Turning an FZ6 into an R6?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I know the FZ6 has an R6 engine in it, but its detuned. How hard/expensive would it be to turn that FZ6 engine into a full-bred R6 engine once again?

hmm, yes ive seen that thread. its actually what prompted this thread. is it just bigger cams then?

hmm, yes ive seen that thread. its actually what prompted this thread. is it just bigger cams then?

Cam characteristics are generally related to lift and duration so the lobes are machined differently to provide how long the valve is open and how much it is opened. Our FZ6 cams provide for a tamer performance curve as well as a computer map that's different. I believe those are the only differences in the FZ6 and R6 motors. A Power Commander will take care of the computer part and an R6 cam will take care of enhancing how the engine gets the mix in and out. It's actually a very complex science and Wolfman is also doing a bore kit so he can get another bump up in horsepower and torque.

Cliff

Cam characteristics are generally related to lift and duration so the lobes are machined differently to provide how long the valve is open and how much it is opened. Our FZ6 cams provide for a tamer performance curve as well as a computer map that's different. I believe those are the only differences in the FZ6 and R6 motors. A Power Commander will take care of the computer part and an R6 cam will take care of enhancing how the engine gets the mix in and out. It's actually a very complex science and Wolfman is also doing a bore kit so he can get another bump up in horsepower and torque.

Cliff

I am still contemplating whether to actually have the R6 cams worked a little bit before putting them in the bike...well the guy who is doing the build is looking at it...might free up a few more ponies, on top of what the standard r6 cam, & big bore kit, with it's high comp pistons...remember, this kit also raises the compression quite significantly as well...

I could just drop an R6 motor in, and put a big bore kit on that, but cost would be similar....and at least i know the motor i have got in my bike is still in very good condition...

:thumbup:

The best way would be to drop in a used R6 motor along with all its equipment. ECU, throttle bodies, etc.

Then you have to make it connect up to the FZ6 airbox, and get the R6 ECU to talk to the FZ6 dashboard.

I doubt that it would be a bolt-in modification. It would take some effort.

i haven't ridden an R6, is there that much differance in performance?

Well if you takle the 03 R6 donor motor...not that much...they pull about 104hp at the rear wheel on a dyno....a stock FZ6 pulls about 89-90hp at the rear wheel....and FZ6 with pipes, power commander & custom map...about 95-98hp, depending on pipes used and tune...

:thumbup:

We don't have ram-air, I remember someone looked into some way to do it a while back but I think they said due to the tank and frame design there is no space for a passage in front. This got me thinking about side pods, but I don't think anyone has bothered with those yet. I also read somewhere the R6 had slightly higher CR because of a different head gasket. There was something different about the fuel injectors too, I think the FZ6 controls two injectors at a time (batch), and the R6 is sequential.

Last edited:
We don't have ram-air,

Nobody that doesn't fly a jet has ram air. At best they have a freer flowing cold air intake. The Ram Air concept is a sales pitch. Can a really good intake improve HP by a few percent? Yep. But the sales pitch of ram air tries to imply that you are forcing more air into the motor, resulting in a slight supercharge effect. There simply is not enough compression available at any land speed that will allow this. The motor is pulling air in much faster than you are supplying it by moving into the air stream. We have been arguing about this for ever on the Pontiac forums. :)

Nobody that doesn't fly a jet has ram air. At best they have a freer flowing cold air intake. The Ram Air concept is a sales pitch. Can a really good intake improve HP by a few percent? Yep. But the sales pitch of ram air tries to imply that you are forcing more air into the motor, resulting in a slight supercharge effect. There simply is not enough compression available at any land speed that will allow this. The motor is pulling air in much faster than you are supplying it by moving into the air stream. We have been arguing about this for ever on the Pontiac forums. :)

being a fellow pontiac lover

if there is no air being forced into the motor then how is it that on a buddys n/a car he has a boost/vac guage and when on the track he sees about 1.5lbs of boost?? i understand and agree that speed is needed but if there is pressure not vacume in there then how can one say that ram air dont work??

what kind of pontiac do you have btw?

I've heard the arguments back and forth about ram air, just being marketing, not doing anything below 100mph, etc. Sport Rider actually tested it a few years back on the topic. In any case, have you seen our dinky little intake snorkel? It isn't exactly the most free-flowing thing out there.

Here's the Sport Rider link:
Sport Rider-ram air induction test for sport bike motorcycles

I don't think anyone will argue that the FZ6 has a ram air intake. It definitely does not. But ram air does work. It's not a huge effect at highway speeds, but the faster you go the more it does work. And since it's not much more than well shaped ducts, it's a cheap way to add a few HP to the top end.

I do believe you can not change the FZ6 to a 06+ R6, seeing as they are totally different motors. R6 has a 599cc, where as ours and the R6s have a 600cc engine.

Now I have heard that to change to the R6s motor, all we need is cams and the fuel injection modulator for the R6s. In fact, a common mod at my dealer for R6s' is to change to our cams, as they provide a bit more torque lower down.

The solution to every thread about people wanting to turn it into an R6 is always the same:

Buy an R6.

so right... even if the engine issues were corrected, you still wouldnt have a ram air, even if you install one, you would still have a heavier bike, if you managed to reduce the weight, you would still have crappy aerodynamics.

i dont get it just pick the maximum speed you want your bike to reach, sell the fz6 and get the appropriate SS one.. its not that difficult really (and this is coming from someone that actually downgraded to the FZ6 from 2 CBR600's)

Ahh, the thread that just won't die.

I look at it this way, if you want to mod the motor or replace it with an R6, do it! It would be a fun project. Half the fun of the project if figuring out how to make it all work.

Personally I like the way that Wolfman is going with the big bore kit. I think that along with a set of cams will be a great combination. No replacement for displacement, right?

On the other hand you could buy an R6 and put in a set of Convertibars and get a better saddle. With that option you get the motor and a much better suspension. It all depends on what you like.

Do what makes you happy. Blown Busa???

Back