need to downshift from 2nd to 1st, and NOTHING. I push the shifter down and it hits nothing, just flops down and won't shift down. So I put my foot under the shifter and slightly pulled up, not shifting into 3rd but just a up alil and then try 1st again and there it is! So the newxt 20 miles of my trip is me fighting with the gear shifter and having to do that to get it to down shift and sometime upshift. Now I have no idea what's going on! I didn't change the oil since I brought it back out, and I know our tranny is fed from that, but i had changed it about 1 month before I parked it. I'm going to get new oil tonight and gonna change it tomorrow to see if that helps. You guys have any ideas???? I'm stumped. Could it be my input shaft that the gear lever is hooked to? I'm have no idea. Thanks in advance guys!

Your shifter linkage is gummed up.... it needs to be lubricated. There is too much resistance on the shifter shaft, so it cannot 'center' itself between shifts. That means the internal parts that select the next gear set cannot release the one they are currently 'on'.

Get out the spray can of lithium grease, or WD-40, and spray some on every point of the shifter linkage. The pivot the pedal rides on, both ends of the linkage going to the input shaft on the side of the tranny case, and the shaft going into the tranny as well.

Wiggle everything a bunch to work in the lube...... should sort it out in short order.

Last edited:
Your shifter linkage is gummed up.... it needs to be lubricated. There is too much resistance on the shifter shaft, so it cannot 'center' itself between shifts. That means the internal parts that select the next gear set cannot release the one they are currently 'on'.

Get out the spray can of lithium grease, or WD-40, and spray some on every point of the shifter linkage. The pivot the pedal rides on, both ends of the linkage going to the input shaft on the side of the tranny case, and the shaft going into the tranny as well.

Wiggle everything a bunch to work in the lube...... should sort it out in short order.

Sounds like a plan! I appreciate the quick response!! I'll do all that in the morning and change the oil as well!

Let us know if that cures what ails you. :)

You sir are a genius and a life saver! It worked beautifully. I didn't get around to changing the oil. Just bought some penetration lubricant and lubed her up last night, working it in by wiggling the pedal as suggested. And then sprayed it again this morning before our ride. About 4 hours ride time today and NOT ONE shifting incident!! I can't thank you enough!

No worries Scoot...

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt... happy to pass it along. Since it worked aces on the shifter linkage, go ahead and do the pivots on the hand controls, and the rear brake linkage as well. The engine end of the clutch cable, too.... If one needed it, the others aren't far behind.

Back