turn signal help!!

mbdragon55

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. I bought a 05 FZ6 used recently and have been working on it. I've been lurking on the forum and it's been a lot of help.

So the bike came with a streetfighter conversion and two bros exhaust and the guy installed new turn signals in the front and back. The bike came with the signals not working. When I press the switch on the handle bar, nothing happens. All 4 signals don't light up and even the signal light in the speedo doesn't come on. I've changed the flasher relay to the new one from superbrightled.com as advised in another thread but still the same problem.

I saw that couple of wires were unplugged so I pulled up a wiring diagram and tried to work through it. The blue/red wire was not plugged in to the signals (see pic attached). But when I plug it in like the diagram states (blur/red wire to the green wire), the light stays constantly on and even the signal light in the speedo stays on constantly.

What else can I do? Thanks in advance for the help.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the front of the bike the indicators originally had running light and directional filament in the same bulb. If it's LED there is only one filament and the blue/blue with red tracer wire are no longer used. Below are the color codes to run your indicators. There is also a good chance a fuse is blown. Get you wires sorted properly and then if you have no running light or directionals the fuse will probably be blown because a wire was shorted. Make sure the blue with red tracer or any wire that is not being used is taped off and insulated from shorting again. :)

When you turn the key on you should have a tail light filament lit. If not it's a good chance the fuse is blown. That same fuse powers the running/tail lights and the flashers. The 4 way flasher is the same circuit...

Left front turn signal with running light. That's two filament per bulb in the front.
Chocolate colored wire= turn signal filament.
Blue colored wire= running light filament.
Black wire= Ground or negative.

Right front turn signal with running light.
Dark green colored wire= turn signal filament.
Blue with a red tracer colored wire= running light filament.

Left rear turn signal.
Chocolate colored wire= turn signal filament.

Right rear turn signal.
Dark green colored wire= turn signal filament.

Brake light
Yellow colored wire = brake light
Blue colored wire = running light

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

mbdragon55

Reaction score
Visit site
I wired it just like you said and still nothing. The tail light works perfectly and your tail fuse is also good, replaced it just to be sure and still nothing.
Any suggestions on how to proceed ?

Btw doe anyone know of any led turn signals that will mount on the streetfighter conversion front ?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wired it just like you said and still nothing. The tail light works perfectly and your tail fuse is also good, replaced it just to be sure and still nothing.
Any suggestions on how to proceed ?

Btw doe anyone know of any led turn signals that will mount on the streetfighter conversion front ?

There is the possibility that the wiring on the flasher got reversed. The flasher will only work in one direction. Try reversing the flasher wires. It won't hurt it but if the wires are reversed from how they're supposed to be the flasher will not pass current or operate. If this doesn't work we'll try something else to walk you through this, The wires going to the flasher should be one brown with a green tracer and one brown with a white tracer. Are those the color codes attached to the flasher? The brown with the green tracer should have 12 VDC when the key is on. Do you have a cheepo 12volt test light probe? If you don't get one because you'll track down problem really fast with one as far as know where voltage is or is not etc..

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Check for a corroded plug near the head behind the battery box coming from the handlebar switch. I had an intermittent fault with mine where all the indicators would stop working. Nb you need to remove the air box for access, and you'll need a long set off allen keys to get it back on.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! I found short strip lights .(about 5 inches) and made great running lights for my older Toyota. 17 bucks. They work great and would make bright turn indicators.

Jordan

Reaction score
Visit site
There is the possibility that the wiring on the flasher got reversed. The flasher will only work in one direction. Try reversing the flasher wires. It won't hurt it but if the wires are reversed from how they're supposed to be the flasher will not pass current or operate. If this doesn't work we'll try something else to walk you through this, The wires going to the flasher should be one brown with a green tracer and one brown with a white tracer. Are those the color codes attached to the flasher? The brown with the green tracer should have 12 VDC when the key is on. Do you have a cheepo 12volt test light probe? If you don't get one because you'll track down problem really fast with one as far as know where voltage is or is not etc..

Hey there, I have a 2005 fz6 that I just purchased with the signals innop also.

Very similar situation as the op.

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone can help me out.

None of my signals work, hazard doesn't work either, nothing lights up on the dash, or the (aftermarket led) signals.

I found what I think is the flasher relay shoved in the aftermarket headlight.

(Both brown and green wires at this relay)

I checked and don't have 12v at either of the terminals, I checked with the engine running also, no voltage

Thanks for any input anyone might have!

20211211_155224.jpg20211211_143615.jpgScreenshot_20211211-101657_Facebook.jpg

Jordan

Reaction score
Visit site
Check for a corroded plug near the head behind the battery box coming from the handlebar switch. I had an intermittent fault with mine where all the indicators would stop working. Nb you need to remove the air box for access, and you'll need a long set off allen keys to get it back on.
I'll check that On mine, thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
@Jordan You should have a brown with white tracer wire and a brown with green tracer wire going to the flasher relay. The brown with green tracer wire should have 12 volts positive when the key is in the on position. If you have a stock relay and the load of the directional light is improper rhe relay may not want to work. I recommend an electronic flasher relay which will work with LED, incandescent or mixed lamps.
First 12 Pos vdc at the brown with white tracer.

Last edited:

Jordan

Reaction score
Visit site
@Jordan You should have a brown with white tracer wire and a brown with green tracer wire going to the flasher relay. The brown with white tracer wire should have 12 volts positive when the key is in the on position. If you have a stock relay and the load of the directional light is improper rhe relay may not want to work. I recommend an electronic flasher relay which will work with LED, incandescent or mixed lamps.
First 12 Pos vdc at the brown with white tracer.

I'll check that, and report back.

If I don't have 12v at the relay, am I then starting to trace wires back to the fuse box, or could it be something else?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry: Correction: There should be 12 pos. on the brown with green tracer. There may be 12 pos. on the brown with white tracer but be sure the brown with green tracer has voltage.
Yes that brown with green tracer goes directly to the fuse. You don't need to start the engine, just key on position. Headlamp relay is the only circuit the needs the engine running.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the original OEM flasher and you have LED or mixed LED and incandescent lights you might want to change out to an electronic flasher.
There may be load resistors installed so it would be a good idea to look for possible shorts or opens on wiring feeding the indicator lights.