Turn signal failure

thezombie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what's going on with the turn signals on my bike right now...

• When I signal left everything is fine, front/side/rear all flash.
  • When I signal right, the indicator light on the gauge cluster is solid on and no lights come on. 1/2 of my LED tail light turns off as it should.
  • When I hit my hazard switch EVERYTHING comes on and functions properly.

I isolated the right front/side signals from the circuit and it didn't change anything. Any help from this point is much appreciated.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

I would disconnect the tail light assembly to see if your indicators work normally. You may have faulty tail lamp electronics.
Try this 1st and then let us know what happens. :)

Also if you're using the OEM flasher you should switch over to a replacement electronic flasher. The OEM flash get cranky when there is a not factory load etc.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Cliff,
heres another strange indicator behaviour.
This has only happened to me twice now.
The firts time about three years back and the second time only this week.

I ridealong as per normal, indicate, brake turn left/.right no issues. then maybe only 100 mtres til the next turn and no indicators or hazards.
Both times I have been almost home so when I get in the drive turn off the bike turn it on and voila it all works.

1st time all wiring was stock(from memory). This time I have the hyper lites and a LED tail brake light, a led number plate lamp and led parking lamp in the headlight, but it has all been working fine and the indicators have never been touched.

dodgy flasher unit??? and if I decide to go all LED findicators should I swap out the flasher unit anyway?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Cliff,
heres another strange indicator behaviour.
This has only happened to me twice now.
The firts time about three years back and the second time only this week.

I ridealong as per normal, indicate, brake turn left/.right no issues. then maybe only 100 mtres til the next turn and no indicators or hazards.
Both times I have been almost home so when I get in the drive turn off the bike turn it on and voila it all works.

1st time all wiring was stock(from memory). This time I have the hyper lites and a LED tail brake light, a led number plate lamp and led parking lamp in the headlight, but it has all been working fine and the indicators have never been touched.

dodgy flasher unit??? and if I decide to go all LED findicators should I swap out the flasher unit anyway?
It could be an intermittent problem with the flasher. What I like about the electronic flashers is they are not load dependent. Also keep in mind that LEDs and logic control for driving LEDs in the integrated tail lamps may be effected by line noise or voltage potential on the wiring. The controller must have all the protection available for good design. LEDs operate very fast from the on to off state while bulb filaments take more time to heat and cool. If you're using both types on the same circuit there could be problems in a logic circuit if it is not protected.:)

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah I think that as it isso intermittent that until I sawpa out he ulbs for leds I shouldn't be too concerned. But when I do, go the whole hog and switch the lot.

Yamaha do a straight carbon like light housing---same basic shape--with clear/smoked lens ans LED lamp

BUT its about aus $95 a pai

thezombie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll update my post so this doesn't become a "Fixed it, nevermind" post where someone has the exact problem but no one bothers to post their answer.

All my signals are on my bike are LED except for the two signal lights next to my plate. I didn't know that you needed a resistor in parallel with your LED's and since I had a bulb in the circuit it worked regardless. Bulb on right side of bike went out = load problems on that side of bike. That's why it worked with the 4-ways on because the other bulb was now in the circuit with the right side of the bike. I grabbed a resistor kit from the auto parts store and wired them in now everything is working properly.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll update my post so this doesn't become a "Fixed it, nevermind" post where someone has the exact problem but no one bothers to post their answer.

All my signals are on my bike are LED except for the two signal lights next to my plate. I didn't know that you needed a resistor in parallel with your LED's and since I had a bulb in the circuit it worked regardless. Bulb on right side of bike went out = load problems on that side of bike. That's why it worked with the 4-ways on because the other bulb was now in the circuit with the right side of the bike. I grabbed a resistor kit from the auto parts store and wired them in now everything is working properly.

Do this.... https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...versal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/

The electronic flasher eliminates the inefficiency of load resistors. Load resistor equal heat plus current used that you would normally save using the LEDs. The electronic flasher relay will flash at the same rate regardless of load ( within in current spec.)variation from full incandescent to combinations with LEDs and incandescent lamps or full LED compliment. :)